[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
internet connection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Capture.png (105 KB, 1695x931) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
105 KB, 1695x931
my internet connection keeps dropping out every couple of seconds or so and its annoying as fuck....can anyone help me out??

i have updated the drivers and im sure its not the router because when i use my laptop its fine.(also i wasnt sure where to post this)
>>
Windows-R opens the Run dialog. Type cmd and hit enter to open the command prompt. At the prompt, type the following:

ping 8.8.8.8 -t

This will continuously ping Google's DNS server. Watch the trip times. Reply to this thread if the times are either highly erratic or the ping intermittently errors out.
>>
yeah it stays around 50-52 for about 5-10 seconds then can jump from anywhere from 700 to 2000...anyway around this? cheers for the help btw
>>
>>55053867
>>55053925
>WiFi
Found your problem. Get a better WAP or run a cable
>>
>>55053925
If it's not too inconvenient, take out your laptop and do the exact same thing while the ping is also running on your desktop. It needs to be simultaneous. Reply back if one or both machines have those time spikes during the simultaneous test.
>>
>>55053867
Are you on wifi? Stop doing that.
>>
>>55053938
i cant run a cable as its a community wifi...also i have no idea what a WAP is :/

>>55053940
and i cant do it for my laptop because i can only have one device connected at a time to the network.
>>
>>55053962
thats literally my only option
>>
>>55053987
Find a way around it. Wifi is utter garbage and you should feel bad for even trying.
>>55053973
>community wifi
Stop being poor.

Options:
>buy a new router
>buy a new wireless nic
>pay for your own goddamn internet
>>
>>55053973
In that case it's both difficult and impractical to figure out if the issue is with the network hardware, since it's not under your control anyway.

You can monitor the connection more closely with a WiFi analyzer program. There's one in the Windows app store if you want to try that. You'll want to keep an eye on the signal strength (dBm) and see if it dips intermittently.

My best guess is that you're not establishing a strong connection on your end. This computer might not be positioned optimally to receive the WiFi signal, or it just might have a shitty antenna/receiver. You can try relocating it or, as someone else suggested, buying a cheap router to serve as a wireless access point (WAP). However I don't know whether you'll be able to get it connected to a community WiFi network.
>>
>>55054010
you clearly dont understand....look up big air on google. i do pay for it at it was working fine at the start of the year. thanks for literally being no help what so ever

>>55054018
thanks for the advice and i might just buy a new adapter. anyway thanks for the help :)
>>
Some Intel cards roam aggressively and try to switch to 5ghz. Disable 5ghz wifi and you should be good
>>
>>55054010
>stop being poor

Wow. This is just the absolute worst thing anyone could say. Do you think I am being poor by my own free fucking will? I am not a rich ass kid. I am working my ass of to get a honest decent living and there you fucking go "Stop being poor".

Don't be a fuckin douche anon. You could be in my position someday as well.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.