[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is a /g/ approved "smart" tv?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: 1449987420405.jpg (45 KB, 408x439) Image search: [Google]
1449987420405.jpg
45 KB, 408x439
what is a /g/ approved "smart" tv?
>>
>/g/ approved
why do you care what autists approve of?
>>
None of them. Get a regular TV and plug a computer into it if you want one so bad.
>>
>>55107847
SmartTVs are pretty universally shit, bring your own device to make it smart. Whether it's just a normie thing like a roku or a self-baked linux.
>>
File: 1451525931231.jpg (27 KB, 154x175) Image search: [Google]
1451525931231.jpg
27 KB, 154x175
>>55107868
because I am a autist, autist think alike
>>
also if you're looking for buying recommendations on something experienced (like a TV, or a chair, or whatever else), you're just going to get a lot of
>I have _____ and I like it. Everything else is either cheap shit or overpriced shit!

Go look for reviews from people who have literally made a career of reviewing all the products in that category. Otherwise you'll have no context for what's good and what's bad. your experience will be the only one you know anything about; you're never going to turn on the TV and sigh about not having a feature from another smart TV that you don't know exists.

the only reason you can *possibly* get good suggestions for things like computer components is that those are basically purely specification-based. We can crunch the numbers on the value of a CPU and give you optimal choices for various price points. an anonymous site is a terrible place to hear about people's personal preferences, because you have no idea how someone's experiences/preferences relate to yours.

why do i need to explain any of this shit holy fuck.
>>
>>55107847
A big monitor with your laptop plugged in.
>>
>>55107847
>Smart TV
>/g/ approved

Get a normal tv that comes with the best panel possible and use a raspberry pi or intel nuc or something to give the features of a smart tv.
>>
File: jew.jpg (87 KB, 588x647) Image search: [Google]
jew.jpg
87 KB, 588x647
>watching the digitized jew
>>
Vizio P series

starts at $999 and 50 inches.

4K, HDR, 6 inch tablet remote, and a normal remote.
>>
>>55107968
knew about the pi but the intel nuc seems neat, basically looks like a more user friendly pi
>>
>>55107847
Just don't.
Buy a big, quality TV and plug in whatever you want to make it "smart". What good is a smart TV if YouTube can stop working at any time? Or if it gets outdated?
>>
How do you even find a non-"smart" TV these days?
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 275x183
>>55108422
What do you mean anon? are you..... trying to replace me?......
>>
An HD CRT of course
>>
Sony trinitron
>>
>>55110777
>That input lag when using RGB/S-Video/Composite inputs
Best option if you're not gaming on classic consoles, doe. At least until OLED gets cheaper.
>>
>>55108473
>flyback transformers sizzling intensifies
>>
>>55110851
>if you read this, you are now hearing that fucking noise
>>
>>55110851
>>55110875
>Implying that 15KHz tone isn't the most pleasant sound in the world
Also, it isn't even noticeable on late CRTs
>>
>>55110875
>we wuz 90s kidz and shieeeeet
>>
>>55110910
>it isn't even noticeable on late CRTs
In mint condition, yes. But I swear I could hear my neighbors flyback through the wall a few years ago because his TV was fucked and he didn't care.
>>
>>55107878
>>55107872
>>55107968
There's no such thing as a non "smart" TV these days. Find me a 4k TV from a nonchink brand without "smart" features. Go ahead.
>>
>>55110910
>>55110911
Also - are kids nowadays even able to hear 15kHz?
>>
btw. are there any decent software for those DVB-T TV tuner dongles for linux?
>>
SmartTV features are unilaterally shit. For some reason it pains TV manufacturers to include hardware better than that of a 2009 ARM tablet.

Buy your own box (Roku, ATV4, etc) and treat the "smart" TV as a dumb TV. It's the only correct answer.
>>
>>55111005
>In mint condition, yes
My 14 year old FD Trinitron still doesn't make that 15KHz noise (and yes, it is a TV, not a monitor)
>>55111026
Probably not. Listening to their beets by Dr. Nigger at full blast so they can even hear the vocals over the bass has probably destroyed their eardrums. I say they top out at 12KHz
>>
File: GOAT vectrex.jpg (8 KB, 240x180) Image search: [Google]
GOAT vectrex.jpg
8 KB, 240x180
>flip TV on
>retinas burn out

Truly a patrician's tv
>>
File: 8086_640.jpg (87 KB, 576x640) Image search: [Google]
8086_640.jpg
87 KB, 576x640
>>55111214
>>
>>55111214
>>55111233
""""TV""""
>>
>>55107847
There is no such thing.

In fact I now recommend only buying "dumb" electronics, then connecting them to a computer (HTPC as control node or direct into full tower, with whatever software meets your needs set the way you want). Then use a Logitech Harmony Elite as the one remote to conveniently control them.

I love this remote, after 5 setups I actually got it to be idiot proof with single button functions for my dad. Been a few weeks now and he hasn't called me once for tech support.

That huge considering in two hours with the last setup he got the audio cut out and switch to Ukrainian subtitles, which was not listed as an available subtitle type as he accidental loaded a number of new languages trying to raise the volume while I was away. My dad has a way with technology :), thank god I didn't inherit it.
>>
Korean 4k monitor plus a Chinese HDMI dongle
>>
>>55107847
A monitor with a computer connected to it.

All a smart tv is is a shitty computer you don't need.
>>
>>55110851
This is not and never was an issue. Stop posting this every time CRTs are mentioned.
>>
>>55112546
It is an issue in badly designed TVs, which run their horizontal oscillators (and of course, the flyback) at around 15KHz, which is in the human hearing range. I can hear a crappy CRT TV from hundreds of meters away. It's not an issue on CRT PC monitors, since they use a ~31KHz horizontal refresh rate, way above the human hearing range.
>>
>>55111018
That's why you ignore the smart bullshit and just look for image quality
>>
This thread got me thinking... TVs are pretty saturated, but if a startup focused on producing high-quality *DUMB* TVs with top-tier panels, all the right inputs, good firmware, a sane remote, etc, I bet it'd be profitable. There's a gap in the market created by all TV manufacturers aiming at mass audiences instead of a much smaller but higher margin "videophile" crowd.
>>
>>55107847
29" sony trinitron
>>
>>55107847
None they all suck. If possible just get a dumb TV with a set top box. Failing that just get a set top box for your """""""""smart"""""""'' TV
>>
Is it even possible to get a "dumb" TV these days that doesn't have budget-price quality to match?

I'm sort of in the market for a TV but I want a top quality panel but no spying "smart" stuff built-in.
>>
>>55107847
First of all, don't ask /g/ anything. They're all retards.

Second, any TV with any kind of "smart" functionality works just fine if you never connect to the internet. Just hook it up to a console, or a Roku, or an HTPC, or a Shield, or a Pi - I don't fucking care. Just don't use the TV for anything but a dumb display.
>>
Get a regular TV, build a small computer, get a Chromecast, or even a Xbox if you have one. I find no reason to get a smart TV.
>>
>tv's come with embedded android systems
>tv's were perfectly fine before this
>tv's have literally never needed to be anything other than a large format computer monitor
>>
>all this butthurt

Do anyone in here had a smart tv before? do your autism prevents you to use it properly? why would you connect anything to a regular TV when you can stream everything via DLNA? why the FUCK would you prefer a lesser playing experience with a pc+normal screen??

Sometimes you amaze me, /g/ (when you actually try to talk about technology, that is).
>>
>>55114125
because I want my tv to just be a tv and have other devices attached to it to provide media
>>
>>55114139
You say this implying the TV forces you to use the "smart" features.
>>
>>55114158
>implying it won't still be spying on you and sending out your data somehow even if you don't intentionally connect it to anything
>>
>>55114158
I'd prefer them not to be there
I have no intention of using them
>>
>>55114164
>buying a Samsung TV

Also, you need to add the credentials of your wifi first before it can send anything.
>>
>>55114187
What if you have a neighbor with an unsecured wifi connection? The TV could simply connect to that without issue and start transmitting everything the microphone is picking up. Something like this wouldn't even surprise me, especially from Samsung, but I don't trust anyone these days. Hell, I wouldn't even be all that surprised if they had a built-in cellular transmitter with all the shit that goes on these days.
>>
>all this talk about 15KHz whine
Isn't that only a thing when playing 240p content?
>>
>>55107995
>6 inch tablet remote
Really? That's the shit normies fall for nowadays?
>>
>>55111018
I just use monitors at this point. Cheaper and less gimmicky.
For muh cineastic experiences I'm using a beamer. Nobody cares to put unnecessary frills into them.
>>
>>55114125
I have a smart tv and the "smart" crap is shit. With the Android TV box i have, I can play media from DLNA, SMB, ZFS and do all kinds of other things like running emulators and play games on it.

Smart TVs are shit. Dont use them. Just use them as a dumb display and connect an Android or Linux device.
>>
>>55114451
>beamer
do you mean a projector?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.