[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the singularity the greatest event that is predicted to happen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: replicator.jpg (539 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
replicator.jpg
539 KB, 1280x1024
Is the singularity the greatest event that is predicted to happen in our lifetime?
>>
maybe
[spoiler]WACKO[/spoiler]
>>
>>55054480
>our lifetime
ha
>>
>>55054480
Perhaps if it's a weaponized kugelblitz.
>>
>>55054480

The powerful wont let it happen.

An intelligent machine will allocate resources better than markets are able to. It would be the end of our antidiluvian monetary system and power of corporations and fincance.
>>
what about AI as smart as humans?

when is that meant to happen?
>>
>>55054498
Best SG1 episode bar none.
>>
>our lifetime
You misunderstand futurists.
Livechanging technology is always ageoffuturist-10 years away.

Remember when fusion was 20 years away in 1960?
>>
>>55054984
Not in their control
>>
>>55055354
And then everyone got scared of nuclear energy, it ruined decades of work in my country
>>
It may never happen, if anything (God or Alien) is watching us they will definitely intervene before we create anything that could jeopardize the universe. For example, super intelligent self replacing von neumann probes or something like that.
>>
Yes, but usually the best thing to happen in a century isn't predicted in its first 16 years.
>>
>>55055376
No, fusion kept failing as it ate billions of dollars so it ended up being the first thing that governments cut the budgets of.
Fusion is touted as 'clean' energy, so if anything fear of nuclear would have fuelled fusion.
(Ignoring that fusion actually creates radioactive waste, but we're talking marketing)
What killed fusion is that no matter how many billions of dollars you pump into it, you get nothing out.

Except maybe a highly educated workforce of highly skilled technicians, scientists and engineers.
I mean 'muh jobs' is why the military eats billions of dollars, why can't 'muh jobs' be the same reason for sciencey things?
>>
File: h_AI_L.jpg (55 KB, 800x358) Image search: [Google]
h_AI_L.jpg
55 KB, 800x358
>>55055214
it already happened,
>>
>>55054480
Why do people keep reminding me that there will never be another decent Stargate series?
>>
>>55054480
i had a girlfriend growing up and she had this mom who was a NEET/shut-in on her computer 24/7

For me that already is singularity and I often daydream of living that lifestyle depressed but evolved beyond human interaction.
>>
>>55055538
because natural gas and coal are HUGE lobbies and they own washington DC
>>
>>55055538
>Fusion is dead

u wot m8?

https://www.iter.org/construction/construction
>>
no. the earth blowing up from a mega asteroid is.
>>
>>55055320

IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.