[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Streaming to TV
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 22-1_chromecast2.jpg (16 KB, 500x312) Image search: [Google]
22-1_chromecast2.jpg
16 KB, 500x312
Should I get a cheap miracast or a chromecast 2nd edition?

Using a laptop with win10 and android 5.1 smartphone
>>
Help
>>
Never heard of miracast. I have three chromecast 2nd gen's in my house and they all work fine. You have an android phone also so why wouldn't you want something made for the ecosystem?
>>
>>55013837
Miracast is a cheaper alternative (about 1/4th) sold mainly on sites like aliexpress. I'm thinking of picking up the chromecast next week because it seems user friendly and fast. Just wanted to know if anyone tried both alternatives.
>>
Just go Chromecast.
It's well supported, easy enough to use, and has always been reliable.
I own one, parents own two, GF has one - never had issues with any of them.
>>
>>55013887
If it's a quarter of the cost of a chromecast, which is already cheap, i'd be wary of it's quality.
>>
Does the chromecast need any Google services? I'll be using it in China later. If I have the chromecast app installed will it be fine without vpn?
>>
>>55013983
If you have everything already installed and set up, it should be fine.
It just streams locally from your PC through your router to the Chromecast.
Only issue I can think of is if China blocks parts of YouTube, then you might not have access to them on the Chromecast.
>>
>>55013983
It depends on which app you are using. If you are using youtube, then yes your phone is a remote and the chromecast connects to youtube.

If you are using it to just cast your webpage or desktop from your computer then no.
>>
>>55014024
>>55014030
I'll be using it almost exclusively to stream movies from my laptop. So should be good.
>>
>>55014081
I've had mixed results streaming straight up video files, sometimes the aduio is out of sync or the picture sucks ass. This was with an AC access point 5 feet away.

I had way better luck using a plex service on my computer and then connecting to the app on my phone
>>
>>55014024
Does it stream through the router? I thought it was directly from laptop to dongle.
>>
>>55014121
It's through your router. You won't be able to see it unless it's on the same wireless network
>>
Can confirm, Chromecast especially v2 is very good
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.