[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /g/, I am sorry for asking a techsup question here, I just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Hello /g/, I am sorry for asking a techsup question here, I just cannot find an answer to my question.

I am replacing my HDD with an SSD tomorrow on my Win 10 PC, but I do not know how to proceed. I want to clone my 500gb HDD into my 512GB HDD and I do not know if the following is the best option.

>Install the SSD into Windows 10 before cloning, clone it and run Windows on the SSD, then backup my important files into a new HDD and do a clean W10 install on the SSD.

Sorry, it's such a simple question, but I have not seen anyone else follow that process and do not know if it will give me a hard time with my upgrade license.

Thanks guys.
>>
upgrade from 10 to windows 7 or ganoo
>>
>>55116880
Do a clean install on the SSD. Windows behaves differently if it's installed in a HDD or in a SSD.
>>
>>55116896

Bullshit. I've done a hdd to ssd swap with no problem.

Here's what you do, OP. Install gparted on a USB drive. Copy the old windows install partition by partition to the new SSD that you have connect via a USB adapter or SATA.
>>
>>55117095

Why do that when I can clone the drive?

>>55116896 has a point, though. Windows installs differently when it detects an SSD as the OS drive.
>>
>>55117125

How is an ssd install different?
>>
>>55116880
RETURN THE SLAB
>>
>>55117151

It is optimized to use the SSD to its fully potential.
>>
>>55117176
what's yer offer?
>>
>>55117230
2 botnets
>>
>>55117190

>fully potential

You're full of shit.
>>
>>55116880
i did a clone of my hdd to my new ssd recently using macrium reflect. initially i formatted the drive as GUID and proceeded with the clone but the drive was unbootable. formatting the drive as mbr worked just fine.
>>
>>55116880
I believe it is AOMEI Backupper that has a special "bit alignment" option for SSD's. I work for a small tech company and we simply use that to clone to from HDD to SSD. We almost never have issues. But once you clone it, you may want to run chkdsk and sfc, Windows sometimes seizes up, but I may be thinking of partition cloning.

Acronis also exists, which is also a nice cloning software, but I prefer AOMEI myself.

It is definitely smarter to make a clean installation, but cloning is faster and much less troublesome overall if you have programs or files you want to save.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.