[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>cpu can be overclocked Doesn't this just mean factory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1462588191979.png (42 KB, 653x726) Image search: [Google]
1462588191979.png
42 KB, 653x726
>cpu can be overclocked
Doesn't this just mean factory settings are underclocked?
>>
>>55107361
No.
>>
>>55107361
Yes.
>>
>>55107361
Those are tested, safe settings.

If your dumbass goes over the tested amount you have only yourself to blame when it fucks up.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AQPIBfIqMk
>>
>>55107361
Maybe so.
>>
>>55107361
This is a completely arbitrary distinction. Stock clocks are almost always at or near the ideal perf/watt point on the power curve.
>>
>>55107361
Stock clocks are the balance of performance, power consumption, and reliability.
>>
>>55107379
>>55107389
No.
>>
>>55107379
>>55107389
>>55107413
>>55109935

I don't know.
>>
>>55107401
this. they are set for optimal performance, lifetime and reliability.

If you don't care about one of those you may fuck with the clock.
>>
Literally, yes. It's always been this way. All CPU's of a generation are made in exactly the same process, are often cut from the same wafer in the end. Then they get tested and the ones that test most reliably become the 'high end' chips and have fuses laser-cut to set the clock speed for that model. Then the slightly less reliable ones are laser-cut to be a little slower, the less reliable again are lasercut slower still etc.

Overclocking is merely you gambling that the one chip you have was almost good enough to have made the cut to the next level up and you are pushing it 'back' to what it could have been.

Which is why overclocking has such weirdly mixed results in reliability and scope. Following the exact same clock, FSB and voltage settings as one person might not give you the same results because YOUR chip might be less, or more, 'stable' than theirs.

This was really evident in the 'good old days' with the Athlon XP chips where the final lasercuts were actually made to the outside of the casing - you could literally buy a £100 chip and 'upgrade' to a £300 for free by bridging the cuts with graphite pencil and applying suitable cooling.

It's a little different nowadays of course, the cuts are made at a much earlier stage in the manufacturing process, but the fundamental principles are more or less the same.
>>
I'll make the logo.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.