[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How and where do Android games store their files? I want to simply
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: android question.png (47 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
android question.png
47 KB, 300x300
How and where do Android games store their files? I want to simply switch out a few images, like I would be able to with most PC games, but Android games seem bizarre as fuck and don't seem to act like other games. The only file I see in the folder for the game I want to alter a bit is keyChainStore.dat
>>
>>55057957
/data/app
Extract the apk, change images, recompile, and install
>>
>>55058586
>I have to entirely recompile
I figured it was some stupid shit like this.
>>
>>55058586
Also, how do I get to /data/app? Is this just the local Data folder? Because that's empty, apparently.
>>
>>55058615
Na just compress to .zip and rename to .apk
>>
>>55058615
What kind of games do you play on pc where you can easily switch images? Little fighter 2?
>>
>>55058649
Need root
>>
>>55058656
Just about anything. Of course, it's been a while since I bought any games so mine are a bit older. Typically you can find the images for sprites or the icons, etc.

>>55058673
So I can't even do this unless I root my phone? I have to say, I'm super beginner level with phones since I mostly loathe them.
>>
>>55058697
Unless you already have the .apk file
>>
>>55058656
Probably Sims or some shit
>>
>>55058724
No. The Sims ruined older simulation games by turning it into reality tv. I fucking despise people who played Sims.
>>
>>55058749
You probably shouldn't play games on your phone then, because they usually ruin everything you ever loved.

And yes you need root, because you can break stuff big time this way
>>
>>55058871
Jesus this is annoyingly overcomplicated for games that aren't worthy of being on Sega Game Gear.
>>
Well I have the apk for the app, but what do I actually do with it now?
>>
>>55059024
Extract it like you would with a zip
>>
>>55059034
But when re-zipping it and storing as an APK, doesn't that give you problems with zip align / dexing?
>>
>>55059091
Don't know what that means, but no I've had no trouble with it
>>
>>55059034
Phones aren't real computers though. I can't even right-click to unzip and I don't even know if my phone comes with an archive program. Neither do the files show up neatly in one place so far as I can tell. Where would I extract them to? Just anywhere to work on them, then save them into the game's folder or something? Would I lose my save data?
>>
>>55059118
Why are you trying to do this if you can't even unzip a file? And just get any file manager off the play store, and just extract them anywhere. No you won't lose data, that's stored in a different location
>>
>>55059160
>Why are you trying to do this if you can't even unzip a file?
Well I can in about 1 second on a computer. Cell phones are programmed retarded as fuck. And I have ES File Explorer but I'm not sure it has an option to extract APKs. I did back up the one I wanted so I have the file now, but I guess I'll have look into another file explorer?
>>
>>55059252
Alright, I'm extracting now. Hope I'm doing this right.
>>
I can't find the images in any folder. Could it be all the graphics are stored online and not on my SD card? How would I know? I see images for icons and basic navigation stuff, but none of the images from the game except fore the game's icon itself.
>>
>>55059252
>Cell phones are programmed retarded as fuck.
No, you just don't know how to use them.
>>
>>55059468
Depends on the game. What is it?
These games aren't developed for easy modding. Usually images are in the res/drawables folder, but who knows what the dev did to secure their work
>>
>>55058649
>>55057957
>>55058615
Leave this board
>>
>wants to modify app
>expects this of a device which doesn't even give you root/administrative access out of the box
It's doable, but begs the question of why you're using android in the first place.
>>
>>55059504
No, cell phones are just programmed retarded as fuck. They use the Windows 8 "let's change everything from what everyone is accustomed to so everyone has to learn a totally different system" model. I had to download a file manager, because my phone didn't come with one, which is totally inexcusable, then just randomly press icons because none of them were explained or labeled until through a combination of luck and trial and error I managed to backup the APK, then I had to hunt for a way to exctract the APK, and now it appears the data isn't even on my SD card. If cell phones are going to pretend to be computers, at least they should emulate some degree of basic computer functionality.

>>55059609
Magic Puzzle Quest. I just wanted to swap out some of the card images for other versions, since I don't like the ones they used for some cards. They have card text files for each card. Typically in a game like this there's the text file and the card images in a separate folder, but I can't seem to find any. Or any other images, for that matter, other than Android navigation button stuff, which is really odd.

>Usually images are in the res/drawables folder
There are 16 drawables folders in res and none of them seem to have card images bizarrely.

>>55059836
Suck this dick.

>>55060045
>expects this of a device which doesn't even give you root/administrative access out of the box
Yeah, which is pretty fucking stupid and goes right back to what I was saying about cell phones just being shitty half-designed imitations of computers.

>It's doable, but begs the question of why you're using android in the first place.
It's my phone that I use for everything. I just happened to download a game that kills time.
>>
>>55057957
>>55058615
>>55059024
>>55059091
>>55059252
leave this board. we're not your tech support, bitch.
>>
>>55060158
Cellphones are made for retards (of which you are one), so root privileges are absolutely in the wrong hands with retards (like you).
They are made to read/write emails, plan your day, take notes and play some games. They aren't development devices and since you expect them to be, you clearly are a troll. /thread
>>
>>55061025
>*we're* not your tech support
>people legitimately trying to help him
Fuck off. If people want to help him they can. He shouldn't *expect* help, but if people want to give it let them.
>>
>>55061025
>>55061107
>>55061117
Blue boards are always like this. Everyone trying to show everyone else up about how little "help they need" and how great of """"""""""""""""""""""experts"""""""""""""""""""""" they are on the topic of the board. The fact is though, the sort of people who throw fits like this don't actually know anything about the topic, which is why they always act like this. The people who do know tend to just add to the discussion or help the person that does. All boards on 4chan should be yellow in order to remove the cancer of blue.
>>
>>55061270
Its in the assets folder (called "cards") the filetype is .cardDB, good luck in opening and editing these (I'm not gonna do the research)
You know why the developer didn't just use pngs? So that imbecile, ignorant faggots like you don't fuck about their hard work... You realize this game used a 3d engine? How can you be so incredibly stupid, lazy and ignorant, that you don't find the folder "cards" when it's a card game?
Fuck you
>>
>>55061528
I already told you I did, you dumb shit. The game has to pull images FROM somewhere. So where are the images coming from?
>>
>>55061528
Also

>You know why the developer didn't just use pngs? So that imbecile, ignorant faggots like you don't fuck about their hard work
>You're not allowed to mod a game because it hurts the dev's feefees
Holy shit gargle with buckshot.
>>
>>55061597
That folder. It's just a different file type. I don't know what it does exactly. Maybe it's something that unity engine does by default, maybe the developer did something completely custom, maybe he just zipped and renamed the images, maybe it's a file format like dds. You probably won't be able to open these with your phone anyway. Copy them to a pc and try stuff. Do the work yourself you lazy cunt
>>
>>55061750
>Do the work yourself you lazy cunt
Where on Earth does this entitled fucking mentality come from? I hope you savages never become parents.

>Daddy, why is the sky blue?
>Go look it up you lazy ass!
>But I can't read!
>Go learn how you lazy ass!
>>
>>55061528
the fact that the faggot asked for help on 4chan is enough to ridicule his intelligence.

if he wants real help go elsewhere where they give a shit. this isnt a tech support team. why cant the mods fucking ban this fuck.
>>
>>55061872
4chan's faster. The salt just adds flavor.
>>
>>55061900
nah. hes just gonna ask more questions and expect to be spoon fed all the material instead of looking this shit up.
>>
>>55061814
Well if my kids treat me like they know better, they sure get that treatment. Fuck you.
>>55061642
Yes many developers want to protect their work. Maybe try to edit the windows shell. Or try modding Battlefield 4. You come here, expecting it's a one click job and get pissed when we tell you it isn't.
>>
>>55062036
I love the way you insult him like crazy, but still give him useful advice
>>
fuck you pajeet make your own game.
>>
>>55061955
I did look it up, you insufferable cunt. Jesus, go get laid already.
>implying kek

>>55062036
>Yes many developers want to protect their work.
From what? Modding? Why would anyone be such an autistmong? If I made a game I sure as hell wouldn't be made that people modded it. Literally who gives a shit? I can't comprehend this mentality. It's nothing more than being an OCD control freak.

>>55062036
>You come here, expecting it's a one click job and get pissed when we tell you it isn't.
It is for many games. Particularly card games that I have and have swapped out art for.

>>55062176
>useful
Which part was "useful advice" in that turbotard rant?
>>
>>55062237
>From what? Modding?
okay sweetcheeks, what about this: you make a successful game, maybe even a paid one, and all the resources are as freely accessible as you'd like them to be. Now some chink or pajeet comes along, takes all your handmade, beautiful game art and puts it in their free, malwareriddled game.
Did it click yet?
>>
>>55062460
So sue the dumbfucks and get their shit taken down. That's what normal, sane people do. And you realize that it wouldn't be the dev's art anyway. MTG has actual professional artists. That could amount to major lawsuits. Fuck I would expect they'd encourage free money.
>>
>>55062532
Since you probably made billions from creating a game, you are definitely the one stating the truth here, you degenerate cuck. Sure it would be nice if every game was moddable to your desire, but what if you upload your apk with the changed images (probably cp). You probably won't put your name in the credits. You changed something, probably made it worse and distributed it. That's not in the interest of the developer, so they try to prohibit it, you naive child molester.
>>
delete the charger folder in your root directory, it blocks access to app files
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.