[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Microphones General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 8160UKobBcL._SL1500_.jpg (100 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
8160UKobBcL._SL1500_.jpg
100 KB, 1500x1500
Best microphone to reduce noise of loud dogs barking in my apartment complex?

Was looking at dynamic microphones but don't know much about them.

I will be picking up the scarlett red solo to power the XLR mic that most dynamics are.

I heard the AT2100 xlr would perform much better than just the USB version would.

What are my options here and is there a better audio interface around the $99 than the Scarlett Red Solo? It has 48V phantom power for microphones.
>>
>>55109297
>microphone general

are you serious? talk to >>>/mu/ or >>>/v/ about this. The only thing /g/ can do is tell you not to buy shitty retarded gaming headsets
>>
File: latest.png (45 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
45 KB, 600x800
>>55109329
did somebody call?
>>
>>55109329
/mu/ would be for recording/studio mics and /v/ isn't about microphones at all.

>>55109364
>Buying a gaming headset in the year of our pasta 20XX.
>>
I would use a directional shotgun mic, but just because I have one. It would just about eliminate everything that it isn't pointed directly at.

scarlett red is a decent studio interface, none of them are spectacular at the $99 mark but just about all of them will handle a single xlr mic.

You dont necessarily need a mic that draws phantom power. you may want to read reviews about your interfaces' mic preamp.

In my opinion usb mics suck, but I'm a studio musician. my biggest beef with them is inherent ground loop noise from having a usb controller right inside the microphone. the really nice mics eliminate it but I've experienced it from every meme Blue usb mic i've ever used.

What is your purpose OP? teamspeak for games? podcasting? recording vocalists?
>>
>>55109914
Teamspeak/Recording on projects/Skype for projects/Voice overs (Senior coursework)
>>
>>55109966
in that case I'd follow anons advice and buy a cheap logitech desk mic. sound quality is surprising on those things and you wont have to pony up for a proper vocal mic, xlr cable, or an audio interface.

I would only bother with xlr mics if your application is musical, or you intend to do a lot of post processing and need a extremely hi-fi recording to start with. The only application in your post that would warrant the big guns would be voiceover work if its for something like film dialogue. that kind of stuff you'd be doing some post production effects on like reverb or something and would want something substantial to start with.

For any type of video game chatting, school project narration, or voice calling, I'd think a usb cheapo mic would be more than adequate for the job, and save you lots of shekels
>>
>>55109966
if you're just going to be doing teamspeak and skype, go with the logitech like >>55110091
says. this is the type my school uses for teachers recording videos for online classes
>https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00022TNHM

for recording and voiceovers, go with one of the hundreds of podcasting usb mics. the blue snowball is a nice cheap one. the blue yeti is the "standard", although that doesn't mean it's the best. I have a samson c01u that I love, which is pretty cheap nowadays.

get a pop filter for like $5 and you'll be good
>>
your type of situation, with noise dogs nearby, is like a worst case scenario for a phantom powered dynamic vocal mic. I would think any phantom powered mic would be too sensitive for your application. a good vocal mic will honestly be way overkill for you, you'll be frustrated because it will pick up every sound of your breathing and inner biology while your mouth is open. let alone your dogs barking.

You should be looking for a significantly less sensitive mic than a dynamic vocal mic. headset mics are good for this but they're all shitty quality, a desk mic would probably be better because you never have to move it around
>>
File: 1466063269341.jpg (91 KB, 400x461) Image search: [Google]
1466063269341.jpg
91 KB, 400x461
>>55110210
>>55110091

I've never enjoyed the sound quality on those microphones if it is the standard for college level recordings by professors.

I want something that won't pick up all the background noise but still has good sound quality.

>>55110276
I had read that dynamic mic was supposed to be better for avoiding background noise opposed to the USB powered condenser ones.

May just wait until the yeti goes on sale and I can get one for cheap and just turn the gain super low and put it really close to my face.

That or maybe a lavaliere microphone that's around ~$75 shekels with no interface.
>>
>>55110276
desktop mics have high gain and pick up tons of ambient sound effects

what op is looking for is either a shotgun mic or a high quality clip on one.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.