[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just moved into my apartment in North Carolina. Time Warner cable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: q2y38b59f90_ZU6S9dLe0fIAxWo.jpg (15 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
q2y38b59f90_ZU6S9dLe0fIAxWo.jpg
15 KB, 500x300
Just moved into my apartment in North Carolina. Time Warner cable charges $12 per month in rental costs, looking to cut that shit off quick. I left my parents the Modem Router back at home and decided I would save them the money.

Looking for a reason between getting a Modem and Router separate, or getting a Modem Router combo. Other than cost, which I notice getting separate would be slightly more expensive.

I was thinking the Combo would be easier, but is there a reason to get one over the other?
>>
Lol.
>>
Are you a fucking retard?
>>
>>55167682
/g/ - Normies
>>
>Time Warner cable charges $12 per month in rental costs
lol is this a real thing?
>>
>>55168001
On their lowest plan they charge. On the higher plans it's "free'
>>
>>55168023
But even if they say it's free you get $6 off for having your own
>>
>>55167682
buy a really good router, but a really shitty modem that can still utilize network capacity. I'm not sure about NC, but as fiber rolls out and cable becomes more obsolete, modems are less and less essential. Having a good router is most important. They last a long time, and can really affect network latency, reach, and speed.
>>
>>55168057
I have the ultimate extreme 250up/down plan. For me at least there's no discount, and they only have one modem that supports my plan anyways. I only pay like 59 a month anyways thoigh
>>
>/g/ is not your tech support team
>>
>>55167682
>modem router
>router part breaks, whole modem is shit

>modem router separate
>one or the other having trouble, fix them separately

get an sb6141 and a fucking mikrotik
https://www.amazon.com/SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00OMDZAV0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EQWUZM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

get a different router if you really want AC, but this fucking thing never goes down ever. strongest wifi signal i've ever used.
>>
>>55168001
yea, so did Wowway, Comcast, and ATT. Unless you get an extremely high internet package. I usually just go with 20-50 Down. What do you use?

>>55168087
this doesn't look like tech support. it is a discussion regarding the benefits of two different types of technology.

>>55168131
ive always had a combo and never ran into problems. but i can always appreciate word of mouth.
>>
>>55168184
It is tech support. Its literally a request thread no matter how you mask it
>>
New DOCSIS 3 modems cost about $60. and yes of course use a separate router or optimally several with a open firmware like ddwrt flashed onto them
>>
>>55168184
>What do you use?
I don't live in 'murica so I thought it was just a meme the same way I thought data caps were a meme in Australia
>>
Modem-router combos are generally known to be generally shit quality.
Much like the headset vs headphone + dedicated mic debate, you're a lot better off just buying them separately.
You'll also save money in the long run (about a year) by owning them outright instead of renting them.

What anon linked here >>55168131 is a good combo. If you want to get a router with the new AC wifi standard, you can go with these two:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-DOCSIS-Speed-Cable-TC-7610/dp/B01CH8ZNJ0
https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Archer-C7-Wireless-1300Mbps/dp/B00BUSDVBQ
>>
>>55167682

#1: Make sure that you get a docsis3 modem, preferably docsis3.1, as it's required for IPv6 and can push more data.

#2: Make sure that it's time warner approved. They will not enable modems that don't fit their list.

I'd recommend against a combo router/modem. Buy a cheap modem, put it in bridge mode, and put pfsense on an old computer for routing.
>>
>>55169222
DOCSIS 3.1 isn't required for IPv6 and you can't even widely buy them yet
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.