[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has CPU technology reached its peak? I can alternate between
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: anime question girl.jpg (50 KB, 736x724) Image search: [Google]
anime question girl.jpg
50 KB, 736x724
Has CPU technology reached its peak? I can alternate between a CPU from 2015 and a CPU from 2010 and not notice any difference in performance.
>>
>anime question girl.jpg
>>
>>55085909
>not notice any difference in performance.
I think that you have meant "not notice any difference in performance during some Internet browsing, light gaming and things like that".
In AAA games there is a deference, but it's not huge though.
>>
>>55085909
Kind of, yea. Outright performance has been pushed aside for power efficiency. Current processors are AMAZINGLY powerful for their power draw compared to older ones, but not significantly much more powerful overall. What this has led to, though, is very high numbers of cores in a single package.
>>
>>55085909
No. My HPC cluster today is like an order of magnitude faster than ones from several years ago. It's all in how you structure your architecture to deal with high core count hardware. Most interesting problems these days are parallel anyway.
>>
>>55085909
I think you're on the wrong board buddy.
>>>/a/
>>
File: 1433827571433.png (207 KB, 635x681) Image search: [Google]
1433827571433.png
207 KB, 635x681
>>55085909
It's not that CPU has reached it's peak, it's that for the past 6 years.... nothing has really pushed the CPU to it's peak since we were all using DX11 and that was really made with single core processors in mind.

The issue with DX11 is that it dumps almost all the workload onto the first core of the CPU and it doesn't do shit with the other cores. Pic related and just because it's a AMD pic doesn't mean this isn't also true for Intel processors.

We've only begun to scratch the surface of multicore use for preformance. With new technologies such as Mantle, Vulcan and DX12, we've finally started to push the CPU more and more by making use of all the core it has.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.