[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should have called it Google Nausea.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Google-Cardboard[1].jpg (2 MB, 2730x2400) Image search: [Google]
Google-Cardboard[1].jpg
2 MB, 2730x2400
Should have called it Google Nausea.
>>
Not their problem if you're too sensitive. I use it up to an hour and don't feel a thing.
>>
just dont play the rollercoaster games
>>
>>55006907
I've used Oculus and didn't get any motion sickness at all. Smartphone VR is just always going to be terrible unless there's full head tracking.
>>
>>55006889
I watched a regular video of an fps game on YT yesterday. After about 45 mins, I was feeling really bad. I had to lay down.

I can't imagine what VR googles would do to me.
>>
>>55007497
It could have been related to the FOV. Too high or low can be really uncomfortable for people.

People say that the latest Oculus and the Vive have no nausea issues because of the low latency and decent tracking

Got me thinking about how this could be achieved with a smartphone - couldn't the camera be used for positional tracking? Most smartphone cameras are now capable of very high frame rates, and with a decent machine-vision algorithm, could provide some solid tracking. Might be a bit CPU intensive? Self driving cars are proof it works, although I think they use stereo cameras. Can't see it being impossible with one though.

Alternatively (or additionally) could use 2 or 3 infra-red beacons, most digital cameras can pick up infrared light?
>>
>>55006934
Yeah, Facebook's Rift and the Vive both cost $600+ and require powerful dedicated hardware to render the images. This is because the developers believe that anything less results in poor VR experience.

Does anyone really think that a normal smartphone and a cheap cardboard is enough to produce the same experience and will not just suck?
>>
>>55007876
Let's look at it this way - premium VR headsets use pretty much the same display panels and sensors as smartphones. Ignoring the difference in GPU capability for a moment, the real big difference in the experience is the head tracking. That's really just the missing piece in my opinion. Google cardboard is obviously not going to be that great as the lenses are not going to be very high quality, but there are more sturdily built ones, and things like Gear VR as well. I'm sure someone at some point will build a headset for smartphones that rivals Oculus and Vive in build quality and materials.
>>
>>55006889

Not everybody has the same eyesight. When you get some Chinese plastic cardboard equivalent that allows you to move the lenses, you will find the sweet spot where your eyes and brain don't suffer. If you feel nausea you are just torturing yourself with a bad setup.
>>
>>55007876
>pay $600 for my locked-in app store proprietary screendoor bullshit!!
>seeing a grid of dots distracting me every 5 seconds is totally not nauseating
>no, a cheap quadhd phone is NOT a better value
Wow, this place is shill central. Just turn off head-tracking and use your mouse.
>>
>>55008197
>premium VR headsets use pretty much the same display panels and sensors as smartphones

if my smartphone came with lighthouses and a 120Hz screen, I must have left them in the box
>>
>>55010534
have you tried it? It really doesn't work as well as you think.

>>55010606
There's not much stopping them from driving those displays at higher refresh rates. And when I'm talking about sensors I mean gyroscopes and accelerometers etc. The lighthouse setup could be part of any headset that you slot your phone into
>>
Gear VR is the only mobile solution that doesn't induce nausea.

Buy one today!
>>
I know it's $10 but they could have included a fucking headband for the expense of $0.10
>>
I would have called it "Google Retarded"
>>
>>55010702
This

I had to buy it separate and wait like a week
>>
Should have called it "Blind by the time your 50"
>>
>>55010663
Yeah, I have it set up now on an LG G3. You need a good connection, though.

Pros:
Beautiful image with no screendoor.
No nausea from headtracking.

I know it's pseudoVR for now, but that's fine by me. It's basically like Nvidia 3D Vision with a huge screen and great depth. VR games are nothing but proprietary shovelware ATM anyway.

I'm looking forward to Razer's OSVR and other open solutions. There's no way I'm going to use anything with app store lock-in that encourages "console on PC" syndrome. Fuck that.
>>
>>55010820
What software are you using for this?
>>
>>55012410
Moonlight for streaming to phone and Tridef for side-by-side output
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.