[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Storage thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: corpsite-sponsors.jpg (79 KB, 630x730) Image search: [Google]
corpsite-sponsors.jpg
79 KB, 630x730
Trying to start a thread about storage technologies, let's see how many other people are into it.
What storage do you use?
What protocols?
What are you looking forward for the next generation of storage?

I work mostly with NetApp storage machines in SAN environment with UNIX front-end.
Our fabric is made by Brocade switches, a few NetApp cluster, and tape libraries.
I'm seriously looking forward to DNA based storage and how this could possibly change the market
>>
>tfw no home version of NetApp filers.

After I spent some time with those devices I don't want to use anything else. But they only sell shit mounted in racks.

>>55092470
Are you running CDOT or 7mode?
>>
I'm more of a database guy myself, but I'm curious. Why do people still use tape storage in this day and age? Any benefits over disk/solid state storage?
>>
>>55092532

Its cheap. If your RTO is high you don't need disk to disk backup. Also archiving. When you need to store shit for 10 years for some reason, you don't need HDDs for that.
>>
>>55092526
I run both but as 7-mode is now deprecated, future will be CDOT.
if you are an employee or a partner you can download a simulator to run in ESX which is pretty good to study the product unless you really need physical HW.

>>55092532
Tapes are not used for live data anymore but only for backup purposes
>>
>>55092470
protip: netapp filers are just glorified x86_64 machines
>>
>>55092852

I found a tutorial how to run the simulator on VirtualBox. Right now I don't need to worry about lack of NVRAM.

>>55092879
Yeah, but try to build a filer without ONTAP operating system.
>>
>>55092965
If you can officially download the simulator, then you should also be able to officially obtain a copy of Data ONTAP installation image.
The real problem is lack of proprietary parts like NVRAM and Interconnect.
Anyway be aware that running the simulator is nowhere close to the real machine, both in terms of performance and capabilities
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.