[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just decided to go back to Windows after trying arch for a month.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 42
File: windows-7.jpg (48 KB, 728x400) Image search: [Google]
windows-7.jpg
48 KB, 728x400
Just decided to go back to Windows after trying arch for a month. Its great everything just twerks. No terminal busywork. It really feels like an os meant for desktop use where linux feels like a server os hacked for desktop use.

Dont get me wrong i like linux as a special purpose os but a daily driver it twas never meant to be.
>>
>>54958130
>but a daily driver it twas never meant to be.
It was exactly what the original Linux was meant to be. Torvalds wrote the kernel to use it every day on his personal computer.
>>
>>54958130
>for a month.
cute
>>
File: A1CEE0E3.jpg (72 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
A1CEE0E3.jpg
72 KB, 1920x1080
>>54958130
Great blogpost, would subscribe.
>>
>>54958150
yes and even Linus is disappointed in its desktop usability.
>>
>>54958130
linux isn't for normies. get over it.
>>
>>54958150
Why does it feel like i just upgraded to a ferrari from a ford then?
>>
>>54958218
Baby Duck Syndrome
Stockholm Syndrome
>>
FUCK IT

i'm tired of all the teasing by open sores for being a winbaby

I'm installing Funtoo
>>
Guys. Does my windows 7 key get revoked if I upgrade to Windows 10?
>>
>>54958155
you cared enough to reply
>>
>>54958294
yes
>>
>>54958130
>trying Linux for a month
>Arch

You were really setting yourself up for failure from the beginning. On my Ubuntu install, everything works out of the box and is readily setup in 20 minutes, plus another hour to download the software I use for my work/school. In comparison, Win7 takes at least 4+ hours including downloading updates, installing drivers and software.
>>
>>54958355
>not using an image with updates installed
why do people fucking do this
>>
File: tip.jpg (73 KB, 469x463) Image search: [Google]
tip.jpg
73 KB, 469x463
>>54958130
>it twas never meant to be
>twas

m'lady
>>
>>54958355

I liked arch but it does slowly eat up your time by constantly needing terminal stuff done.

Also a lot of software i have been using for years just dont work in arch. Like vlc it wouldnt even start.

Also no decent photo editing software. Gimp is a turd. I could pirate ps3 or even an older ps version and it would still have more features than gimp. Lol i guess thats why its called gimp...
>>
>>54958416
>Like vlc it wouldnt even start.
wew lad
>>
B O T N E T
O
T
N
E
T
>>
>>54958130
It just means you didn't customize your Arch enough. And I don't mean ricing, I mean actually customize the workflow.

I use Arch and Win10 now side-by-side, switching PCs using a USB hub for KB/M and just switching the input on my monitor.

I go to Win10 for playing games, but I don't ever feel like sticking around. I always end up wanting to go back to my Arch after I'm done playing my game.

My Arch is also a lot weaker hardware-wise, but runs everyday operations much smoother, and it doesn't even have an SSD unlike the Win10 machine, which is a relatively fresh install (~2 months, Arch is 6 months now).

I spent a few weeks customizing my Arch, setting up configs the way I wanted it to be - and now I have everything ready just the way I like it, even when reinstalling.
>>
File: 1435487921445.jpg (96 KB, 792x558) Image search: [Google]
1435487921445.jpg
96 KB, 792x558
>maybe I should give linux a go
>look up program I frequently use on Wine's app directory
>it doesn't even fucking exist
Linux is truly a meme.
>>
>>54958453
Wew lad is not a valid response.
>>
>>54958522
Theres also other stuff, like not having to type "pacman -Syu" everyday, it feels nice that my system is doing it for me in the background, less work for me to do.
>>
>>54958612
Ubuntu has unattended upgrades, unlike Arch.
>>
>>54958612
You probably update blindly anyway, so you might as well make it a cron job to run automatically every day.
>>
>>54958416
How? Just how?

You must have failed spectacularly at some point during installing if you can fuck of VLC.
>>
>>54958294
No. You can even downgrade back to windows 7 if you want.
>>
>>54958550
basically if you don't adhere to our repository of meme packages you're welcome to dependency hell
>>
File: Screenshot_20160411_232827.png (375 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160411_232827.png
375 KB, 1366x768
>>54958612
You don't know what you are talking about.

I hate how this place has become clueless shitposters
>>
>>54958546
>blame Linux for a software's shortcomings
>>
>>54958349
I made the mistake of upgrading and I'm using Debian now. Is it impossible to get a new key for Windows 7 if I wanted to use 7 again?
>>
>>54958628
All i know is it would not start the UI.

If you check the Arch forums you will see this is still a common problem with no solutions.
>>
>>54958659
I don't know about the issues, but there is one thing that remains true.

>using VLC
>>
>>54958648
>people should give up on quality software for linux
kys lintard.
>>
The windows UI seems snappier than linux as well, I guess because it's built into the kernel rather than "served" to the kernel like some afterthought lol, It's like Linus was making Linux and one day he realized he forgot to make a UI for it...
>>
>>54958694
Most of the time you don't have to because alternatives and wine.

Pretty much the only software I use windows for are games.
>>
>>54958694
Linux has plenty of quality software, just because it doesn't have your special snowflake software doesn't mean the rest sucks
>>
>>54958722
Except 90% of the crap I see when I looked at wine's website were games. Gamers are truly the cancer of everything.
>>
File: 1462753917118.jpg (51 KB, 294x294) Image search: [Google]
1462753917118.jpg
51 KB, 294x294
>>54958723
>Linux has plenty of quality software
>>
>>54958722
>wine
Wine can't make my Audio related shit work.
Almost all shit working in Wine are old as fuck versions of some tools I use and gaymen.
>>
>>54958707
I feel it's the total opposite. Explorer lags, stutters and hangs more frequently than a crippled pensioner with cerebral palsy for me.

What DE did you use?
>>
>>54958649
yes
>>
>>54958749
Excellent memes my friend
>>
>>54958764
Thanks I learned from you.
>>
>>54958416
wew lad
>>
>>54958755
Explorer never lags for me, Everything in windows is snappy snap snappy, Xorg can't compete with a UI at kernel level.

Maybe wayland might change things but the year of the wayland desktop is starting to look like the year of the linux desktop lol.
>>
>>54958793
That getting really old and gay, And also it's been said before in this thread.

the admins should make a filter that turns "Wew lad" into "i have no argument"
>>
>>54958808
Hello, Microsoft bot. How much are they paying you?
>>
>>54958808
>Explorer never lags
BULLCRAP
>>
>>54958808
Well. I disagree . So far Xorg and Xfce have been way more snappy and reliable to me than Explorer ever has.

Hell, just today explorer pretty much froze completely for the better part of a minute when I unpacked a zip file.
>>
File: yoba.png (46 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
yoba.png
46 KB, 300x300
>>54958820
>mom there are trolls in the internet, mom
>>
>>54958416
>I liked arch but it does slowly eat up your time by constantly needing terminal stuff done.
Such as?
>>
>>54958826
>>54958833
found the two people using old computers.
>>
>>54958416
wine, virtual machine, DUAL BOOT or go back to windows and shut up
>>
>>54958844
So. You admit Explorer is worse than Xorg then?
>>
>>54958647
#Rekt
>>
>>54958841
it's just getting old.

It's like when a child hears a new word for the first time and keeps repeating it over and over and over again.
>>
>>54958856
I guess it is worse when your computer was only made to run windows 98...
>>
>>54958844
>Having to use a computer from 2016 to run explorer

My 2015 laptop says hi. Fucking manchild
>>
>>54958218
You have a bug in your brain implanted by years of using Windows probably. Enjoyment of software is highly subjective, which is why nobody takes reviews seriously and everyone uses benchmarks instead. Windows is a failure compared to Linux, windows babbys are highly emotional and have no idea wtf they're doing when they use a computer.
>>
>>54958873
Glad we agree that Explorer is kinda shit.
>>
>>54958808
>Explorer never lags
Ahahaha, I'm sure bud that it nev- (Windows Explorer has stopped responding)
>>
>>54958649
Google windows 7 keys.

Click the first link.
There will be a list. Just select what version you have and paste it in.

I do that everytime I install 7.
>>
>>54958878
lol and here come the profanity attacks, Did i strike a nerve with you? You sound like you are pretty upset with my choice of operating system.
>>
File: yoba2.jpg (11 KB, 212x212) Image search: [Google]
yoba2.jpg
11 KB, 212x212
>>54958873
>computer was only made to run windows 98
>only made to run windows
Hello again, Microsoft bot.
>>
>>54958907
>i can't into reading comprehension.
>>
>>54958899
>tfw I have to fucking disable Explorer when using certain old software because the colors will fuck up

Thanks Microsoft.
>>
>>54958915
>>i can't into reading comprehension.
Well you should try to learn it.
>>
>>54958919
maybe stop using old software...
>>
>>54958904
Offended?
Sue me.
>>
>>54958925
Maybe MS should work on their OS a bit instead of just slapping a bunch of spyware in it and call it a day...
>>
>>54958925
This is typical Microsoft nazi way. You have to buy new programs and hardware because newer version of Windows doesn't support anything.
>>
>>54958130
nice try you fucking shill
>>
>>54958355
>no skype
How do you even communicate with your friends?
>>
>>54958959
>want to play some old games because nostalgia
>pretty much impossible to get working on modern Windows
>get wine
>install, run it, works perfectly

You know you've fucked up when Linux has better backwards compatibility for old windows programs than windows does.

>>54958976
There is Skype for Linux. Pretty sure it works with Wine too if you want the modern bloated ad-filled one as well.

Also, everyone I know switched to Discord.
>>
>>54958853
Thats what he fucking did you utter moron, judging by the fact he referenced liking arch in the past tense
>>
And what is up with the linux package paradigm? Who thought it would be a good idea to break the software up into pieces and then have to deal with other software using pieces of other software that depend on a piece used by another software?

Even ubuntu is trying to fix that shit now with snap. The linux world wants a binary .exe to install and use but it can't have it lol.
>>
>>54958998
Doesnt work out of the box, you need some special audio file. Just like everything in linux
>>
>>54959001
it's past tense because i wiped the drive and installed windows 7.
>>
File: fucking mircocuck pant.png (518 KB, 2390x768) Image search: [Google]
fucking mircocuck pant.png
518 KB, 2390x768
>>54958130
you must have a magic meme install then, because i fucking hate windows with a passion. and im stuck on this shit operating system.

you cant even screenshot on windows without using some third party app, or opening microcuck paint and pasting it, then saving it.

osx has three ways to screenshot, each are one keybind away from either a full shot, a specific window, or a specific area.

on linux you can screenshot with one terminal command, or a keybind. but not on fucking windows. the only reason i havent moved to linux is because i have too much software to move, and osu doesnt work well with wine. fuck.
>>
File: .jpg (51 KB, 436x600) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
51 KB, 436x600
>>54959004
At least try a bit anon. This is getting depressing.
>>
>>54959012
>Just like everything in linux
Right, because you have used Linux enough to make that claim
>>
>>54959016
>i have no argument
>>
>>54959012
>install Arch, a enthusiast distro aimed at personal configuration
>surprised when he has to spend extra effort configuring things

You aren't very bright are you?
>>
>>54959028
Yes, same thing with spotify
>>
>>54959040
Neither do you by the look of things.
>>
>>54959046
Ehh i was talking about Mint, i dont have time to waste on playinh with Arch
>>
>>54959015
not to mention that a new windows install takes over 4 hours to work. installing Windows, rebooting, setting up, then installing drivers, then rebooting to make the drivers work, then installing antivirus, then installing programs, then restarting to make sure the programs install successfully, then performing updates (if you skipped that earlier).

i did a ubuntu install for dualboot, read the wiki, and was on my way in less than an hour. Everything. Fucking. Worked. i didnt have to restart services every god dammed time something stopped either, or worry about getting the windows 10 cock shoved down my throat.
>>
>>54959061
Then you did something seriously strange because Skype is just install and run on Mint.
>>
>>54959012
You mean a driver? You'd need that with any OS that didn't pack in your obscure sound card's driver.

Alsa is in a base install, I think.
>>
Just decided to go back to Debian after trying windows 10 for a month. Its great everything just twerks. No cumbersome busywork. It really feels like an os meant for desktop use where linux feels like a tablet os hacked for desktop use.

Dont get me wrong i like windows as a muh gaems os but a daily driver it WAS YOU GIANT HOMO never meant to be.
>>
>>54959065
The first time I installed Ubuntu I was fucking amazed at how smooth and easy it was.

>you can browse the internet WHILE installing a fucking OS

It blew my mind at the time. Now installing Windows just feels really backwards.
>>
>>54959015

I can take a screenshot in Windows 7 and paste it to the Desktop in 3 seconds, I don't know what your fucking problem is other than you love to see yourself whining on 4chan, probably.

>Windows+PrintScreen
>Windows+G (I made a custom shortcut to Paint)
>Control+V / Control+S / Alt+F4
>done
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all
>>
>>54959072
>>54959079
Why should i waste time on shit like that when Windows just werks?
>>
>>54959096
winkey prtscreen doesnt do anything, i looked for a new file, nothing
control s is save
control v is paste
altf4 is close program, ive used this os for 6 years im not stupid.

iu suppose you want me to make a custom shortcut, then do three more keypresses to save it? other O/Ss let you do one keybind and its saved, timestamped, and ready to go.
>>
>>54959099
Why waste your time on a computer when the library and park is free?
>>
>>54959084
It's funny because to me it's the opposite. Whenever I boot into Linux it just feels so simple and easy. Like to do stuff on Windows you have to mess around and go through hoops while on something like Ubuntu it's pretty much simpler than using a smartphone.

>want to install a program
>google it
>have to find the developers website hidden between all the download sites who bundle a bunch of malware in the installer
>scurry through some shitty site to try and find the download button
>download, takes fucking forever since they have ancient servers or some shady mirrors
>install, remember to disable all the toolbars and chrome
>start program
>doesn't work,
>need to spend 10 minutes installing Net Framework or some shit like that

>meanwhile on Linux
>open Software Installer/Terminal
>get package
>it installs it and all it's requirements with no fuzz and just werks
>>
>>54959096
What are MS even doing? It's like all they do when a new Windows rolls around is make the UI a bit worse and add some new default programs people will have to uninstall and replace.
>>
>>54959217
The underlying structure is already perfect.
>>
>>54958647
wtf is that
>>
>>54959249
It clearly isn't because they can't even get a fucking decent print screen feature working.'

Windows have been stagnating for the better part of a decade, and instead of dealing with issues and features that should have been implemented years ago they seem more interested in making sure their UI looks like it was made by a 18 year old programmer and adding spy features.
>>
>daily driver

Can you faggots stop with this shit you are not a journalist this is not amature journalism hour cease this faggotry
>>
>>54958546
>.jpg
>>
>>54958416
>VLC doesn't work on Arch
toppest of keks
>>
Win7 SP1 64bit is the last good Winblows OS

Win10 is nothing but botnet and spyware
>>
>>54959198
>le malware meme
I couldn't uncheck the button that wasnts me to install the ask toolbar

>download software on linux
>you're missing 800 dependencies
>couldn't be resolved
>chown all the things because linux has to have bs file permissions on everything
>great now i have a driver that only crashes my system 50% of the time
>>
>>54958860
Yeah, but the guy said that VLC doesn't work on Linux. What the fuck else would you say to that?
>>
>>54959346
>I couldn't uncheck the button that wasnts me to install the ask toolbar
Is this an anecdote or did you try to greentext it?

Either way you are just kinda showing how much of a hassle it can be.

Linux might not always the best. I use Windows most of the time myself, but the way you install programs is so infinitely easier and simpler than it is in Windows. It's night and day.

>great now i have a driver that only crashes my system 50% of the time
The big difference being that my thing actually happened.
>>
>>54958880
>you grown to be a windoze babby and not a loonix babby, that makes you worse because i say so
>>
File: you_aint_bout_it.jpg (14 KB, 300x288) Image search: [Google]
you_aint_bout_it.jpg
14 KB, 300x288
>>54958130
>twas
>tis a good thing, what to hold yonder door for such a lady as thee!
>might thine take notice of my recent haberdashery acquisition? twas but only a few coppers, and truly the height of fashion!
>le tips headwear

What in the literal actual fuck is wrong with you? I have questions, and I hope you have answers.

Why do you talk using this weird pseudo-Shakespearean babble? Is this just something you do online? Is it only for people you think are women? Do you speak like this in real life, too? What do people around you think when you do it? Are you socially adjusted enough to rationally answer that last question?
>>
>>54959397
>The big difference being that my thing actually happened.
then you must be some kind of ascended retard

like, how the fuck do you get so lost when trying to install /anything/ on Windows

what exact software did you try to install that ended up with this retarded farce you shat out
>>
>>54959527
I'm not saying it's this hard with every program, this just happened to be the one where all the annoying shit about installing programs on windows combined into one thing.

And it's not like it was hard or I "got lost". It just that there is so much faffing about for something so simple.

Think it was some CBR reader. It had a really generic name like CBR Reader or Viewer or something like that I think.
>>
>>54959618
should've gotten SumatraPDF

oh but wait, you would actually have to know that

unlike a package manager on POONIX IN LOONIX where it reads your mind and you don't even have to actually type anything, right?
>>
>>54959807
I wanted something more comic centered and something that could read archive files.

For standard PDF's I just use my browser

>unlike a package manager on POONIX IN LOONIX where it reads your mind and you don't even have to actually type anything, right?
You okay there mate?
>>
>>54959858
>You okay there mate?
WIncuck on PTSD
>>
File: EFFECTIVE EVANGELISM.jpg (154 KB, 957x717) Image search: [Google]
EFFECTIVE EVANGELISM.jpg
154 KB, 957x717
>>54958130
EFFECTIVE EVANGELISM
>>
>>54959807
>POONIX IN LOONIX
youtried.jpg
>>
File: Spectacle.TJ1428.png (216 KB, 930x509) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.TJ1428.png
216 KB, 930x509
>>54959348
>Yeah, but the guy said that VLC doesn't work on Linux. What the fuck else would you say to that?
The claim is false.
>>
>>54959858
CBR/CBZ *are* literally archive files
>>
File: Debian Cinnamon.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Debian Cinnamon.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>54958130
Debian is like Windows to me.
>>
>>54958808
5 rupees have been deposited into your account Pajeet. Great shilling.
>>
File: btfo-2016-06-08_01.07.18.webm (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
btfo-2016-06-08_01.07.18.webm
1 MB, 1366x768
>>54958416
>>>54958550
>>54959330
Wow who told winchildren to installl Arch?
>>
>>54959262
A graphical package manager you fucking retard
>>
>>54960015
Fair enough, but I meant zip files.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160607_101946.png (487 KB, 1366x734) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160607_101946.png
487 KB, 1366x734
>>54958416
>Also no decent photo editing software. Gimp is a turd. I could pirate ps3 or even an older ps version and it would still have more features than gimp. Lol i guess thats why its called gimp...
If you say so...
>>
File: Muhh_photoshop.png (136 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Muhh_photoshop.png
136 KB, 1366x768
>>54960264
>If you say so
>>
File: windows10-baby.jpg (23 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
windows10-baby.jpg
23 KB, 600x360
>>54959421
>Linux isn't technically and morally superior to my NSA box.
Enjoy life in the crib.
>>
File: 1405422741108.jpg (673 KB, 2048x1368) Image search: [Google]
1405422741108.jpg
673 KB, 2048x1368
>>54958155
Under rated post
>>
File: Screenshot_20160607_102943.png (491 KB, 1366x734) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160607_102943.png
491 KB, 1366x734
>>54960272
I was going to post that too, thanks

Also there's krita and even if it's mainly for painting it has decent image manipulation tools.
>>
>>54960324
Also as >>54960272 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw
>>
>>54960080
How is using cinnamon outside mint? Last time I tried was a chaotic mess. All themes broken, etc.
>>
>>54959262
There's multiple GUI tools for package management on linux.
>>
>>54960389
Cinnamon was not popular back then, you only need your favourite theme

Normally I hate gtk. But I think themes are not an issue.

Breeze theme is the best
>>
>>54958550
>>54958820
>Pretending VLC doesn't start on Arch
WEW LAD
>>
File: sZnKPIJ.png (16 KB, 98x100) Image search: [Google]
sZnKPIJ.png
16 KB, 98x100
>>54958821
>Microsoft made an AI to shill on 4chan.
>it started being racist and no-one noticed.
>>
>>54958130
>comparing windows to arch
Comparing windows with mint, ubuntu, or fedora would make some sense, but arch ? all you got after installing it is a fucking terminal.
>>
>>54958130
Funny cuz I just went back to Arch after looking at windows 10 for 5 seconds.
>>
>>54961596
what about arch vs ms-dos
>>
>>54958976
It's literally in the Ubuntu repositories
>>
>>54959084
>linux feels like a tablet os hacked for desktop use.
Would have been a great argument had he not been autistic.
>>
>>54963800
Depreciated.
>>
>>54958998
>Discord
wut ist dat
>>
>>54958976
https://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-linux/

ubuntu 12.04, will work
>>
>>54959198
>have to find the developers website hidden between all the download sites who bundle a bunch of malware in the installer
it is the first one you stupid
>>
>>54958130
kill yourself
>>
I went to using windows after a few years of linux
I had to do anything like a retard through a gui because no terminal
>>
>>54958612
no one tells you to do it everyday
though if you let it sonetime then you will have to pay attention on what you're installing
also just use a cron job for all besides core system packages if you're bored to do it
>>
>>54965136
Installing cygwin / mingw / git bash + Console2 is the first thing I do when forced to use windows.
>>
>>54958707
Linus made a kernel. GNU provided the userspace tools. Xorg provided the windows server that is the UI. The UI wasn't Linus job.
>>
>>54958976
Face to face?
>>
>>54965236
I'm just using babun.github.io which is a preconfigured Cygwin package
>>
>>54958244
Post a thread
>>
>>54958130
did you go to windows 7? good luck trying to update it.
>>
>>54959096
>>54959157
>>54959015
Snipping tool
>>
>>54959198
Exaggeration of the century.
>Google
>download
>install, don't be 6 years old and check for coolâ„¢ toolbars
>Works

nice meemees mi amigo
>>
>>54959061
Skype worked out of the box on Mint when I used it.
>>
>>54960080
R E K T
>>
File: SS_2016-06-07_43.png (277 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SS_2016-06-07_43.png
277 KB, 1920x1080
>>54959096
>>54959157
>>54959015
>>54965559
Prints to desktop by pressing printscreen.
>>
>>54961596
>>
4 rupees have been deposited to your account
>>
File: meal.jpg (163 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
meal.jpg
163 KB, 650x366
>>54959099
> Why should I bother making my own delicious healthy meals when it just werks
>>
File: Soylent_drink.jpg (312 KB, 816x612) Image search: [Google]
Soylent_drink.jpg
312 KB, 816x612
> fuck food
> it just werks.
>>
File: 2016-06-07.png (1013 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-07.png
1013 KB, 1440x900
>>54959015
print screen works fine on win 10.

maybe if you weren't such a Linux nigger you would know that.
>>
>>54959015
>I don't know what Snipping Tool is.
>>
guys what food is the best price/performance
>>
>12 hours later
>/g/ still angry and posting about some guy who decided to use a different OS
>>
>>54967000
Trips of truth, but godamn it the ice cream and fries are delicious.

I'm not one to ever get fast food burgers, only tendies.
>>
That's because you were using the hobbyist Arch instead of the desktop Ubuntu or Fedora....
>>
>>54967093
its the people that make soylent good.
>>
>>54958130
>Installs piece of shit distro aimed at getting autists to rice it for years because they have nothing better to do
>Complains about how inconvenient things are
No shit. Plus, if you wanted an out of the box system, why did you try out Arch instead of one of the many out of the box distros? That's like buying components for your computer then blaming Nvidia because you need to assemble it.
>>
>>54958130
I use windows in a virtual machine in linux. No searching intel drivers after install. Windows doesn't have access to my file system and if anything gets too weird I can just delete the fucker and start over. Also I can shitpost on linux while windows is installing 'updates'. I can also look up my bus schedule without having to wait for windows to stop 'updating'. I no longer feel fucked with when I use windows. Windows belongs in a sandbox. Thank you. I am done.
>>
>>54968997
Win10 installed all my drivers automatically.
>>
>>54966409
That doesn't negate the argument though. Yes, arch is fully functional after the installation but it's not directed to the same kind of people.
>>
>>54965240
Bill gates made the windows kernel and the ui and the userspace tools. But i guess Linus is special...
>>
>>54969380
Steve Jobs made the UI and Gates just copied him.
>>
>>54968072
were not discussing his decision of using windows but the claims he makes about linux which has been proven to be false, nice try though.
>>
File: hospital_2473904b.jpg (62 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
hospital_2473904b.jpg
62 KB, 620x387
> fuck even doing anything
> life support
> it just werks
>>
File: poo_bag.jpg (423 KB, 1165x1425) Image search: [Google]
poo_bag.jpg
423 KB, 1165x1425
> fuck shitting
> fuck wiping
> just werks
>>
>>54958218
because you've never driven a ferrari.
>>
>>54969428
>responding to a nearly 2 hour old post
Let it go, dude. He's gone. You're only proving him right.
>>
>>54968095
>tendies

neet detection
>>
>>54969524
NEET here, most NEETs don't call them tendies. That's a black thing.
>>
>>54969540
NEET here, wrong.
>>
>>54968095

also, fries are shit. never hot, took out beef flavoring, 1/3 that sift to the bottom are basically chips. it's always a lottery even when monopoly is off season.
>>
>>54969540
>black thing
cuck detected
>>
>>54969523
keep trying
>>
>>54969547
Why would you bother copying niggerspeak when you're a NEET already? Who are you trying to impress?
>>
>>54959458
literally nobody else in the thread cares
You're the one who needs to be socially adjusted to not get this butthurt over literally one word
>>
>>54958130
full cancer
>>
>>54971960
Quiet, OP. No need to bump your own thread.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2 MB, 3046x1050) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2 MB, 3046x1050
>>54971960
>>
File: Screenshot_4.jpg (134 KB, 685x649) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_4.jpg
134 KB, 685x649
>>54959955
I just finished a cs elective at my uni, and the professor held some position at microsoft as an evangelist.
I'm retarded, what is this position (pic related)? I don't understand these industry terms, everything he did sounds intangible.
>>
>>54958808
Snappy oO?
One of my friends uses this abomination of an OS. Everyfucking time you open some app it does its "snappy" flip-animation just for you to wait for half an eternity for the program to load.
>>
>>54958155
I care.
>>
I put 10 on an old HP 2740p. I have to admit that it seems to have become more usable since I last tried it. Main PC will stay Linux though
>>
>>54960264
How do I get my gimp to look like this? Is this a theme or some fork?
>>
> Windows just works
This has got to be the biggest meme in computing history.

Don't know about you lads but Windows for myself, my friends and family hasn't "just worked" since fucking windows 98. Ever since XP we've all been riddled with blue screens, driver issues, hardware issues and half the software ever installed has required re-downloading fuckin .net frameworks etc and surfing the web for missing dll files and all sorts of random shit where you waste a whole weekend trying to figure out wtf is wrong with something that either never worked or worked the day before. Don't even get me started on the boot corruptions and having to re-install Windows how many times?

I'm no computer expert but the amount of time I've spent on forums trouble shooting is astronomical and I can't count how many times I've said "fuck I hate computers they never just fucking work".
>>
>>54958130
>rying arch for a month
>FUCKING ARCH
If this isn't bait then I don't know
>>
File: arch logo.png (46 KB, 804x906) Image search: [Google]
arch logo.png
46 KB, 804x906
>Just decided to go back to Windows after trying arch for a month.

You fell for the meme. I lost the image of that guy who wants to try Linux and ends up being convinced to start with Arch.
>>
File: archfag.png (871 KB, 650x4377) Image search: [Google]
archfag.png
871 KB, 650x4377
>>54977239
got you covered senpai
>>
>>54977523
That's the one. Thanks, famalam
>>
>>54958152
careful with that edge, kid
>>
>>54958130
>Just decided to go back to Windows after trying arch for a month. Its great everything's just point and click. I'm not smart enough to know how to control a computer beyond pointing and clicking. It really feels like an os meant for gaming use where linux feels like a supercomputer os only smart people can figure out how to use.

>Dont get me wrong i like Windows as a special purpose gaming os but a daily driver this NEET'll never even need.
>>
>>54959015
god jesus so what just download fucking puush or smth what a huge crybaby out of ALLLL the things wrong with Windows you choose this irrelevant petty one?
>>
>>54958130
I've been using Debian every day for about a decade sunshine. Please stop spreading bullshit just because you didn't like that meme OS.
>>
>>54976321
This. Not to mention that MS seriously shit the bed and made their fucking kernel unstable with W10.
>>
>>54976321
>we've all been riddled with blue screens

I've been using win7 for like 5 years now, not a single blue screen on 2 pcs. I literally don't know what you need to do to get one

We can argue that it's shit OS but blue screens? Cmon
>>
>>54958226
>>54958880
How about you respond actual answers instead of memeing?
>>
>>54979429
Not them, but it's literally just because he used Arch thinking that it's an OOTB distro when it clearly isn't. See >>54968835
>>
Say, any of you having trouble changing default apps after the latest patch?
>>
File: image.jpg (685 KB, 1732x1148) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
685 KB, 1732x1148
>>54958218
Depends on what kind of a ford you've been driving
>>
>>54958130
Try backbox, i like personalized and easy-to-use distros and this is by far the best i've used (and it has great support with drivers which is important to me cuz of my shitty Broadcom drivers)

and you can use it to hack the shit out of something
>>
>>54958130
>"it just werks"

Mentality of Winfags in a nutshell. These idiots are no different than Maccucks at this point in time.
>>
File: 2015-12-31-rotate-flip.jpg (122 KB, 975x596) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-31-rotate-flip.jpg
122 KB, 975x596
>>54975976
Is a theme, you can customize the UI too and there's a lot of plugins for gimp. The new version will come with that kind of icons by default btw.
https://www.gimp.org/news/2015/12/31/2015-report/
>>
File: 109-PI9NLJd.gif (583 KB, 520x446) Image search: [Google]
109-PI9NLJd.gif
583 KB, 520x446
I would use windows, but the font rendering drive me crazy.
>>
>>54958647
which De is that?
>>
>>54982017
It's pretty obviously KDE.
>>
>>54981950

then get mactype, easy
>>
File: desktop.jpg (82 KB, 600x458) Image search: [Google]
desktop.jpg
82 KB, 600x458
>>54958130
next move will be.
>>
File: 050-eY3AXZv.jpg (60 KB, 507x525) Image search: [Google]
050-eY3AXZv.jpg
60 KB, 507x525
>>54982231
Last time i tried it doesn't worked.
>>
File: tumblr_n3jc0gAffa1qb88lqo9_250.gif (660 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n3jc0gAffa1qb88lqo9_250.gif
660 KB, 160x160
>>54958130
>Its great everything just twerks
>where linux feels like a server os hacked for desktop use.
actually more like a destop os hacked for server use hacked for desktop use
I still run it with no problems
you would too if you hadn't fallen for the arch meme
Thread replies: 220
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.