[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Things that should be standard on phones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8
File: double tap lg.jpg (81 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
double tap lg.jpg
81 KB, 1280x720
Double tap to turn on/off the screen is a must.

Bought a cheap LG Phoenix 2 and love the double tap and the ability to take pictures by saying cheese or smile.
>>
>>>/reddit/
>>
A 3.5 mm jack

OOOOOOH SNAP GET REKT APPLE
>>
>>55103612

i should be able to stick it in my ass and have the vibrator detect it and turn on
>>
>>55103612
Augmented reality
>>
you should be able to disable the loudspeaker for all media playback.
I can't even count the number of times I've been listening to my phone, the bluetooth headphones have run out of battery, disconnect and the entire supermarket/blood bank/chinese restaraunt/train has heard my anime OSTs on loud.
>>
>>55103612

iOS
>>
File: mz.png (59 KB, 650x370) Image search: [Google]
mz.png
59 KB, 650x370
>>55103623
All iPhones have headphone jacks.
>>
>>55103612
I use double-tap for something different. In short, no.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (1018 KB, 2500x1407) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
1018 KB, 2500x1407
LG V10 reporting in!
>>
>>55103679
i double tapped ur mom last night
>>
>>55103679
sent ;)
>>
>>55103699
Kek
>>
MicroSD slot.
A non locked piece of shit OS like iOS.
Removable battery.
Frontal speakers.
>>
>>55103692

>buying a meme phone
>>
>>55103692
Damn looks like a nice phone but I don't like the bigger screens. Coming from an OG Moto G I liked the compact size.

Tried the Idol 3 4.7 but the call volumes was terrible.
>>
>>55103612
>Physical buttons and a physical keyboard
>Removable battery
>An OS that is open to the user to modify as you wish, doesn't have adware, and protects your privacy.
>MicroSD slot
>Dual SIM slots
>>
File: the-homer-inline4.jpg (126 KB, 660x330) Image search: [Google]
the-homer-inline4.jpg
126 KB, 660x330
>/g/ designs a product
>>
>>55103786
function > form
>>
>>55103766
fuck the physical buttons and keyboard
"removable battery" in the sense that once i get the back cover off, i shouldn't need a screwdriver to get to the battery (and ideally it shouldn't be glued in)
full agreement on the rest
>>
>>55103807
I was thinking more so removable battery in the sense that the back cover opens without needing to be pried off
>>
>>55103786
>this is what google thinks adding a microSD slot does
>>
>>55103612
keyboard
>>
Nova Launcher (prime version only) lets you set some gestures. I have double tap to turn on my G4 standard and double tap again to turn it off via NL. Shit's cash, yo.
>>
>>55103612
a real operating system
>>
>>55103674
Not for long
>>
>>55103786
>>55103797
where does this "functionality sacrifices aesthetics" meme come from that /g/ loves to autistically spout?

minimalism is a cancerous crutch for mediocre designers
>>
Well I thought I was joining the right crowd. I switched to Verizon HTC 10 only to find out I can't unlock my bootloader / root because of s-off?!? Wtf!? Now I have a phone with Verizon bloatware everywhere.
>>
>>55103612
>physical button, one touch
>turns the damn screen off
>>
>>55104023
That's what happens when you don't do your research.
Enjoy losing some multiple of a hunnid bux.
>>
>>55104023
I have the VZW Note 5... shit sucks. Can't get root, but I mod/use modded APKs to get a lot of root functionality.

Thankfully I can disable all the bloat with a tool I found on XDA (have to be careful though, need to re-enable the apps before updates).

I just wish someone unlocked our bootloaders like they did with the M8, which I own. Guess the bounties aren't appealing enough.
>>
Free from carrier bloat
Optmized ram usage
camera manual mode
removable battery
fast charge
>>
>>55103612
Phones should be able to tell when they're in your fucking pocket. They can use IR LEDs and sensors along with their gyro to tell when you move away from your face, so they should be able to detect when they're in your pocket as well. I hate having my phone on silent, getting a call, then having the screen register a ton of random presses as I'm walking around since the screen remains on after the call.

Even simpler solution would be for a setting to just disable the screen turning on when silent unless you press the power button. Unfortunately this has never crossed any software designer's mind that I'm aware of.
>>
CM13 on my Moto G2 lets me go to sleep by double tapping the status bar.
I don't understand why this is a thing when physical buttons offer the same function.
>>
>>55103766
>Physical buttons and a physical keyboard
fuck that
>Removable battery
honestly as long as it isn't glued in I don't really care. you only really need to change your battery after a year or two, not every 10 minutes.
>MicroSD slot
honestly as long as it has 64/128gb of storage I don't see much a need for one.
>Dual SIM slots
literally why?
when would you ever need more than 1 sim for anything that isn't illegal?
>>
>>55104023
that's why you never buy a verizon specific phone with the intention of rooting/roms
>>
>>55103653
This is why I'll never use bluetooth headphones.

>>55104337
>>Dual SIM slots
>literally why?
Using separate call/text and data plans
Having separate numbers for work and personal dealings
Having a local plan for a country you travel to frequently
All very illegal I know.
>>
>>55104393
>Using separate call/text and data plans
just swap the sim whenver you run out of data or whatever (>not having unlimited data)
>Having separate numbers for work and personal dealings
why? if you need a work specific phone they'll give you one. so why spend money on a separate sim?
>Having separate numbers for work and personal dealings
why are you traveling to different countries so often?
and why not get a carrier that works in both places?
>>
>>55104393
>Dual SIM
Also when travelling to foreign countries and getting a cheapass local pre-paid SIM for data while still being able to use WhatsApp and other rather finnicky apps
>>
>>55104194
My thoughts exactly anon. Good idea
>>
File: 1441758047209.jpg (82 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1441758047209.jpg
82 KB, 625x626
>>55104408
>just swap the sim whenver you run out of data or whatever (>not having unlimited data)
I imagine he's talking about using Internet on one and voice on the other. At least that's what people use it for.

>why? if you need a work specific phone they'll give you one. so why spend money on a separate sim?
So you don't have to carry two phones in your pocket, worry about their batteries, etc.
Also, if your workplace gives you a phone, it's better to use its sim in a dual-sim phone for the above-mentioned reasons.
If your workplace doesn't give you one, you would still need to buy the sim and a phone for it, so why not use a single phone if you can (by buying one with dual-sim support)?
Also some people work on their own and have to manage everything themselves, so don't expect everyone to have a company-issued phone.

>why are you traveling to different countries so often?
Is this a real question?

>and why not get a carrier that works in both places?
Most of the time it's inconvenient and/or expensive.
Not to mention the possibility that a lot of people travel to different countries (instead of going back and forth between two), and he might be one of them.

Honestly your post sounds like pic related. Sadly I'm too autistic to not take the bait.
>>
>>55103692
My gf has that phone, it seems really nice. I'm on a lgg3, can you root the v10?
>>
>>55103923
My man, I'll laugh if it's just a hoax and some competitors really bought in and remove their audio jacks.
>>
>>55103612
Had an lg g2 and g3, switched to a Nexus and I STILL find myself tapping the screen to wake it, it's too convenient
>>
>>55104194
Gravity screen on/off?
Try it, anon. Minimal ram and battery usage
>>
>>55103653
your fault for still running gingerbread
loudspeakers, Bluetooth and headphones all have separate volume bars
and what shitty music player doesn't have a pause on disconnect?
>>
>>55104194
what about turning your phone around so the screen doesn't face your legs?
your pants alone shouldn't be able to register touch presses
>>
>>55104247
it's not meant for small phones after all
you can't press the power button without holding the phone from the other side on normal sized phones
>>
>>55104123
There are independent apps available to give manual controls to cameras. The bundled camera app should only address needs of the normie photographer.
>>
>>55104194

Iphones do that
>>
camera button
why is it treated like some luxury? I'd give up my voulem buttons for this because after i set the volume to comfortable levels i never touch those again, except in the 1-2 apps that support scrolling with them

adb root, adb unlock-bootloader
more than enough to scare off normies, but nooo you need touse some chinese exploit rooting app or wait a week for the unlock code, and the method is different for every model
>>
Less Frequent Notifications.

A setting allowing you to receive only the first notification from an app every X minutes. You would be notified for the first Telegram or Whatsapp message every minute, but not for the rest.
>>
>>55103612
Phone is literally unlocked and on the homescreen before you can even tap the second time on nexus devices with the fingerprint reader

Doubletap to wake is deprecated
>>
>>55104337
>>Dual SIM slots
>literally why?
A plethora of reasons. Try leaving the basement
>>
>>55104337

>>Dual SIM slots
>literally why?
>when would you ever need more than 1 sim for anything that isn't illegal?

Because I like having the ability to turn my business SIM off after hours so I don't get harassed by clients.

I like to be able to segregate my personal line from my business line.

That's my use case anyway
>>
>>55103623
REKT MOTOROLA
>>
File: Screenshot_20160616-125305.png (130 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160616-125305.png
130 KB, 1080x1920
>>55103612
Nova launcher does this.
>>
>>55105594
1. not every device has a fingerprint reader
2. fingerprint readers are not secure as a means to unlock
>>
>>55103612
>Double tap to turn on/off the screen is a must.
HTC
>>
>>55105683
>1. not every device has a fingerprint reader
>Buying a non-nexus device in 2016

>2. fingerprint readers are not secure as a means to unlock

I won't disagree, but they're a good compromise of usability and security. You can have a very strong password encrypting your device and still unlock your device easily.

People have a tendency to use bad passwords or even no password at all instead of a good password they have to type everytime.
>>
>>55105706
You cannot be compelled to give up a password, but your fingerprints can be taken at will.
>>
>>55105706
if you just want to wake your phone you could just as well use the proximity sensor but the whole fingerprint reader hype makes people think it is ok to have a phone without any password/lock on it

it is 2016 people are still stupid
now you have millions of phone where people think they are save because of fingerprint readers
saying fingerprint readers do anything better then a power button is like trained stupidity or willfull misinformation
>>
>>55105751
>Living in a shit country

But it's a single tap to password lock your phone from the lockscreen at any time
>>
>>55105751
>>55105766

>Living in a shit country

you mean merica right?
>>
>>55105778
Any country where they can compel you to give up your fingerprint to unlock a device is a shit country, so yes
>>
>>55104105
>>55104023
>>55104388
Broke my Verizon lg g3 after dropping it, after fighting with the esurion rep for a new one, he told me it was 150 to replace and they wouldn't even give me a g3 I'd get whatever model was available (the shitty step down from the g3).
Cancelled my contact with them and switched to project Fi
>>
File: let_me_explain.jpg (57 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
let_me_explain.jpg
57 KB, 550x413
>>55103612
Double tab is already used to zoom in and out, jackass.
>>
>>55105760
Look, no smartphone is secure from State Actors. Don't own a smartphone if you are scared of the NSA. They already have everything they need.

But a fingerprint reader will be secure against pretty much anyone else, jamal the phone thief doesn't know how to break it
>>
>>55104408
> private number
> official number
Yeah yeah, I could just carry around another phone, that doesn't seem annoying.
>>
>>55105789
You double tap the status bar to turn the screen off so it doesn't affect what you have open.
>>
>>55104408
I have family abroad and use prepaid international carrier Sims.

Now fuck off.
>>
>AMOLED
>NFC
>Camera Shutter button that launches the camera from lock
>Dual SIM + MicroSD
>>
>>55105572
Xperia Z3 has this
>>
>MicroSD
Cripes, folks. I'm all for expandable storage, but if we're dreaming, can't we instead wish for the creation and implementation of a standard that is actually good?
>>
File: grump.png (731 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
grump.png
731 KB, 1366x768
>>55106794
But it has an IPS panel.
>>
>>55103625
But it'll get stuck up there, mate. You won't be able to remove it. :^)
>>
>>55104194
I have the OPPO F1 Plus and the Lenovo Vibe K4 Note, and they both have a feature where the screen will turn on upon accidental presses but only to show a warning that it has detected the accidental presses and therefore won't respond to any additional touches. The screen will them turn off after a couple of seconds.
>>
>>55107944
Anyway my wishlist for standard smartphones features include

>Active Display ala Moto X and its ilk
>On-screen menu keys even when there's hard buttons
>Fingerprint scanner on the Home button
>Digital TV
>IP6X resistance
>Gyroscope for simple VR
>USB OTG
>>
MHL, Dual Sims, USB C, 4000mAh or greater batteries
>>
>>55103653
That shouldn't happen, when my phone gets disconnected from my car's bluetooth, it stops playing.
>>
>>55104337
>honestly as long as it isn't glued in I don't really care. you only really need to change your battery after a year or two, not every 10 minutes.
Really you only need this feature if you're using your phone for extended periods of time has and have to time to wait for the battery to charge.
>>
>>55108508
Same here.
>>
>>55103612
>IP 68 certification
Why the fuck are manufacturers still not doing this? Now I'll have to buy a samshit phone
>>
>Holding down the volume buttons while playing music changes track
This feature was in my old Blackberry and I miss it so much.
>>
>>55105683

>double tapping is more secure than biometrics

Fingerprint ain't prefect, but it sure fucking safer than just fucking double tapping.
>>
>>55103699
nice
>>
Why don't more phones have a glass back? I'm reluctant to move from my N4. It feels so good in the hand. Absolute rock solid rigid construction, no shitty weak flexy plastic. Not that the N4 is perfect, it has many issues in other regards.

Requirements for my next phone:
* Good construction (ideally glass back, metal might be acceptable but it prevents wireless harging)
* Bright flashlight mode that doesn't overheat after 30 seconds
* Good battery life. If the reviews say anything like "lasted us a day of moderate use", it goes straight in the trash
>>
>>55110793
>ideally glass back
kill yourself
>>
>>55110793
>no shitty weak flexy plastic

Where does this meme come from? Some of the most rugged phones ever made were/are mostly or entirely plastic. Glass and aluminum is the weak bullshit.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.