[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a modern alternative to Vim? Something that functions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: Vimlogo.svg.png (50 KB, 605x606) Image search: [Google]
Vimlogo.svg.png
50 KB, 605x606
Is there a modern alternative to Vim? Something that functions similarly to it, but can do things like code completion?
>>
Vim
https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe
>>
SpaceMacs. eMacs but with Vim mode.
>>
>>55021251
>but can do things like code completion?
Just use a plug-in for fuck's sake.
>>
neovim with deoplete
>>
emacs + evil mode. emacs package ecosystem is much nicer than vims
>>
>>55021306
The only right answer
>>
>>55021251
>modal editing
>modern
>>
>>55021374
>emacs package ecosystem is much nicer than vims
>ad hoc stallmanite lisp code is much nicer than neatly structured python scripts
>>
i tried spacemacs, but vim + tmux stays my daily driver. my main reason for even attempting emacs was the debugging support. lucky i found ConqueGDB and never looked back since then.

best environment for me is this:
start/load a tmux session with lynx for the occasional google, a terminal to run/compile stuff and vim (can't live without autoreaload + nerdtree + ycm). after learning all the key inputs it just feels so.. natural.
after you have set up a comfortable vimrc you just run the ocassional vundle update and your good. if someone shows you something shiny you wanna try you are almost certainly gonna find a plugin that does it an vim. but most of the time these things loose their value because there are just not that many things that you need to code. vim is really the best tool for the job (might give neovim a try though one day). as far as i'm aware of emacs can replaces all of this (tmux, plugins vim, etc.), which is a commitment i'm not comfortable to make, the recommended way to use it. you can also just use it as an editor and just replace vim in the tmux setup but im told it really wasn't made for this and thats where the resource-hog concern come from also for most people it doesn't seem to fit there.

thoughts?
>>
sublime
>>
>>55023587

+1

But its also specific to what langauge you code in.
>>
>>55021251
Vim, with plugins. Everybody uses plugins in Vim, you need to personalize it to better suit your needs
>>
i prefer gentoo, does not have code completion tho
>>
>>55021374
lisp shits on vim script
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.