[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a meme distro? Does it offer any advantage at all over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: fedora_infinity_140x140.png (6 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
fedora_infinity_140x140.png
6 KB, 140x140
Is this a meme distro? Does it offer any advantage at all over a good distro like Arch or Ubuntu?
>>
>>55115072
I think it's more for people who use something like Red Hat at work, and want something they're familiar with at home as well. Never used it personally though, so I could be wrong.
>>
>>55115072
>Arch
>Ubuntu
>good distros

kek, of the three distros you mentioned Fedora is the only good one.
>>
>>55115072
oh look this thread again
sage
>>
>>55115072
It has a meme name but it's not a meme distro. It's the best one if you don't want to spend hours configuring Gentoo or Arch.
>>
>>55115072
Why would it be a meme? Because its called Fedora?
The only choices for a usable linux desktop today are Ubuntu/MATE/Fedora
that is it

>arch
>>
>>55115072
I think it's a good middle of the road distro. It's a little more bleeding edge and configurable than idiot friendly ones like Ubuntu and Mint, but it's a lot smoother and more user friendly than stuff like Arch or Gentoo. I don't have a problem with it.

Last time I used it, though, I was disappointed because they were in a weird transition between package managers--YUM and DNF--and they didn't handle it well.
>>
Fedora is for people who want to be unpaid beta tester for poettering's wacky contraptions
>>
>>55115072
All three of the distros you've listed are great. I'd suggest Korora over Fedora though,it's just more convenient.
>>
>>55115221
I should add like >>55115240 mentioned
Fedora is good because there are only a few package freezes in the repos (glibc comes to mind), so its pretty bleeding edge
dnf is really good, except the same old shit with RPM's being kinda slow but I love delta rpm's
Fedy is a great little tool, I don't know if Ubuntu/MATE have something similar
The installer is really friendly and you can do some interesting setups with it, much better then debian

then you have copr and Red Hat backing the distro, and while people throw the "lulz beta tester" meme around
all the distros are using the same fucking packages you splergs, you are all beta testers for Canonical/Red Hat/Novell/<support company here>

>>55115271
I used Korora for a while, couldn't stand that they were always behind Fedora's release cycle, and I didn't see a point to it any more
when I could go upstream and get the same packages.

Don't get why it gets so much hate here but fuck it I've been using it for 2 years as a daily driver
and off and on since Fedora 3

>holy fuck wall of text
>>
>>55115349
Why are you using delta packages? They're really only intended for limited connectivity situations.
>>
>>55115221
openSUSE is great mate
>>
>>55115072
I tried using it, GNOME shell is fucking cancer, RPM based distros are a nightmare, other than that it has latest packages and it works just fine, I would install it on my grandma's computer
>>
>>55115349
It used to be my daily driver but I left it for Manjaro. It has about the same combination of bleeding edge and smooth interface, but it uses Pacman.

Pacman = God
>>
>>55115366
because I use mobile data on my laptop sometimes and have seen large bandwidth savings from it (I've seen ~40-60% reductions in downloads from updates)

>>55115369
I used openSUSE for a long time back around 2008-2010(I think, its been a while) and it was great
forgot why I stopped using it so I might have to try it again sometime.
>>
>>55115120
Exactly this in my personal experience, we run CentOS on our servers at work and its just comfy coming home to the same environment.
>>
File: 1466111998869.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1466111998869.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>55115072
>good distro like Arch
>>
>>55115137
You mean the worst
>>
>>55115476
whats wrong with arch
>>
>>55115923
It is a gentoo tier meme distro only pushed by neo-/g/
>>
Fedora is RedHat for the desktop. If you use RedHat or CentOS on your servers at work, it's very comfortable to come home to your Fedora box and just keep getting shit done.

For everybody else, it's just a relatively up-to-date, RPM based, released one an "about six month" release schedule, and mostly out-of-the-box distro.

It's similar to Ubuntu in that it's mostly set up for you, it's similar to Arch in the way that it's SORT OF bleeding edge. I'd say it's closer to Manjaro, but still slightly behind. More up-to-date than Ubuntu or openSUSE, less up-to-date than Arch.

Something that freetards may find interesting, there's no proprietary software included in it's official repository, which is kind of neat. That said, the first thing I do after installing and updating, is enable the RPM Fusion repositories for all of my proprietary shitware.

It's a really good distro. Especially if you're a GNOME fan (although there are spins with other DEs) and you're at least slightly initiated with Linux, I'd say give it a shot, you'll probably love it just like I did.
>>
>>55115614
It's the worst at fucking up your software because the package manager sucks.

But it's good at everything else.
>>
>>55119367
Check out fedy. Makes dealing with closed source shit easier.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.