[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Distros
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: linuxdistros.jpg (14 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
linuxdistros.jpg
14 KB, 259x194
What is the comfiest distro?
I've been testing them in VM but they all seem ass. I'm looking for something to use as a semi-beginner. Also post good customization tools.
>>
>>55156031
Ubuntu
>>
>>55156031
opensuse.
>>
>>55156031
For a semi-beginner?
1. Your flavor of Ubuntu
2. Antergos if you want Cinnamon
3. Linux Mint if arch based distros scare you and you want Cinnamon
4. Your flavor of Fedora
>>
>>55156031
Arch is the comfiest for me 2bg

10/10 only Linux I need
>>
>>55156031
fedora
debian w/ gnome
>>
manjaro cinnamon
>>
>>55156122
Does it ever occur to you that a beginner might barely grasp the concept of a Linux "distro"? You go into all these details and start blabbing about things like Cinnamon.

They just want something that works. You simply put Ubuntu on a USB stick, install it and it works. Antergos works. That's it.

It's unnecessary to get into details. No one cares about WHY this or that works. They just want it to work.
>>
>>55156322
Antergos does but presents slightly scarier options on install and its installer is prone to shitting the bed. Ubuntu through and through, ignore anybody on /g/ who makes fun.

I've done the whole circuit numerous times, tried every distro I hear of. I always come back to Ubuntu, specifically Ubuntu GNOME this time. Everything just works painlessly, and there's a huge helpful community to lean on when it doesn't. (Pro tip: /g/ isn't part of that community.)

Now fuck off OP.
>>
>>55156031

Linux Mint (cinamon is the desktop environment / skin)

It just works with all hardware i have thrown at it, its really polished, i have intalled it on alot of older peoples computers (60year old plus) and they love it and are never going back to windows.
>>
>>55156031
Fedora with Gnome
>>
>>55156444
Is the wrong answer, but thanks for playing.
>>
>>55156409
I agree. Just tried all ubuntu flavors. I did dual boot, xubuntu, kubuntu, normal unity buntu , gnome and mate (i liked mate the best but still). Toyed around each of them a day or two but settled at mint (cinnamon)
>>
File: manjaro.png (97 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
manjaro.png
97 KB, 1366x768
>>55156241
>>
>>55156456
Why? Fedora is enjoyable to use.
>>
>>55156478
But mint is so shit. Slow, crashes all the time, software older than my grandma. I mean come on, it doesn't even smell like mint.

>>55156487
Da fuk is wrong wit u son
>>
Ubuntu
>>
>>55156031
Mandrake
>>
>>55156497
Nothing, mate. My Windows laptop was running like shit, and I wanted something that got updates frequently and was stable with my piece of shit A10 processor. Fedora hasn't let me down.
>>
>>55156031
>comfiest
macOS is recommended for homosexuals
>>
>>55156546
You're adopted and your mother's a whore.
>>
>>55156561
Glad to see you can focus on the argument at hand.
>>
>>55156031
QNX is best
>>
>>55156566
Shut up nignog you know I'm-- oohh shiny!!
>>
>>55156497
I did install the last 18 Beta.
Runs ok for me, and somehow more comfy then the buntu's, also seems running better. aIso I'm a beginner, just started to learn while dual boot w10.
Main goal is to leave w10 behind. Keep it but using only when need to gayming (im not gaming at all since months).
Mint does seem to be a good system for me to start get linux better and learn things.
Install arch/gentoo is a meme or it can be a real goal to know linux better?
>>
>>55156606
Installing Gentoo can be, installing Arch just means you can read a short install guide, type 5 commands in a row, then end up with a retarded Ubuntu system that breaks every other week. At least with Gentoo you get some cool stuff to play with and everyone on /g/ will queue up to suck your dick dry every new moon.
>>
>>55156031
why is FreeBSD on this list?
>>
>>55156660
It's just something to laugh at
>>
>>55156659
thanks, great help!
>>
>>55156031
I don't know.
>>
>>55156031
What this >>55156042 anon says.
It feels weird to say, but that slight orange tint of the default theme and the default fonts just get me in a mood to program stuff and get work done. The light colored default theme of KDE5 does te same to me.

The dark black color design of gnome 3 works counteractive for some reason for me.
>>
hi guys i'm the guy with a hacker writing "happiness" and "tranquility" in my Google docs.

janitor deleted my thread and i only have 3 questions unanswered

i would really appreciate if any of you could answer them because it will really help me regain my security

thanks in advance (will thank you later too)

sorry op. this thread seemed the most relevant thanks for your understanding
i think this thread is about linux

>Yes, because you'll either download the Trojan again, or run outdated vulnerable plugins again, or reinstall old vulnerable programs/operation systems
Will using Ubuntu Gnome instead of Windows prevent me from committing such retarded acts unconsciously?

Will using both Ubuntu Gnome and Windows with dual boot and using Windows for only playing League of Legends and Overwatch, and doing all other stuff (work, studying, writing the novel) on Ubuntu (thus not giving my Google credentials to the Windows part), prevent the hacker from snooping on my Google Docs document?

In other words, even if the hacker has a RAT Trojan on my Windows part, he can't snoop on or make changes to what's on the Ubuntu part, am i correct?

in other words, in such a case, the Ubuntu part is just an invisible, untouchable realm to the hacker bastard.

is it so?

Is Ubuntu Gnome immune to Trojans?
>>
>>55156851
Fuck off you stupid nigger nobody cares about you or your problems
>>
>>55156866
pls
im not a nigger im korean
>>
>>55156879
FUCK OFF PING PONG
>>
>>55156851
I don't know.
>>
please someone help >>55156851

i won't sleep until you help me
>>
>>55156851
I already told you to run MBAM.
1) No
2) Theorically yes, but remember that viruses spread over the disk, and (if the leet hax0r isn't a retard) the RAT may be running even in ubuntu in some cases (eg. you install wine)
3) No, but they're really obscure.
>>
>>55156322
>>55156363
He gave an informative yet concise answer with multiple suggestions and a reason you might choose each...and you respond with some useless belittling manager-speak. Fuck off.
>>
>>55157051
>belittling
Word of the day toilet paper? You really should look them up before you use them, Abdul.
>>
>>55156991
>1) No
But I meant unconsciously. Doesn't Ubuntu always prompt me to grant permission WITH password for a program to be installed? So i am less likely to install malware unconsciously compared to windows where it gets granted with just a click.
>MBAM
Run it. Run it again in safe mode. It found nothing. It was comodo cloud antivirus and avira that found anything.
>but remember that viruses spread over the disk,
should i just burn my laptop and off myself? i am really desperate at this point. i thought dual installing ubuntu gnome and windows and resetting my router and reinstalling its firmware and changing my isp and using Google's public DNS and running Avast and Comodo Cloud Antivirus would get this hacker out of my system. At least that's what I gleaned from that thread...
>>
>>55157070
You're talking like everything you KNOW you're installing is safe. This mentality is bad, and you should change it: ever heard of Navashield?

Since MBAM found nothing backup your stuff and do a low-level format to the disk from a Linux live cd, that'll actually remove everything from the disk. Install Linux then, if the software found on the internet for Linux isn't enough install wine and run any Windows .exe like you used to.

You don't need to burn your laptop, but you should remove everything from your Google account and close it. Then, maybe, reopen it with another (and more difficult) password.

And if this is not fucking working, install gentoo.
>>
>>55157187
thanks
>>
Mint
>>
>>55156031
Slackware
>>
Tux is the best distro
>/thread
>>
Personally I find Arch with just a WM to be the best.
>>
>>55156606
Installing Arch will teach you how to install Arch.
Installing Gentoo might teach you a thing or two about Linux if you take the time to really get to know everything and set your own USE flags, pick and choose every package, and so on. But let's be real, you're not going to do this, so installing Gentoo will only really teach you how to install Gentoo.

You get to know Linux by using it, not by installing a distribution that doesn't by default come with an automated installer. When it comes down to it, in terms of what you can accomplish, every distro is the same. That said, Mint is shit, hop on over to Fedora if you want a stable system.
>>
>>55158224
>mint is shit
Correct.

>Fedora
>stable
Kek no
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.