[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/chromebook/ for parents edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: acb14.png (192 KB, 1024x512) Image search: [Google]
acb14.png
192 KB, 1024x512
/g/ my parents are using an ancient ASUS K50-IN from 2009, and I badly want to get them something for light work with Docs, video calling and tons, and TONS of torrenting for movies.

Acer's Chromebook 14 (2016) looks pretty comfy so far - metal body, ~9-10hrs battery, meh 1.6 quad-core Celeron and 4 GB RAM.

Second-hand options aside, what would /g/ recommend for great battery life and the aforementioned use cases?
>>
>tons of torrenting
>32gb internal storage
You better teach them how to torrent to an external drive.
>>
I bought my granddad a chromebase (not book) and he loves it.
But you can seriously not customize anything. Even adding a startup script voids the warranty.
>>
>>54956662
Yeah, luckily they know how to do that, and they're the "download, watch, delete" type of people anyway. Would you recommend anything else than this CB14? Also, postage to Europe would be nice.. :D

>>54956680
Looking for a laptop, though. But thanks for the feedback, anon
>>
>>54956769
>read the sticky
https://geizhals.eu/
>>
File: Screenshot (216).png (782 KB, 3200x1800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (216).png
782 KB, 3200x1800
>>54956808
acer chromebook seems to be the way to go
>>
File: f7hGDlO.gif (489 KB, 344x332) Image search: [Google]
f7hGDlO.gif
489 KB, 344x332
>>54956808
Shit, anon, I'm dumb. Tusind tak.
>>
>>54956855
Holy shit, this image matches so well to the music that was running as I opened it

https://youtu.be/XUUiK60TQmI seek to 3:50
>>
The 14" Acer does look nice.

Something to consider though.. Chromebooks are getting an update to run Android apps so you may want a touchscreen.
>>
File: 1HEr8kZ.gif (498 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1HEr8kZ.gif
498 KB, 500x375
>>54956938
toppest of keks, anon, legit made me laugh out loud

>>54956967
yeah, that'd definitely be a consideration if my parents used Android... but they don't, so a standard thing would be just fine.

>>54956846
anon, I was not aware of geizhals.eu, looks pretty awesome! thanks
>>
>>54956989
Bought my mother an Android 2 in 1 a while back, she got upset that it didn't run Windows so she ends up getting some Acer 2 in 1 atom deal at Costco.

Once she realized none of the games she plays on her phone and tablet work on the Windows machine, she stopped using it.
>>
>>54957062
>not hooking your parents up with Android
>not dealing with this shit

anon, ...this can be such a beautiful world
>>
>>54957155
I think all mothers are neurotic to one degree or another. Android had little to do with it.
>>
>>54957178
Fair point. :) It's just good to not feed the demons if that's an option
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.