[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Disturbing new site scrapes your private Facebook and informs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
And the fact that you don't have a Facebook or Twitter probably automatically disqualifies you from a Job or loan

http://www.cnet.com/news/disturbing-new-site-scrapes-your-private-facebook-and-informs-landlords-employers/

>You may not, however, be reassured by a comment made to The Washington Post by Score Assured's UK-based co-founder, Steve Thornhill: "If you're living a normal life, then, frankly, you have nothing to worry about."
>>
>>55044277
>UK

Why am I not surprised. That place has been 100% fucked for a while now.
>>
>>55044277
>DISTURBING NEW SITE
>that isn't even released yet and there is no proof this works
>>
>>55044277
So a website looks at your profile and collects information that you yourself uploaded publicly for everyone to see and then resells it to someone else.

And you think that this particular website is "disturbing"??

What is disturbing is that these "journalists" believe that this website is disturbing, it shows a lack of logic/critical thinking.
>>
>States across the country are already preparing or enacting legislation to ensure that potential employers have no right to ask for your password to Facebook or other social media. In Washington, for example, it's illegal for an employer to ask for your password.
correct solution. Extend it to landlords, insurance companies, etc. Make the penalty for noncompliance a percentage of revenue.
>>
>>55044277
>And the fact that you don't have a Facebook or Twitter probably automatically disqualifies you from a Job or loan

That would be illegal if that were the case.
>>
All this does is set in stone my resolve to never use Facebook and twatter.
>>
I set up a twitter years ago just to post garbage in the chance that I may ever need one I'll have a long existing backlog of shit. I invite any company to attempt to gleam any data from shit like
>Have some of my fries, Flamingo Repellent! #ThingsToShoutAtPedestrians
or
>Who washes the Washmen?
>>
>>55045443
The fact that it's garbage won't keep the algorithms from outputting a verdict about you.
>>
>>55044310
[This is not legal advice.]

Interestingly, you're wrong in this particular case: my (not advice, lol) understanding is the service he purports his site to offer is probably illegal in the UK - we have stronger rules for this particular exact kind of privacy than the US does.

It mentions asking for people's Facebook passwords and then logging in with them to data-mine their account. That is a clear violation of Facebook's terms of service. It may therefore be a problem under the Computer Misuse Act. It may also be a problem under the good old Data Protection Act, and I can't see the Information Commissioner therefore being happy about it. At all.

If anything, this Thornhill guy would be better served moving out of the UK to the US, which I gather is far more friendly to this sort of creditors-know-everything culture, and where his customers are going to be.

But even then it's still passing legislation against it, and Facebook will still go to full-out war with him if he wants any private information, rather than using the Graph API for public information.

I've talked with their security staff before about this exact issue (an advantage this journo hasn't). Employers asking people for personal Facebook passwords etc is strictly against the FB ToS, they block whole IP ranges for this, and yeah, I reckon they'd probably sue if someone used it for credit checking.

Checking your public social media is one thing. Private, another entirely.
>>
>>55044920
>correct solution

I don't know why you don't think your employer shouldn't know that you like to smoke weed and act like a retard publicly.

You're probably going to do the same thing at work when he's not looking. Maybe you shouldn't be a giant faggot on social media and you wouldn't have anything to worry about.
>>
>>55046702
Good thing this isn't legal advice because you don't know anything about America. Sounds like straight up fraud.
>>
>>55044920
>penal taxation
Fuck

Off
>>
>>55047745

good goy

you have nothing to worry about so why not let employeers/landlord/ect have all you facebook info

you arent hiding anything after all
>>
"No, you can't have my Facebook password, and, frankly, I find it disturbing that you think it's acceptable to ask for it. I'm afraid I no longer wish to work for your company, and I sincerely hope you go bankrupt."

That's how to handle this. Ooh, very fucking disturbing.
>>
>>55044277
>No Facebook account disqualifies you from a job

Literally 1984 tier surveillance grid
>>
Soon we will have a tay 5.0 we can use so we can pretend to have an online presence for people to look at.
Maybe it should just upload cat pictures at a certain interval and "like" what "friends" post at random.
Have someone already made this?
I am sure some twitter is just relaying qoute of the day or fortune without the offensive package.
>>
>>55047844
I am an employer and I've also worked under others.

Employees are generally faggots who try to get away with shit constantly and they absolutely do get away with some things because we can't possibly watch them all the time.

I'm not going to have a heart attack if my faggot employee wastes 10-20 min a day on face book but if he or she has indications in her public life that they're going to be a bigger problem than that, I want to know.

It's just the natural progression. We all decided we have a right to know if someone is a criminal before hiring them. This is just the next logical step.

It's not like they're banging on your door or anything you dumb faggots. You posted it online for anyone on earth to see. All this does is make it easier to find for your employer.

You could always just not be a giant tool and not post stupid shit on Facebook and Twitter. You can still be the huge faggot you are in real life without broadcasting it on the net.
>>
>>55046702
>Legal advice
>4chan

Thanks
>>
>Your potential, say, landlord sends you a request for full access to your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn or even Tinder account.
Would someone seriously not just laugh in the face of anyone who asked this of you?

Unless I'm going to be paid at least 1 million dollars per year with 20 hour work weeks I would laugh and walk away.
>>
>>55044879
It's not public. Only your friends can see your posts.
>>
>>55047834
>>penal taxation
Not a tax. You avoid it if you don't try to violate your employees' privacy.

>>55047745
If I'm sober at work, that's all he needs to know about whether or not I use drugs. Should he get to know what political parties I support? Where I go and who I choose to associate with on my days off? I don't see why.
>>
>>55048024
That's just the cost of doing business, why should we have to enable you to do your job? How about, instead of demanding a glimpse into people's personal lives, you actually pay attention to people's mannerisms during interviews? Fuck yourself you lazy shit
>>
>>55048100
I do. How would you like to be Nintendo and not know that one of your employees is a prostitute who advocates having sex with minors and is selling your games to people's children?

How about Disney and one of your employees is a member of NAMBLA?

Maybe you've never been in charge of something before but information is essential to making sure you have the right people in the right places to make everything work the way it needs to for the business to run right.
>>
>>55048024
>You could always just not be a giant tool and not post stupid shit on Facebook and Twitter. You can still be the huge faggot you are in real life without broadcasting it on the net.
You're wrong faggot. Asking for FULL ACCESS to someone's PRIVATE account on any service is unacceptable.

If you are hiring an employee and they have their social media set to private/friends only or whatever and you want to see their public profile without the privacy restrictions in place that would be fine. Requesting full access so you can read their sexts to their gf or messages to family is just fucking stupid and you should be jailed for doing so.
>>
>>55048149
>abloo bloo bloo
>I should be able to be a total faggot publicly online but you shouldn't be able to use that against me!!!
>How about you do your job and play FBI trying to catch me so I can do whatever I want?

How about you keep personal shit off of public places if you don't want it known faggot? I'm going to find your facebook and twitter one way or another and when I do, I'm going to fire you for some other bullshit reason. You can't stop it and this will win in the end because anyone with half a brain understands that once information goes public, you have no right to try and protect it anymore.

We're not talking about medical and psychological records here. We're talking about you being a dumb ass and voluntarily sharing information online. The law provides no protection for that kind of information.
>>
>>55048165
>one of your employees is a member of NAMBLA?
But I *like* Marlon Brando!
>>
>>55048100
>Not a tax.
Yes, it is. People who support giving the government money as punishment need to kill themselves.
>>
>>55044277
>a job or loan

considering i have both you are wrong
>>
>>55044277
luckily in civilized countries that is against the law
>>
>>55048100
People who do drugs are more likely to get into accidents at work, steal things, and be involved in other drama (like not showing up to work because they got arrested), even if they show up sober every day. That is why liability insurance companies offer quite a discount if businesses drug test their employees.
>>
File: snip_snap_doggo.jpg (26 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
snip_snap_doggo.jpg
26 KB, 275x183
I have no social media accounts unless you count a small YouTube channel. It's also purely educational and doesn't contain any personal views or opinions. I save that for my 4chan shitposts.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.