[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do PSUs usually fail under normal operation? Do they just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Power_Supply_Pile_1_sm.jpg (526 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Power_Supply_Pile_1_sm.jpg
526 KB, 1600x1200
How do PSUs usually fail under normal operation? Do they just shut down, or is there any chance they'll burst into flames or something?

I have a computer running 24/7 that's using a ~10 year old PSU of a good brand. Is it risky? I don't want to come home to a burning apartment.
>>
>>55088819
The computer will just shut off if it tries to draw more watts from the PSU than it can handle.
>>
Most just splutter and die. Very few go bang unless running larger loads than they're rated for at the time. Fans dying is another common problem, leading to them overheating and shutting down, as long as they have proper OTP. It's very unlikely that one will catch fire, and even less likely that the fire would burn for any length of time if it did, being contained in a small metal box.
>>
>>55088853
Depends on the psu, I've had a few blow up on me with little load, or moderate load.

I found some for A$15 that are trash and literally housefires, they sell like hotcakes though.
>>
Thanks guys that's good to hear.

Actually the PSU is more like 15 years old, it's from a PC I built in 2001, lol. Works fine still though, but that PC is pretty barebones so there isn't much draw on it anyway. It's a Chieftec.
>>
>>55088819
Depends entirely on the PSU design. Decent ones have multiple failsafes and shutdown features. Cheap ones might fry or even catch fire.
>>
>>55088892
>15 years old
You're better off with something new.
>>
>>55088987
Yeah probably. I do have a newer Antec 480W lying around.
>>
>>55089039
If it's running 24/7 check the how reliable it is. Your 15 year old unit might be more reliable than some budget piece of shit.
>>
>>55089055
How?
>>
>>55089088
Google is your friend. Idk if antec make their own PSUs or not so if they don't, check the oem to make sure it's reliable.
>>
>>55089161
Looks like the Antec has a MTBF of 80k hours and the Chieftec has 100k.

Maybe I'll just leave the Chieftec one in there for now and look into buying a new one in the future...
>>
EVGA 1000 G2

10 year warranty

feelsgoodman
>>
>>55088853

that's assuming it isn't completely FUBAR

>>55088819

Yes. They are expected to fail safely, but a catastrophic failure isn't impossible.
>>
>>55089161
>Google is your friend.
No its not, google is a surveillance monster.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.