[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diabetes app
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: app.jpg (80 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
app.jpg
80 KB, 700x500
My slightly autistic study group has chosen to make a diabetes app for the summer school project.

Anyone here with diabetes? What do you need in a diabetes app? What is lacking in existing diabetes apps?
>>
>>55172162
a cure for diabetes
>>
>>55172183
this

/thread
>>
>>55172183
>>55172197
>a cure for diabetes

Sorry, not possible yet:

https://developer.android.com/reference/packages.html#q=cure%20diabetes

Other suggestions?
>>
>>55172204
Just because the standard library doesn't give you a ready made implementation of something doesn't mean you can't do it.
>>
>>55172226
I know.
Just a tongue-in-cheek critique of a tongue-in-cheek idea.
>>
>>55172162
Your group is going about this wrong. "What do you need in a diabetes app?" is not the right question. Identify a need, then design a tool to fill it. Don't decide to make a given sort of tool and then go out hunting for a need it can fill.
>>
have the phone measure blood glucose levels

wait, they cant.
what a dumb app idea

maybe you could have people enter in their glucose level into the phone and have it spit out "You're dying"
>>
make diabeetus crush, because diabetics can't handle all the sugar in normal candy crush
>>
type 1, just a reminder for insulin shots/metformin
type 2, no idea, link to buy a glucose meter?

(I might have mixed them up)
>>
>>55172183
DNP, to some extent. Resets insulin sensitivity. If you don't produce any, you're still fucked.

Sincerely, /fit/
>>
Diabetic here. I would look for:
-flexible diary entries for carbohydrates, insulin and blood sugar measurements
-blood sugar graphs over user-set time span, maybe with insulin/carb data superimposed somehow

Haven't found an app on the store that does this well and with no fuss (make sure to make everything accessible with as few clicks as possible) so far.
>>
>>55172450
Also, if you haven't already, you should look into how diabetes is managed. That will give you a better understanding of what could be useful in your app.

You could do automatic calculation of the insulin dose required based on carbohydrate and correction factors the user enters. That would be kinda neat.
>>
diabetes makes you lose sight. maybe something to train your eyes for a couple of minutes a day so that you minimize the sight loss?
>>
>>55172498
Diabetes does not make you lose sight.
Chronically elevated blood sugar, however, does. The eyes are one of the organs most sensitive to high blood sugar or high blood pressure.
>>
reminder to check that both your feet are still attached
>>
>>55172552
It should say "my legs are OK"
>>
>>55172549
>Chronically elevated blood sugar
thats diabetes you autist
>>
>>55172583
Diabetes is much more than hyperglycaemia, which is just the most common symptom in those with a diet high in carbohydrates.
>>
>>55172162
I don't have diabetes but my younger brother does. Carb counting, time keeping and record keeping are your best bets. Look up portion sizes and the nutritional value of foods and give an idea of how much sugar and starch is in each food. You really, really don't want to touch calculating units of insulin and you want a really good EULA to limit liability. Too many units of insulin can result in coma or death, among other things. Too few and you're talking organisation damage, amputated limbs, blindness, death. As far as I'm aware, no apps handle insulin because no one dares.
>>
>>55172676
>organisation damage
Stupid. Android. Fucking. Autocorrect.
>>
I'm not diabetic but I'm a nurse, I think a good app should have:

A built in glycemic index so they can search foods and find out how it's going to affect the glucose levels.

An alarm to remind them to check their glucose 4x a day or so.

A table of some sort that keeps track of their glucose levels and puts it on a graph.

Information about signs of hypoglycemia, DKA, HHNS and mild hyperglycemia.

That's all I can think off
>>
>>55172669
thats not a chronic case.
>>
>>55172676
>You really, really don't want to touch calculating units of insulin
The doctor prescribes all insulin amounts so there's no need for OP to be doing insulin calc. The patient gets a table for the amount of insulin to take for various glucose readings as well as how much to take if they're sick with a cold or something.
>>
>>55172719
>but I'm a nurse

Are u cute grill?
>>
Make sure the app can work on the apple watch cause we know every phat cat has one & we don't want those people to die.
>>
Reinventing the Fitbit. Look!
>>
Here's a good idea. Dev an app th@ spots autism.
>>
>>55172439
how will it not kill you?
>>
Reverse engineer and chink-clone the Freestyle Libre glucose monitor sensors and make a phone app to read them. Charge half what Freestyle charge and you will still make bank.
>>
>>55172162
>school

12 yo edgy
>>
>>55172495
This, calculating the insulin dose automatically would be fucking neat
>>
>>55172162
You'd be better off in whine9k
>>
>>55172844
Don't take to much. Dose takes 5 days to build up. So always wait 5 days before increasing the done. Start low.
Avoid heat. Stay hydrated.

That's about all you need to know to avoid death. There is more to tell about how to not feel excruciatingly miserable on higher doses. In which case you exceeded the sweet spot anyway and should take a break before resuming with a a slightly lower dose.
>>
You can create a simple device that checks your blood and sends alerta to your iPhone so you can see how much insuline you have left
>>
>>55172162

Type 1 (aka real Diabetes) or Type 2 (aka put down the fork)?
>>
>>55172433

You do have them mixed.
>>
File: 1423705616071.png (177 KB, 523x393) Image search: [Google]
1423705616071.png
177 KB, 523x393
An app that helps with meal or treatment planning could be helpful. Could help younger diabetics adjust. Upon first time use, the app asks what your treatment rate is, (I.e. one unit of insulin for every 20 carbs) and perhaps when you normally eat. It'll post a reminder after time has passed after a meal. I'm not sure if it's possible, but you could even give the app a carb-counting ability. The end result might be "Hey, take your goddamned medication, moron! You're telling me you ate this and this, so this dosage would be acceptable." Your main issue here, I think, is accounting for other things like exercise that influence blood sugar. It may be inconvenient to log every single damn thing you do, and surely it would be inconvenient trying to predict all those effects on your end. That's all I can think of right now.
>>
>>55172204
My suggestion is get off here you under aged little faggot.
>>
>>55172162
Heres an idea, make a app that has acsess to a huge ass database of how much carbs are in foods,what are some foods carb ratios (a number you can use when you weigh food to find how many carbs are IN food) and general datakeeping and such.
>>
>>55173037
Already exists
>MFP
>FDDB

There are probably more
>>
>>55172162
Idk if you're able to measure all the things necessary because it requires blood testing.

But you could maybe include a reminder to take medication in the morning and at night.

Also maybe an "emergency" button that sends a text to someone you trust with a message and coordinates to your location in case you forget your insulin and need help or something.

You could also add a diet tracker to make sure the person is getting a proper amount of sugar intake daily.
>>
File: 1466399445664.jpg (233 KB, 1242x1496) Image search: [Google]
1466399445664.jpg
233 KB, 1242x1496
make it so that it automatically schedules euthanasia for you, degenerate faggots with shitty genes getting diabets need to go
>>
>>55174040
Are you a normie?

No >> Then be sure to off yourself too since you're a degenerate.

Yes >> Fucking normies get off of my board REEEEEE
>>
>>55172748
I am male
>>
>>55172162
Make the user enter what his doctor told him, ie how much insulin and when to take it, and send a reminder a few minutes before
>>
>>55172183
I fucking zozzled
>>
File: 1466405577585.png (657 KB, 499x855) Image search: [Google]
1466405577585.png
657 KB, 499x855
>>55174394
diabetic detected
>>
>>55174040
More like shitty diet.
To much alcohol kills your liver.
To much tobacco kills your lungs.
To much sugar kills your pancreas. And heart.

>http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1819573
>>
>>55174891
I meant type 1 diabetes senpai
>>
Nondiabetic but:

I think that given the limitations of phones (no way you're checking blood sugar with them), what you'll want is a really robust diary type app with graphing capabilities, places to mark what/when you ate (maybe even a field to input exact amounts from the nutritional label), a calendar view, medication reminders, etc. This will sound like a hurrrr women joke but you should go check out some of the period tracking apps, it's a lot of the same concepts.
>>
>>55173477
That emergency text idea would be huge. Especially if you could make it into a widget for one press.
>>
>>55174922
Unfortunately, one of the better things modern medicine 'solved' is natural selection.

Give it a hundred years or two hundred, and those genetic errors will pile up until humanity becomes a sack of potatoes.
>>
Adding to >>55172719

>An alarm to remind them to check their glucose 4x a day or so.
Custom alarms for 2 hours after first bite (for glucose).

Also reminder for pills with track of when do they need to resupply.

>tfw when both parents are diabetics
>tfw when three of my grandparents were diabetics
>>
>>55172741
>The doctor prescribes all insulin amounts
No you idiot. Insulin is injected several times a day, diabetics control the doses themselves.
>>
>>55172162
Type 1 Diabetic anon here.

The ability to log these things for every entry:

Blood Sugar, Time of day, type of insulin used, amount of insulin used, notes, alarm/reminder for when to check blood sugar again.

Also, make sure all of that information can be exported to an excel file or something of that nature. That is extremely important because doctors need that shit and I currently have to enter it all myself.

This would be nice:
-nutrition like on the "My fitness pal" app so you can count carbs and log food.
>>
>>55172863
Holy shit this is a great idea. The Freestyle libre isn't approved in the US and I so desperately want it. Being able to monitor with your phone would be awesome.
>>
>>55173477
The emergency text idea is really smart! I can feel a low blood sugar from a mile away but for those that feel it when its too late, this would really useful.
>>
>>55174419
The plight of the nurse.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.