[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
One day after $53 million abruptly disappeared from an exper
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: Simon-Jentzsch.jpg (117 KB, 860x450) Image search: [Google]
Simon-Jentzsch.jpg
117 KB, 860x450
One day after $53 million abruptly disappeared from an experimental cryptocurrency project, a note appearing to be from the attacker has surfaced on PasteBin, claiming that the money drained from the system is now legally his. The attacker withdrew the money by exploiting a contract bug in the code of the DAO (or Decentralized Autonomous Organization), a collective investment fund that uses the Ethereum cryptocurrency.

"I have carefully examined the code of The DAO and decided to participate after finding the feature where splitting is rewarded with additional ether," the note reads. "I have made use of this feature and have rightfully claimed 3,641,694 ether, and would like to thank the DAO for this reward."

"My law firm has advised me that my action is fully compliant with United States criminal and tort law."

It’s unclear whether this legal reasoning holds up, but it’s not entirely unprecedented. The DAO is structured like a legal contract, and while the attack certainly wasn’t an intended use of that contract, it proceeded according to the contract’s pre-established rules. Cornell cryptographer Emil Gün Sirer wrote yesterday that draining the funds may not even qualify as a hack.

http://www.michellhilton.com/2016/06/simon-jentzsch-ether.html
>>
>>55144074
holy shit lol
>>
>>55144074
Lol ancaps btfo again
>>
>>55144074
Based
>>
>>55144074
>"investing" in cryptocurrency
>any year
>>
File: kek.jpg (18 KB, 326x279) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
18 KB, 326x279
My sides
>>
>>55144318
Ancap here, I think this guy is pretty cool.

I also only put 1 ETH into the DAO because if this didn't happen it probably would have failed anyway. No big loss.
>>
>>55144387
/thread
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.