[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Myths, legends, old wives tales and half truths
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: uEySBBQ.jpg (766 KB, 5267x3493) Image search: [Google]
uEySBBQ.jpg
766 KB, 5267x3493
Let's discuss shit we constantly hear being perpetuated in /g/ related circles but have never actually seen or heard evidence to suggest they're even true.

One off the top of my head:

Electrostatic discharges frying modern electronics. People say you should be extremely careful when handling your guts as to not discharge static into them, which is fine and understandable. But when it comes to cleaning guts, using brushes and vacuums near your components makes everyone lose their shit and all they say is "static, man". I did a little research and the most I could find was some guy on some forum talking about the spooky evils of cumulative damage. Yet I could also find quite a few more anecdotes of people having used vacuums, brushes, etc, within their cases for decades without having something fry on them. Is there some sort of conspiracy going on, what is the actual truth here?

Perhaps older components were more susceptible to things like that, like with the myth with taking electronics through airport security x-rays? Anyone got any input?

Feel free to contribute any potential bullshit or interesting horror story you've heard, too.
>>
get out
>>
>>55171965
u
>>
>>55171946
I heard Swift was a gay language. Incedentally I've only heard this on /g/.

I made a machine learning algorithm in swift implementing back-prop neural nets and it's faster than the same thing i did in C++.
>>
File: 1462744480253.jpg (68 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1462744480253.jpg
68 KB, 431x450
>>55173416
>>
>>55173430
never underestimate the power of the optional type or the function type
>>
>>55173430
 /// Trains the network by comparing its most recent output to the given 'answers', adjusting the network's weights as needed.
/// - Parameter answer: The 'correct' desired output for the most recent update to the network, as an array of `Float`s.
/// - Returns: The total calculated error from the most recent update.
public mutating func backpropagate(answer answer: [Float]) throws -> Float {
// Verify valid answer
guard answer.count == self.numOutputs else {
throw FFNNError.InvalidAnswerError("Invalid number of outputs given in answer: \(answer.count). Expected: \(self.numOutputs)")
}

// Calculate output errors
for (outputIndex, output) in self.outputCache.enumerate() {
switch self.activationFunction {
case .Softmax:
self.outputErrorsCache[outputIndex] = output - answer[outputIndex]
default:
self.outputErrorsCache[outputIndex] = self.activationDerivative(output) * (answer[outputIndex] - output)
}
}

// Calculate hidden errors
vDSP_mmul(self.outputErrorsCache, 1,
self.outputWeights, 1,
&self.hiddenErrorSumsCache, 1,
vDSP_Length(1), vDSP_Length(self.numHiddenNodes), vDSP_Length(self.numOutputs))
for (errorIndex, error) in self.hiddenErrorSumsCache.enumerate() {
self.hiddenErrorsCache[errorIndex] = self.activationDerivative(self.hiddenOutputCache[errorIndex]) * error
}
>>
Static is not a myth or a wive's tale. I have constant problems with my PS4 controller losing connection just because I walk over the USB cord without touching something metal first. I actually completely fried my MX518 by reaching over and touching it after sitting down in my chair without realizing I had picked up a static charge.

As for internal components, it depends on your environment. If you're in a very low humidity environment, I would say to definitely be careful about where and how you clean your components, maybe use a wrist band.
>>
>>55173626
that's not static. what you've described are the effects of the urea in your gamer NEET sweat
>>
>>55171946
My odroid xu4 got static damage after the warranty ran out. Some things are more sensitive than others.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.