[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55
File: 1465791314769.jpg (20 KB, 400x630) Image search: [Google]
1465791314769.jpg
20 KB, 400x630
Post small or dumb questions here, someone will probably answer you! This thread is for questions that dont deserve their own thread as they would not inspire discussion.
>>
What happened to this shithole? What happened to desktop threads? Been away for a couple of months and came back to this.
>>
>>55097324
>What happened to desktop threads?
i heard they are now a bannable offense, but i didn't notice since i have shit threads and the majority of generals filtered, anyway.
/g/ is as good/bad as always
>>
What happens when I put C: in the trash bin?
>>
>>55097324
/sqt/ has been here for awhile m8
Desktop threads belong here >>>/wg/
>>
>>55097370
Are you a fucking spaz or someshit newfriend. I don't know who or how long you've been posting on 4chan, but you should really think about killing yourself.
>>
>>55097370
I like you.
>>
>>55097440
Stop embarrassing yourself. Desktop threads are now forbidden because they're /r9k/-tier cancer. Fuck off.
>>
How do you post those code boxes on here?
>>
>>55097562
Read the sticky
>>
My computer is always on because I have a server app running, remote desktop onto it, ect. What I currently do is have Windows automatically log on on startup and set a startup program to lock it. The goal being to have the startup programs run in case of a restart and the security of having the computer lock immediately after.

Is there a way to do this on Windows 10? Have startup programs run on restart while still being able to lock the computer?
>>
>>55097324
Some anons made a theory. After all the gamer gate shit, reddit and tumblr made a raid on /v/ and it became a shitty place. Even more than what it was first.
Because of that, a lot of them came on /g/ to shitpost.
>>
>>55097299
How to install ffmpeg?
and how to convert from .png to webp, also how much better is webp?
also what else can ffmpeg do and is there a gui for it instead of command line?
>>
File: 5160-03XL.jpg (312 KB, 1200x1000) Image search: [Google]
5160-03XL.jpg
312 KB, 1200x1000
Accidentally bought a motherboard with connectors in retarded places. What's the resale value on motherboards like?

Pic related. What the fuck are the sata and cpu power connectors doing in the middle of the board?
>>
>>55097324
>What happened to this shithole? What happened to desktop threads?
>comes back and the first thing he looks for is for desktop threads
lmao, nigga kill yourself, those threads did not belong here and so did the dumbasses there, which you are probably one of them just trolling and shit
>>>/w/
>>
Any good lightweight Linux distros that play nice with the HP Omen(2014)? Win10 is shit for battery life, but I want to keep it for gaymen, so I need to dual boot something for working on the go. I get about 7 hours battery on Puppy, but the touchscreen is fucked.
>>
my cpu cooler is too big, so i can't use one of the ram slots.

the fan is currently pushing the air through the heatsink and it's blocking the ram slot in question. would it be worth it to mount the fan on the other side of the heatsink so it pulls the air instead of pushing it or would that make the cooling worse?

i'd rather oc my cpu than putting in 4 more gb of ram, i never used more than 10gb, anyway.
>>
>>55097759
/v/ and /g/ crossposter here, can confirm cancer influx. Some of the shit that ends up on /v/ belongs on fucking /pol/ at best. I come here to talk about the hardware side of things, mostly. I don't think I should be relegated to a gaymen board just because I fell for the gaymen laptop meme(I don't regret it).
>>
File: IMG_0984.jpg (53 KB, 800x509) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0984.jpg
53 KB, 800x509
>>55097299

Will FreeNAS run on an old Compaq shitbox with three gigs of RAM? The site says it needs eight to work properly.
>>
>>55097826
How lightweight does it need to be?
>>
My shitty setup had a 550 Ti that died last week. It's an i5 2310, 8gb ram 1333. I live in brazil and these three were the best cards I found. Which one to get?

1- Zotac GTX 950 Ti (Model GV-N950OC-2GD) - US$207 (BR$ 719)- cheapest option, would leave me with some money to get Need For Speed, GTA V and some other games I was saving for.
2- Galax GTX 960 (Model 96NPH8DVE8DC) 2GB VRAM - US$ 274 (BR$ 949)- It's the cheapest 960 I found.
3- Gigabyte GTX 960 ( Model GV-N960IXOC-4GD) 4GB VRAM - US$ 301 (BR$ 1.043)- The best I can afford right now, I'm not sure if the extra memory will be useful, but I want to keep the card as long as it's working. This one would leave me with nearly no money at all.
>>
>>55097799
>I have specific connection needs and I didn't check to make sure my mobo fit them
That wasn't very bright. SATA on the middle of the board is pretty much default. Edge is fancy.
And CPU power is always, you know, near the CPU.

Resale? Who knows. It's whatever someone wants to buy it for, and people don't usually look used for ITX builds.
>>
>>55097927
jump from 550ti to 950ti will be amazing
save money, 1/3 of the price is not worth it

alternatively if you PC works, wait for rx480 being released on june 29th
maybe it will be priced sane, or rx470 will slaughter gtx960 class
>>
>>55097876
yes it will work
generally at forums its recommended to have 1 GB of RAM per 1TB of storage
its all about file system thats used ZFS
but you will have no problems I run few nas4free boxes with 2GB c2d
also remember that the idea is that you install the system on an usb key and drives are just pure storage
>>
>>55097883
Looking for battery life more than anything. If it weren't for the touch issues, I'd just use Puppy, but I work much slower without the touch screen. I'm willing to mess around with Arch/Gentoo/etc if needed, but there are so many prebuilt distros out there, I'm hoping a fellow Omen owner or somebody with a similar laptop has stumbled across something good.
>>
am i too stupid to ever make it in programming if i have a 2.62 GPA?
>>
>>55097982
AMD cards are hard to find here, plus I live in Brazil, so new cards will take a while to be available here. So, you would go for the 950? Won't it be outdated too soon? I want to keep the card for as long as it works...
>>
>>55098023
try and see
many stupid people code
its more about the drive and perseverance
you stupid so you wont be exactly coding neural networks for organic chemistry
but theres so much programing in the world in various fields that it doesnt matter
>>
File: cover.jpg (2 MB, 1417x1417) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
2 MB, 1417x1417
4th gen i5 4690(non k) or 6th gen i5 6400?
>>
>>55098023
Learn Java and HTML5. Very good "babby's first"s. From there, learn C++ and Ruby on Rails, and you'll have an in. Just be prepared to present a portfolio if you don't want to go to school.
>>
>>55098023
It depends on your personality. If haven't, just start programming. Try totally different projects to get a feel for it.
>>
>>55097768
please
>>
>>55098060
i vaguely get java and basically get HTML.
Where do i practice though? I'm such a novice on this stuff
>>
>>55098047
it will be outdated by the upcoming AMD cards... and gtx1060 comes in fall
you dont have much choice, but if you want it to last it would be worth to wait 13 days and see how that rx480 pans out... $200 and $250 MRSP prices for performance of gtx980

but yeah, local markets will probably put a lot of markup on it, but still, maybe rx470 will be awesome as well
>>
>>55097927
What do your AMD cards go for? 7850's and 7870's abound on the used market here. They were rebranded into the 265/270/270X, and then the 7850 was rebranded again into the 370.
>>
>>55098058
4690 hands down
much higher clocks
>>
File: 1414449582110.jpg (49 KB, 792x453) Image search: [Google]
1414449582110.jpg
49 KB, 792x453
Tried posting yesterday but it just devolved into two guys arguing about wireless v wired, so I'll try again

I'm currently looking for a wireless extender. The way our house is set up, I'm not getting a solid, consistent signal from my room. Moving the router or running an ethernet cable is out of the question.

So I was wondering if you guys have had any luck with wireless extenders. I've been looking at the different types, and I'm not sure which type would be best as far as the ones which reroute the signal through the powerlines in the house or the regular kind.

The main issue I've seen pop up with the power line ones is if you're in an older house it can cause issues- which shouldn't be an issue considering our house is only 10 years old or so.

Has anyone had any experiences with any of extenders in particular? Thanks senpai
>>
>>55098166
go for power line ones
we tried 2 regular extenders they were all craps
>>
File: wat.png (13 KB, 587x293) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
13 KB, 587x293
can someone explain this to me ples
>>
>>55098109
The R7 360 is going for US$ 177, the R7 370 is about the same price as the 950, 20 or so dollars more, and the cheapest R9 380 (powercolor) with 4gb of VRAM is US$ 300.

>>55098094
As I said, it'll take a while to get this card here, at least two months, plus the markups...I don't think it's viable..
>>
I have to take out and reinstall over 1000+ hard drives in laptops this summer. Can anybody recommend a good powered screwdriver preferably with magnetic bits?
>>
>>55098005
Thanks m8
>>
Is there any version of Windows 10 that allows the user to completely disable receiving all updates?
>>
what's the best qr scanner for android? preferably one that doesn't need many permissions. i'm currently using google goggles.
>>
I came back to my computer after it automatically entered sleep mode

I hit a key to wake it up, but nothing happened. The monitor received no input apparently and defaulted into standby mode. The keyboard was non-responsive (caps lock light didn't turn on when hitting the caps key).

I did a hard shutdown by holding the power button on the case for a few seconds, and then turned it back on. When it came to, every program I had open at the time was still open. Even the tabs in my browser were fully loaded (unlike, say the way they need to reload after a browser crash that retains the tabs you had open).

Any ideas why this happened?
>>
>>55098280
out of curiosity, is this for work? a hobby? school? or what?
>>
>>55098634
My guess would be it's set to hibernate after a certain time, you caught it as it was shutting down and saving your RAM to disk, and you have a really shitty disk or an extremely fragmented hiberfil.sys file so this took a while. Bringing it back up brought it up from hibernate.
>>
>>55098667
Work. I work at my local school district and this summer is out like "overhaul" summer so we need to reimage everything... and the laptops we take the hard drive out and use a duplicator. I really don't want to have to unscrew over 1000 laptops if I don't have to.
>>
I have a friend stuck in mexico for a while (long story, went down there to work at a resort and the resort closed the week after he got there). Anyways I'm not an iphone guy so told him I'd ask for him
"Hey dude! I want to change my SIM card in my iPhone 6s but it says it is not compatible with "telcel" which is the carrier I want down here... Any advice on how to jailbreak it in order to make it work?"
Jailbreak is the wrong term, he means unlock... Any manual way of doing this or is it only doable through those pay websites?
>>
File: IMG_0689.jpg (4 MB, 4272x2848) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0689.jpg
4 MB, 4272x2848
what all can i do with this? its big
>>
>>55098693
are they at least the laptop models where you just unscrew a couple of screws and slide it out or do you gotta dissasemble the whole thing to get at the drives?

also you want a screwdriver that plugs in sort of like this one, instead of going cordless
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6RP3AY0111&cm_re=electric_screwdriver-_-9SIA6RP3AY0111-_-Product
>>
I want objective, true reasons why Java is a bad programming language.
I used to think the same, but now I think it's fucking good.
>>
File: IMG_0693!.jpg (2 MB, 3418x2279) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0693!.jpg
2 MB, 3418x2279
>>55098802
>>
Is it really not possible to remove a VAC ban from a Steam account?
>>
>>55098879
lol get fucked cheater
>>
Where do you find and how exactly do you "pirate" software/games on linux, I literally never saw anything for linux in the piratebay and I've pirated since I can remember
>>
>>55098960
You don't install Linux if you plan on using nonfree software.
>>
>>55098809
Yeah they have 2 screws for a back cover, which thankfully slides off, then 4 screws for the drive itself.
Sorry what that's basically what I want only cordless, I forgot to say before, I'm not always near an outlet with these laptops.
>>
File: anne_gonna_fuck_yo_bitch.jpg (68 KB, 452x396) Image search: [Google]
anne_gonna_fuck_yo_bitch.jpg
68 KB, 452x396
What's a good NVIDIA card for 1080p vidya? Preferably not too expensive. Meme70?
>>
>>55097799
Givin the size of your job, this is as it is.
>buyers remorse, i cant read
>>
>>55099005
If you can afford meme70, meme70.
>>
File: RB.jpg (136 KB, 1177x793) Image search: [Google]
RB.jpg
136 KB, 1177x793
This stuff will be good enough for general office tasks and web browsing, correct?
>>
File: flyer-grand-opening.jpg (586 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
flyer-grand-opening.jpg
586 KB, 1800x1200
A new vegan pizzeria has this image on their website. Could it be called aesthetic?
>>
I bought new speakers today which were the Logitech z506 5.1, It was perfect and nice sounding until I decided to update Realtek. After I did that it went to shit and now my speaker is maxed on volume everywhere but the sound is pretty damn low still. I'm running on Windows 10 (64-bit) and I haven't found a single solution, So please help me and thank you.

I tried re-downloading Realtek but I did not help me.
>>
How do people see the number of posts made by an ID on boards with IDs? When I hover over an ID it just says highlight posts by this ID.
>>
I'm looking for a good 4k TV for under 2k, but I have no idea what to look for to check if it is good?

Any recommendations or specs to watch out for?
>>
>>55099249
Yes, but why be encumbered by a desktop if not using a GPU/more than one monitor?
>>
>>55099249
more than good enough for a daily driver, hell pretty much anything c2d or better with four or mor gigs of ram is good to go, unless you're gaming or doing cad or some shit
>>
>>55099249
That CPU doesn't have integrated graphics.
>>
I compiled something from a git repo for the first time today without installing anything. Can I move the build directory to a different path without breaking anything? I couldn't follow all the operations but it should be contained in the build directory, right?
>>
>>55099279
>>55099281
My roommate needs a PC for a business she intends to start, I have some spare parts laying around (the CPU, the RAM, a PSU) so I thought I'd dump some of this stuff off to her and make some cash.

>>55099302
And that starts my next question. What sort of good enough card would you suggest?
>>
>>55099256
fug. my unicode didn't stay unicode. I posted a stylized "aesthetic". Just imagine spaces between the letters.
>>
Looking to get a new cooler for my CPU, so I went to logical increments and it looks like the H5 might be what I want. But I did some research and apparently the H7 is also good? I'm not sure which to get. Both fit my CPU and they both should be fine. The only discernable difference is that the H5 has another cooling pipe or something.

also recommendations for a hard drive would be nice, but not really that important.
>>
>>55099322
I think something like a GeForce 210 would be enough for business shit. Don't make her listen to shitty GPU fans if not needed.
>>
>>55099325
>recommendations for a hard drive
hitachi/hgst deskstar or ultrastar
>>
File: Speccy.jpg (54 KB, 494x388) Image search: [Google]
Speccy.jpg
54 KB, 494x388
How much do you think I could sell this laptop for?

The laptop in question is a desktop replacement from a few years ago, pic related
>>
>>55099361
90 dollars
>>
>>55099322
The RX 460 will be a cheap (<$100) low power card that is still faster than the GTX 950. It gets released in 2 weeks.
>>
>>55099361
Who'd you buy that Clevo from? Branding matter.
>>
I'm not able to get more than 20 or 30 Mbps Internet on my phone (nexus 6). Not even with a speed test. This is with multiple sources up to 500 Mbps. I've seen people posting screenshots of speed tests around 200 to 300 on their phones. Why is this happening?
>>
File: 130a.jpg (37 KB, 592x480) Image search: [Google]
130a.jpg
37 KB, 592x480
>>55097299
Help me out here, /g/. Should I go with the XB271HU, or the PG279Q? Was planning to pick up a refurb. Most people seem to recommend the XB271HU given that you seem to have a better shot at winning the panel lottery, but at the same time the gaymur look is offputting and the Acer refurb store is niggardly. Furthermore, the recent reviews of the PG279Q all seem rather positive with regards to BLB and whatnot. Is there anything else that I'm missing?
>>
>>55099376
Overkill, my friend. She's not playing any sort of games.
>>
I have my portfolio website (webdesign) and my daily visits are always around 3 - 5. But the last months there are days I always get around 30 visitors from the UK. See pic related. Not 40 or 20 but always exactly around 30. Is that any sort of error?
>>
>>55099407
That Asus is less overtly gamer, and your interests could change.
>>
>>55099386
Honestly I dont see any branding. Sticker on the bottom says Clevo D900F and on the center of the lid is a sticker that reads 'NOTEBOOK Mobile Technology'
>>
I want to make my first computer build, but I'm not too knowledgeable on graphics cards and mother boards. I made a PC build and I'd like for you guys to check it out for me and tell me where i messed up.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VyCVnn
>>
>>55099488
If you don't need an optical drive, don't get one.
Get 2x4GB instead of 1x8GB.
Why get a microATX board when you're not getting a MicroATX case?
PSU leaves plenty of room for upgrades, so good on that.
>>
>>55099488
That's too much to pay for that video card. Consult this chart:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

You'd have something better if you just blindly followed logicalincrements.com

Be sure to click all the links so they get a cut from your purchases, /v/irgin ;)
>>
>>55099488
Are you buying Windows? Or did it just make you add that?
>>
>>55099266
>>55099266
>>
Is VS good for JavaScript/Node development?
>>
I added it since i knew i would have to get wondows installed, and seeing as how any other windows gets windows 10 for free, i went for the cheaper version since id be getting 10 anyways. Here is the updated with your guys suggestions. And yes I need an optical drive.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hyhJxY
>>
>>55099609
That's still the wrong video card. Just do what logicalincrements.com says. You don't need to pay for Windows.

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Windows_10

Better yet, why not set that money aside for a trip to Europe after you've graduated high school, and spend your time actually doing things instead of feeding an addiction to toys that make you think you are? You'll thank me later, kid. ;)
>>
Nah I'm good, im no traveler, I'm a builder/creator, and i feel like dipping into new territory, and not a kid but thanks for the suggestion
>>
Will cross firing two rx 480s with an fx-6300 create a bottleneck?
>>
>>55099577
I use vscode for it.
>>
>>55099577
Intellij ultimate is p good not sure about vs tho
>>
>>55099373
Its obviously worth more than $90

Hell, if I pulled the CPU out I could get around $300 according to Amazon.
>>
>>55099850
good luck with that
>>
Can you browse the internet with an oculus rift or htc vive? google brings up nothing but i heard that it's possible
>>
>>55099876
INTERNET IS NOT SYNONYMOUS WITH WEB REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: wat.png (81 KB, 766x607) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
81 KB, 766x607
I just installed new cpu, mobo, ram and cpu cooler. After a few minutes in Witcher 3, I'm getting these temps. Are these normal? My old cpu (an old AMD FX 8350) didn't get half as hot.

My case is a bit small and everything's kinda cramped in there. I made sure the cpu fan is at 100% while playing.

Is my cpu gonna die if I keep playing like this?
>>
>>55099908
my apologies
>>
>>55099917
That's nominally nominal, and you don't need to manually set CPU fan speed. Your computer knows what it's doing. It may run a bit cooler if you install Windows 10.
>>
>>55099917
>>55099959
But in Power Options, do have the cooling policy set to Active.
>>
>>55099959
I just set it to 100% if it goes over 58C.

Also, in rest, like, just after turning it on and shit it stays between 45C and 48C. I don't think that's normal, with only like a couple of chrome tabs open and literally no cpu intensive programs open.

>>55099973
What does that do?
>>
Currently studying abroad in Japan and needed to get a new phone. I bought an iPhone and put my SIM card in but my mobile network isn't working unlike how it previously did with my now dead Galaxy S4. My carrier is Tmobile so it has a partnership with some of the local carriers I think to allow for access to their network while here. I know the phone is SIM unlocked as well as I bought it from the apple store and have been able to text home.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do or if there's something I did wrong? It's my first iPhone so I'm not all that familiar with it yet.
>>
>>55099982
Those temperatures are fine. You should be a little cautious if your superior intel silicon gets above 85.

>What does that do?
Makes it speed up the fan before slowing down the processor.
>>
I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and I honestly hate it. I want a bigger screen, a removable battery and THE DAMN SPEAKER needs to be on the back, not on the bottom edge! I'm thinking about switching to a Samsung J7, which is what I want but it's 720p instead of 1080p. Does it really make a difference? I watch a lot of videos/play games and I really love being able to see every detail.
>>
>>55100013
Thank you a lot. Also I just discovered that it's only recognicing one of my two 8gb rams. Add that one to the fuck up list.
>>
I just switched from an iPhone to an android and all of the vendor(Verizon) bloat is annoying. Also, its not very intuitive(I really hate the calendar). Can I start correcting this by rooting/installing cyanogenmod? What should I do to make this a more pleasing experience? In before "buy an iPhone".
>>
Is getting an associates in CS then a bachelors in physics a bad idea? If I were to apply for the same job as someone with an bachelors in CS would they be hired/preferred instead? Assuming we have the same programming exp. ...

Pls decide my future, k, thanks.
>>
What's some technology-related stuff I can do with 99% isopropyl alcohol?
>>
>>55100045
S6 is 1440. How much are you using a phone's speaker? You should never do that in public, and at home you can plug it in or get one of those handy bluetooth pods. It's a stupid reason to downgrade everything else. And get a power bank instead of swapping batteries. It doesn't cost any more than a phone battery, and can also charge other stuff.

I considered phablets but decided I like to pocket my phone sometimes. Are you sure you'll never be doing that?
>>
what's the best method to lock my mouse into one of my monitors?
>>
>>55100172
Clean things
>>
File: 3289479378.png (33 KB, 1642x442) Image search: [Google]
3289479378.png
33 KB, 1642x442
>>55097299
What is this and how I fix it?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160615-195642.png (121 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160615-195642.png
121 KB, 1440x2560
how to i stop android keyboard from autocorrecting a word without outright disabling autocorrect?
>>
>>55100234
add it to your personal dictionary
>>
>>55100261
Is that really the only way? That's completely ridiculous. Does swiftkey or another keyboard let you?
>>
I switch from a iPhone 6s plus to a nexus 6P did I do a good thing?
>>
How would one script a oneliner that would go in to all folders in the folder it is called from,go in to every folder,look for a file containing a certain word(in this case 'cover') and then mv it back to the base dir it was called from
>>
How long until gtx 1070's start popping up that actually sell at the msrp of $380?

Also, are we going to get any RX 480 benchmarks before the 29th?
>>
>>55100279
How is that any different from what you described? Is it supposed to magically know which words you don't want autocorrected?
>>
why do all android music players reset the "recently played" playlist when you reboot the phone?
>>
What do you use to clean a dirty cpu pins / socket / contact cleaner?
>>
>>55100383
Uh, probably never? Depends on the brand. If you're from America it might happen but otherwise that will never happen because of VAT and import tax and other shit.

Maybe you can find cheap ones that are reference but made out of plastic for a bit cheaper.
>>
>>55100436
(You)
>>
>>55100460
I've never needed to, because I've always had the sense not to touch them. I think rubbing alcohol would work for lands.
>>
>>55100319
yes

>>55100279
how is that ridiculous? you literally just tap on the word and say add to dictionary and then it will stop changing that word.

>>55100113
yes if you root you will be able to uninstall most of that crap, and if you install cyanogenmod or another custom rom it won't come with any bloat at all.

>>55100482
Yeah I live in america. There are some rumors that the MSI aerso and the base EVGA versions will sell for $380 but I can't seem to find an actual source for these numbers.
I'm really disappointed since I was looking forward to getting one of these for my first build, but $410 is just too much. Seriously considering the 480 as of now if the leaks are true and it really does deliver 980 level performance.
>>
Did they come out with another pin standard for PSU's again ?

I was building a new rig recently and I noticed that the CPU connector is now 8 pins from the 6 I remember it being.
When did this happen ? (or was it from 4 to 6 ?)

I'm kinda of bummed out, I have a solid PSU right now and I might not be able to take it with me to future builds.
>>
>>55100492
what
>>
My HDD has been clicking recently so I suppose its on the way out. Which brands would /g/ suggest?
>>
>>55097768
>>55098083
please #2
>>
>>55100532
Check the S.M.A.R.T.

Sometimes a hard drive can click for years without any trouble.
>>
At what point should I consider downloading more RAM to a server
>>
>>55100598
There should never be a point where you are not downloading more ram.
>>
>>55100510
It was updated from 4 to 8 pins
You may be able to use a 4 pin with an 8 pin motherboard, or it might melt the the connector, or it might not work at all.
>>
>>55100418
no but there used to be an option say the suggestion all the way to the left, or some small x, that lets you keep the word.

>>55100508
I dont want a bunch or random bullshit i used once that swipe and suggestion might try and give me, that's fucking retarded.
>>
>>55100587
I'll check it then. I've had it for about 7-8 years now so I was concerned. Still might look into a new drive just so I can get more storage.
>>
>>55100697
If you just want to revert it once without adding it to the dictionary just hit backspace after it autocorrects.
>>
>>55100718
>sqt
>giving a legitimate suggestion
>ever
kek
>>
>>55100705
That's old. As with any information stored in any way anywhere, have backups of anything that matters.
>>
File: IMG_20160615_192742885.jpg (2 MB, 2340x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160615_192742885.jpg
2 MB, 2340x4160
How the fuck do I get this cpu power cable out? The retention clips hardly move at all, I'm pulling with all my might and wiggling.
>>
>>55100694
ahh ok.

Any recommendations on a decent PSU that won't cause a house fire or break the bank ?

I know the 20 > 24 pin thing was less important as long as you didn't try to push too many amps, but seeing how this is the CPU pins its probably not a good deal to fuck with it.
>>
>>55100735
I have an external with everyting that matters. It's not as old but still kinda old. That's why I decided to look for a new HDD when the clicking started.

It's also the oldest part in my current rig by far.
>>
>>55097299
How do you all get your daily news? Is there an app that will come up with the top 20 news stories at the time or a website that does something similar? Or any sort of news aggregator that doesn't suck dick or pander to a specific audience?
>>
>>55100757
http://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/
>>
>>55100776
>daily news
>doesn't pander to a specific audience
just visit the 4chan boards for topics you're interested in and you'll get your news. Just stay away from /pol/ for that last part.
>>
File: 1466044835591.jpg (27 KB, 570x606) Image search: [Google]
1466044835591.jpg
27 KB, 570x606
>>55100756
Put a finger nail under neath the point with the red arrow, pull away from the cradle, and then pull up.

Also;
>2340x4160)
>2.31MB
You are everything wrong with the internet.
>>
I see these mice being advertised as 20,ooo dpi.
Can anyone in the world use that high dpi?
>>
File: a73FFAF.png (318 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
a73FFAF.png
318 KB, 500x475
>>55100767
>rig
>>
>>55100767
>only two copies
Enjoy your data loss...kid...
>>
File: build.png (47 KB, 1164x564) Image search: [Google]
build.png
47 KB, 1164x564
Rate this build please.
Currently considering getting the 1070, but if I go with the 480 I'll be able to get a 6500K and 16gb ram. Not sure which combo to go with.
>>
>>55100814
Can't get fingernail under it because the I/O is in the way. I tried a screwdriver from underneath but it's split so it only lifts half the clip.
>>
>>55100840
I usually don't post, sorry.
>>
>>55100875
alright I'm gonna help you out since I feel bad for you.
Don't apologize for posting something otherwise people will just keep making fun of you.
>>
>>55100797
Thanks for the input however I did that for a couple years and it took too much time out of my day. I won't even mention facebook's attempt at news aggregation, reddit's is going the same way Digg did except it's taking on water rather than going down in flames, does twitter have a decent way of doing things?
>>
>>55100857
Maybe an EVGA power supply instead, but that'll work fine. Don't get 16 GB unless you explicitly need it (VMs, etc), 8 will work fine 99% of the time. Don't get the 1070 now, wait for the 480 benchmarks for sure. I'd get an SSD with the money you saved with the 480. Overall, 6/10 in its current state.
>>
>>55099770
I've tried using VSCode for it, but it goes to shit whenever you require some module.
>>
>>55100757
Seasonic/Silverstone or rebrands
There are other good OEMs but i'll let you do your own research.
>>
Anyone's duckduckgo search not working? I can't access duckduckgo.com, but I can ping it. Tried two browsers but no dice, downorjustme is showing it as up but that might just be pinging it too
>>
Is Monoprice a meme or do they make actually good stuff?
>>
File: 250px-Robot_Richard_Simmons.png (44 KB, 250x185) Image search: [Google]
250px-Robot_Richard_Simmons.png
44 KB, 250x185
I have a msi z170a along with an i5-6600.
Don't have my new gpu just yet cause shipping bullshit. Can i use my old radeon hd 5570 and play old games?
>>
>>55100995
I've bought all my cables from them since around 2004
>>
>>55100995
They do make good stuff and it all comes their US warehouse so you dont' have to wait weeks/months for the chink package to arrive.
>>
>>55100995
They have solid no-frills cables
Other stuff like monitors can be rebrands of mediocre shit, so be cautious.
>>
>>55100875
That anon was autistic. Rig is a commonly used and fine term for a gaming computer.
>>
>>55101109
nice meme's
>>
>>55100814
I got it eventually. The arrow helped.
>>
File: 1331017227684.jpg (26 KB, 219x222) Image search: [Google]
1331017227684.jpg
26 KB, 219x222
>>55101025
>>
File: 1354962945144.gif (1 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1354962945144.gif
1 MB, 400x400
>>55101231
>less than 18 minutes
No. Get out. And take your moeshit with you.
>>
I want to get my brother a small laptop. He only uses his current shit one for work, Facebook, YouTube and on rare occasion video games.

Any suggestions for one, maybe with a good screen?
>>
>>55101291
Budget? Why is the current one not enough?
>>
>>55101286
Please don't be mean to developmentally disabled users.

>>55101025
Yeah, sure, why not?
>>
File: 3aa65038_pynAomx.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
3aa65038_pynAomx.gif
2 MB, 448x252
How hot can an FX 6300 get before you start shortening it's lifespan.

I found some threads on Tom's Hardware that state an FX 6300 should only go up to about 60 and others that say 64.
Some people on /g/ keep saying "as hot as any cpu, 80 Degrees is fine!"
SOME even differentiate between "core/package" temp and "Core temperatures."
FUCK! All I have is the program Core Temp to monitor this shit.
>>
>>55101025
>5570
Hmm.. I'm actually not sure if that's going to be faster than your integrated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skylake-intel-core-i7-6700k-core-i5-6600k,4252-9.html

It's not.
>>
>>55101348
Anything above absolute zero will shorten its lifespan.

I don't know much about AMD processors with their shitty temperature reporting that reads negative at room temperature, but superior intel silicon can sit comfortably at 80 for years.
>>
>>55101404
i can confirm this
t. i7 2600k 50c idle 80-95c load for 5 years
>>
Why has nobody ever made a motherboard where the pins point backwards in to the tray so you can plug them in directly from the cable management space? Then there would be no unsightly cables.
>>
>>55101428
Because nobody cares what the inside of a case looks like.
>>
>>55101348
>>55101404
>>55101419
Aren't the intel chips used in Google's data centers warrantied up to 95 degrees?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (39 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
39 KB, 1280x720
I need a laptop with great portability and battery life to take with me across the fuckin globe this summer. (not joking)

this will also be my main machine for the remainder of university. I'm an engineering major.

right now I'm just thinking XPS 13, any other alternative recommendations? will it go on sale before july?

thanks ni/g/s
>>
Are most women nasty like my mom?
>>
>>55101464
Intel server CPUs have a max IHS temperature (it varies by chip) that they can reach before throttling. Most are below 95 degrees, but most of the time server CPUs don't run that hot.
>>
when I put a video file into ffmpeg to make a webm, will the input file still remain after it gets output? Or do I have to specify that the input file needs to remain as it is?
>>
>>55101617
It won't eat the file. That would be stupid.
>>
>>55101709
It would be stupid, but I thought I'd check. ty.
>>
I'm making a new PC with some hand me downs from my old system. I have storage and an odd. Can anyone point out anything I've missed. pcpartpicker.com/list/N9wnQV
>>
>>55102040
You don't need 16GB of RAM. I'm sure there's better micro ATX cases.
>>
Is there any spooky shit in the new security updates for win7?
>>
>>55102122
Windows 7 is obsolete. If you don't need Windows 10, you probably don't need windows. Let it happen or install Ubuntu.
>>
Are there any frameworks for other languages that have Node.js style non-blocking IO?
>>
>>55102103
How's this. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/pzCcf8. Also I already have a decent PSU.
>>
I want to use the AT&T voice for a few videos.
I found a few online but they don't allow me to change the pitch of the voice.

Is there a program I can download that both has the voice and allows me to change the pitch and tone of it?
>>
So can anyone recommend how to spend $2000 to make as good a gaming PC as possible?

By that I mean just tell me all the possible pieces I can buy
>>
>>55102291
logicalincrements.com
>>
>>55102291
Have you even left your home continent?
>>
File: 1457403015867.png (142 KB, 345x337) Image search: [Google]
1457403015867.png
142 KB, 345x337
Is a SSD via USB 3.0 faster than an HDD with SATA6?
>>
>>55102439
when ever i close chrome screen goes black for 2 secs
>>
>>55101307
It has trouble watching YouTube videos at 720p; it's a real toaster.

Hoping for around $500 range.
>>
What anti virus do you use?
>>
File: Capture.png (1 MB, 1185x570) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1 MB, 1185x570
Checking up on a friend's laptop, this harddrive is pretty much fucked right?
>>
>>55102439
Yes
>>
>>55102462
A few reallocated sectors aren't the end of the world but I wouldn't be relying on it for anything important.
>>
>>55102386
Multiple times.
>>
File: Flicker.webm (21 KB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
Flicker.webm
21 KB, 400x224
How do I get the first tab in cmus to display folders/subfolders in the media directory instead of artists/albums? Is it possible?
>>
>>55102462
Is there a reason you're checking up on it? If it's suddenly slowed down or been having issues, yes, it's probably going. Otherwise, there's no saying how long those bad sectors have been there. Sometimes you'll rack some up and it'll stop.
>>
>>55102568
They claim it's been slowing down to the point of usability again (And it was the first time I reinstalled windows, to the point where it barely worked), but after looking into it it seems like they haven't used it at all since I last formatted it (All files are default, downloads and all that are empty, doesn't even have wifi adapter drivers) so I think they just assume it was still fucked since they got a new laptop right after I reformatted this one.

Either way it seems to be running at an at least acceptable speed right now so I might use it for a while and run the checks again in a week or two to see if the number of sectors has gone up.
>>
>>55102159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-104-567&FM=1
>>
>>55102653
anyone know how to reinstall windows 10
>>
I know you can install Win7 with a USB drive, but can I skip a step and just make a partition on a hard drive that can work as an install drive for that same hard drive, or will an install drive only work if it's putting Win7 on a separate drive? It's a Win7 iso if that matters.
>>
File: pcpp.png (35 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
pcpp.png
35 KB, 700x500
Rate this partial gaeming build if you can be bothered. I'm a total noob and don't really know what I'm doing. Came here following advice from the wiki.
Just let me know if there's anything horribly wrong with this so far.
>>
>>55102983
My advice is you start from scratch
>>
Anyone have experience with LiteOn SSDs? I found one for cheap and I was thinking of putting it on my old Core 2 desktop. I don't want to invest too much money on it. This desktop already has a 500gb Seagate hard drive. It's a LiteON MU2 btw.
>>
>>55097299

why the fuck do OLED screens strain my eyes?! isn't it supposed to be better thanks to the "True black colors" and all that shit. My super bright ass MOTO G at 3am doesn't strain my eyes as much as my Galaxy s7. God damn this phone burns my eyes.
>>
>>55102983
If you can wait for the new video cards to become available
>>
Should I put my SSD behind the motherboard or in the hard drive cage?
>>
>>55103146
Doesn't matter.
>>
how can i transfer picture from a nokia 108 to my laptop?
>>
Here's a stupid question for you. I want to [spoiler]down[/spoiler]grade my PC to win 10 and I'm just wondering if all my files will be kept or wil they be deleted also can I change locale and stuff on the free version?
>>
What is a decent custom rom that looks like android lollipop, and doesn't track me?
>>
File: explain.png (108 KB, 785x248) Image search: [Google]
explain.png
108 KB, 785x248
answer pic related
>>
Hey, the OneeChan rice script is not loading ontop of 4chan x, I tried resetting 4chan x settings, uninstalling and reinstalling and also restarting the browser.
I tried deleting localstorage as the github wiki suggests but no luck.

Links to githubs:
https://github.com/ccd0/4chan-x
https://github.com/Nebukazar/OneeChan/
>>
>>55103626
Go to settings and fiddle around.
>>
So I was stupid and decided it was a good idea to flash latest GPU BIOS.. Surprise surprise now it won't even boot, can't do shit.. I have Gigabyte R9 280, Windows 10. Any way to fix it or I must send it back and play dumb why it stopped working all of sudden
>>
>>55103678
flash it back
>>
File: desw.png (351 KB, 1217x673) Image search: [Google]
desw.png
351 KB, 1217x673
Okay so anyone know how to remove these bloody suggestion's every time i search for an application?

One more question, how do i add like a bar on the lock screen that tells me what song is playing, and a button to skip/pause/play etc.
I'm sick of having to log in every time i want to change a song.

>>55103146
cage

>>55103367
Get your charging cable (microUSB) and plug it into your computer, locate the phones folders, find the folder called DCIM or Pictures and your picture will be somewhere in there.

Or you can upload ot to imgur, copy the link and paste it on your computer then save it from imgur,

>>55103678
Flash the old one.
>>
>>55103624
cyanogenmod
>>
>>55103686
How? When I power on the PC it doesn't do shit, screen remains black and I can't do anything
>>
>>55103747
Use integrated graphics or a spare GPU
>>
Is the Galaxy Tab S2 currently the tablet with the best screen for movies?
>>
what commodore amiga is the best?
>>
>>55103767
Well fuck.. Don't have any, my old GPU is dead
>>
is there a way to test if a cpu is alive without insulating it?
>>
>>55103790
not even motherboard integrated? come on , it must have an intel hd graphics or the like
>>
>>55103802
>insulating it
Huh?
>>
>>55103813
putting thermal paste on it and applying the disipator
>>
>>55103811
AMD Fx 8320
>>
>>55103843
well, use those, plug your VGA/ HDMI to the motherboard instead of your card and done, reflash your card from there
>>
what happens if I delete nvidia audio drivers? I'm using an audio interface that has its own driver
>>
>>55103880
Probably just won't be able to use HDMI audio

>>55103834
I guess english is not your first language
Insulating it means keeping the heat inside (this is bad)
You should not attempt to use a CPU without any heat sink attached.
>>
>>55103864
Motherboard doesn't have video out, only usb, ps-2, audio and ethernet.. But somehow my old GPU decided to work so I managed to enter windows
>>
>>55103912
So part 2, does your motherboard even have two PCIe x16 slots?
>>
>>55103927
Yes, 2 of them
>>
Good browser for android phones? Firefox with addons.. ghostrry?
>>
>>55103975
Opera
>>
Is it best to have the system volume at 100 and then just adjust programs' and games' sound levels?
>>
Is MBAM premium worth getting? My pirate licenses finally expired
>>
Using Manjaro xfce. best pdf reader that remembers where you left off? default doesn't do that.

>>55103975
>>55073300
Good thread to see discussion. don't have a tl;dr
>>
>>55103927
You here?
>>
Where can I comprehensibly and quickly learn about angular? My study material from school isn't cutting it.
>>
How do I add a dns server to my arch install?
resolv.conf.head doesn't seem to work
>>
My downloads folder uses my secondary drive as i don't like to use my SSD for storage.

Problem is that the folder will delete all the contents from time to time(seemingly random) and leaving a file called msdownld.tmp in the root of the drive.

Any help is apreciated as i'm losing my mind.
>>
>>55104098
Well just see if it boots with both cards in, and if it does you can try and flash the old firmware and see if it works
If it doesn't then I dunno
>>
File: Kinect-xbox-one-logo.jpg (11 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
Kinect-xbox-one-logo.jpg
11 KB, 640x430
How to turn my Kinect into a IP cam?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.