[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm starting a new job (essentially a trucker) and I�
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: G501_lighting_01.jpg (156 KB, 2000x1393) Image search: [Google]
G501_lighting_01.jpg
156 KB, 2000x1393
I'm starting a new job (essentially a trucker) and I'm going to be away from home a lot, so I want to get a gaming laptop.

Do you think there is a noticably large difference between the 970m and the 980m? I don't really plan on playing every new game, but I will probably play games like New Vegas or Skyrim with a lot of graphics mods.

I was thinking of getting this:
https://www.amazon.com/G751JY-17-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-model/dp/B015QZPRW4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1466046718&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+980m

980m, $1430

or this

https://www.amazon.com/G751JT-17-Inch-Gaming-Laptop-model/dp/B00NVV2B98/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1466046718&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+980m

970m, 1185$
other specs are basically the same.

Is the 250$ difference worth it?

Both of these have a second hard drive bay, so I may install an SSD myself.

Any other suggestions for similar power/price range? I'm willing to pay a bit more for a reliably sturdy brand with good build quality like asus. I hear MSI is also good.
>>
File: 2016-06-16_052124_scrot.jpg (105 KB, 783x825) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-16_052124_scrot.jpg
105 KB, 783x825
>>55101207
>>
>>55101207
You'll get slightly better graphics, but other than that i guess not much else. I have and Old ASUS ROG 2010 and that thing lasted for about 3 years, then shit on me and decided it was going to not start up anymore. It eventually did but I'd be really careful with buying these "gaming" laptops. You never know when it's going to shit on you.
>>
>>55101278

Actually, I have an ROG already, which is why I linked to others in the OP becuase I liked it a lot. It's getting old enough now that I want to replace it. Plus it's a little broken. It lasted a lot fucking longer than previous gaming laptops I've had, though.
>>
>>55101310
Yeah they can last if you treat them good. As a side note, they DO NOT fit well in backpacks. But the extra 250 may be worth it in the long run if you plan on keeping this for as long as you can.
>>
>>55101207
I had an Asus G550JK that I bought like a year and a half ago or so. BE WARNED, Asus like to tighten their hinges so that after about a year, the screen starts lifting away from the base, the hinges get gummed up and too tight to open without causing strain to the base.

See >>55099777 as to how I fixed it.
>>
>>55101383

Thanks for the feedback. As I mentioned a few posts ago I do have an Asus currently (g750jx), it's about 30 months old. The hinge is fine. Maybe a bit looser (screen wiggled if I pull it halfway and let it go), but nothing like that's happened. But of course, maybe I'm just lucky.
>>
>>55101418
I had one of those big clunky laptops before as well. I actually sold my clunky Asus ROG one (I can't remember the model number) and my other non-gaming one to purchase the G550JK as a multi-use laptop.

The bigger ones don't have hinge issues, as you can see. I can only assume this is because of how they're set out. My current laptop's hinges (Metabox P650RE) are fucking amazing, but they look a lot different to the Asus smaller ROG ones.

The smaller ones DO have hinge issues. I dunno whether Asus fits them like that on purpose to encourage buying a new laptop, or if it's just the standard to overtighten them to make sure they don't come free.

If the one you're looking at is similar to my 550JK, I'd recommend getting one of those yellow toolkits I had pictured in my other post. There's 10 T5 Torx screws on the bottom, and you gotta remove the HDD before being able to unscrew the screen. You need to separate the base and the screen to create room to loosen the hinges, though, so trial and error takes a while.

You could just get lucky, though.
>>
>>55101468

How's the metabox's cooling? One of the reasons I really like my ROG is the back fans are very good.
>>
>>55101508
Absolutely tops. It doesn't have the Lamborghini-style jet engines out the back, but the CPU and GPU coolers are set on opposite sides of the laptop, unlike in the G550JK, where they're next to each other and - for some reason - the exhaust is positioned at the centre back, almost exactly where the screen opens up.

My one has one exhaust on the left-hand side to remove CPU heat, and one at the back right to remove GPU heat. The space taken by the exhausts is offset by the charge port and one USB3.0 port at the back. This is alongside the usual locations for the ports down each side.
>>
File: idle temp.jpg (543 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
idle temp.jpg
543 KB, 1920x1080
>>55101508
Current idle temps on the P650RE.

I dunno if you can get them where you are, since Metabox is an Australian company, but I'm pretty sure they're literally just rebranded Clevo laptops.

Lot of room for RAM and storage upgrades, and Metabox is fucking tops because you can build the laptop as you go. Most of the higher-end models have multiple GPU, CPU, RAM, storage, ODD and screen options, depending on what you want to pay.
>>
>>55101544

Sounds a bit like my ROG. CPU on the left, GPU on the right.

Hmm. I don't think metabox ships to the US. Well, thanks anyway.
>>
>>55101669
As I said, you could just find the Clevo equivalent.

The Asus RoG series isn't bad, don't get me wrong. But if you DO begin to feel a tug on the hinges after a while, DON'T put it off. Tear the fucker apart and give the hinges a eighth of a twist anti-clockwise, and you'll have no problems.

Also, the big RoG actually has them side by side that split into two exhausts, but they share a copper heat transfer (or at least two touching ones), whereas the cooling systems in the P650RE are completely independent from each other, meaning they never interfere.
>>
>>55101383
I did this once and glued it when I found a tension I liked. Don't know yet if it affects anything.
>>
>>55102134
Generally don't need to glue the hinges, since there's enough torque to keep them held in place no matter where you set the to. Common sense tells me gluing something that is meant to move is a bad idea, but if it works, it works.
>>
Is there any word yet on Pascal or Polaris laptops yet? The mobile chips should be a lot closer to desktop this time right? Op, a Pascal based laptop will deeestroy a 980m.
>>
File: 1460410034653.png (344 KB, 470x540) Image search: [Google]
1460410034653.png
344 KB, 470x540
>>55102158
Sorry, I glued the torsion nut, not the hinge.
>>
>>55102273
Pascal is the 10xx series, hey? What's the 9xx series called, I forget.
>>
>>55102292
Maxwell. 7xx is Kepler. Pascal laptops should be coming really soon, and it's been optimized for low power, so theoretically should have awesome battery life, as well as better performance. I'd wait if you can.
>>
>>55102292
Maxwell I think
>>
>>55102380
Different anon, friend.

I'm the dude who just recently got the Metabox laptop with the GTX 970m.

I'm pleased as punch with it, and while I could've waited, sure, this does everything I need it to and more, so I'm not overly worried.

My desktop has a GTX 760 in it, and I'll be looking for an upgrade soon. I've been looking at the 970 for ages now, but then the super mega hyper over the RX series came out, so now I'm just gonna hold off for like a month or two and see the benchmarks.
>>
i have a ROG GL552JX, how fucked am i with the hinges thing and stuff?
>>
Worst time to get a gaming laptop

Seriously, wait until 14/16nm GPU laptops

You'll be shooting yourself in the fucking head if you don't.
>>
>>55104087
When ?
>>
Get a gigabyte x35/x37 for cheaper and much better looking. They actually look quite professional and if you ever want to transition then the laptop would still be very much acceptable in the office. Get a side cooler for like $20 and you're golden.
>>
>>55104786
Soon™

No but seriously the discrete dieshrunk GPUs are out this month, so the laptop ones should be around the corner.
>>
>>55104891
how sure can we be that nvidia isn't going to make some meme-tier cornercutting mistake like the fact that the 970 card had 3.5+0.5GB rather than the advertised 4GB?

we're probably going to have to wait till october for the mobile cards to come out and december for proper reviews to be done.
>>
>gaming laptoop
>>
>>55106104

>being illiterate
>>
I may have to just order one of the laptops (or a similar one) to the ones in the OP soon. I am sure the 1070 and 1080 will be great but I doubt we will be able to get them for six months at least and I need a laptop much sooner.
>>
Truckerfag toasting in this bread

who you driving for
>>
>>55106519

It's not really being a trucker, I work for a university and they just want me to drive some equipment to another university and back a couple of times a month
>>
What is desktop equivalent of GTX970m? Is it at least as powerful as 960? How long will it last for playing in 1080p?
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.