[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I run Linux Mint right now. Should I switch to Arch? Let's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 1446996803396.gif (906 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
1446996803396.gif
906 KB, 500x349
I run Linux Mint right now. Should I switch to Arch?

Let's do this.
>>
>>55093763
Mint, being a fork of a fork of a fork, has multiple layers of miscommunications from it's original maintainers.
Thus, Mint is broken. In mysterious ways. In ways that no one knows how to fix.

Always use a mainline distro.

Debian, OpenSUSE, Arch, Gentoo, Slackware, Fedora. And the company. Only distros you should even consider running.
>>
>>55093828
What about Manjaro?
>>
>>55093848
Same thing.
Architect is the installer you want to use if you don't want to manually install arch. At least it doesn't implement anything of it's own.
>>
>>55093828
Anything wrong with current Crunchbang? Just installed it on my laptop.
>>
>>55094160
It's fucking dead.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=crunchbang
>status: Discontinued
>>
If youre using an Ubuntu derivative you should be using Debian
>>
File: 4L_NJJ2tRQv.png (487 KB, 912x710) Image search: [Google]
4L_NJJ2tRQv.png
487 KB, 912x710
>>55093763
>not installing gentoo in the current year
>>
>>55093763
Is mint your first contact with linux ?
If it is sugest you to try manjaro on a VM
>>
>>55094288
More or less, I had Ubuntu for a long time literally knowing nothing about what I was doing. Now I decided to stay with linux forever and tried Mint, but I don't know if I'm convinced...
>>
>>55094199
Hey
There is a new version called Crunchbang++ And its sweet.
https://www.crunchbangplusplus.org/
>>
>>55094459
So try manjaro it's an easy way in with the posibility to go balls deep if you want it
>>
>>55093828
There is literally nothing wrong with running RHEL.
>>
>>55094160
>>55094199
>Crunchbang
is it 2013 again already?
>>
>>55095364
Other than the fact that yum is a piece of shit in RHEL and every other distro based on it.
>>
>>55093763
>i am using shit
>should I switch to dogshit
lel
>>
File: 4L_CSuu7zm1.jpg (18 KB, 275x287) Image search: [Google]
4L_CSuu7zm1.jpg
18 KB, 275x287
Between Mint not even being able to secure their own servers to them blocking security and kernel updates, fuck that shit and install Xubuntu.
>>
>>55095606

https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/
>>
>>55093763
That's a big jump. Use Manjaro or Antergos before Arch
>>
>>55093763
Antergos,Architect,Arch Anywhere,BBQLinux.Use any of them,just don't try to install Arch from scratch.If you're using Linux Mint,you're probably still too retarded to get it right and we don't wanna hear you a week later talking sit about how bad Arch sucks.
>>
>>55095933
Installing Arch really isnt that hard with the help of the wiki.

Still pointless though.
>>
>>55096145
Why pointless?
>>
File: 1463272333230.jpg (924 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
1463272333230.jpg
924 KB, 1660x1940
>>55093763
get a life ffs
>>
>>55093763
>I run Linux Mint right now. Should I switch to Arch?

If you feel that you should do it because everyon on 4chan will think you have a small cock if you run mint then yes do it, but if you can bear the laughter then dont
>>
>>55094788
There is also other crew doing #! Called BunsenLabs the difference is that BL is a community where #!++ is one autist kinda Temple OS shit
>>
>>55093763
Install gentoo
>>
>>55094199
There's its continuation called crunchbang ++ if you didn't know.
>>
>>55095606
>to them blocking security and kernel updates
Link please
>>
>>55093828
>Mint, being a fork of a fork of a fork, has multiple layers of miscommunications from it's original maintainers.
>Thus, Mint is broken. In mysterious ways. In ways that no one knows how to fix.
Mint is an improvement on Ubuntu, the Ubuntu community refuses to accept improvements or forks even though they are a fork because they are hypocrites and against the Linux philosophy of constantly improving by forking. The Ubuntu community are both open source fanatics and yet force their isolated brand of open source and shoot down anyone who would divert from or improve on how they do things
>>
>Install openbox on Mint
>install Arch on openbox
>big wow, litterally nothing
>continue using Mint
>>
>>55093828
>Thus, Mint is broken.
its not broken, its better than Ubuntu which is why Mint has a larger user base than Ubuntu

>In mysterious ways. In ways that no one knows how to fix.
Ubuntu/Mint incompatibilities could be fixed by accepting Mint as an official version of Ubuntu, the Mint community and its leader accept this, the Ubuntu community and its leader dont, gee, wonder whos at fault here?
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.