[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Home Security Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: Security_Camera.png (125 KB, 1916x1872) Image search: [Google]
Security_Camera.png
125 KB, 1916x1872
In a couple months a friend will be moving into a house that's in a shady party of town, and I need some advice on how to keep it secure for under $500.

I've been playing too much fallout 4 so all that I can think of is to install more turrets.
>>
First step: spend well over $500
>>
Camera systems are cheap, learn how to fish wire.
>>
>>54936672
put your computer in a beige case from the 90s so if anyone breaks in it looks like a worthless piece of junk
>>
>>54936672
We'll if you're good at dev stuff, learn opencv and set up a dedicated raspberry pi to do motion detection around your house and text you pictures of any motion it detects. You can easily set up like 8 on your budget.
>>
>>54936672
buy a bunch of shitty usb webcams.
use a few shitty old laptops, raspis, or whatever to grab the video from the cameras.
Get/make a nas or whatever from an old computer and a bunch of hard drives.
Use opencv to detect motion.
When motion is detected, use a nas or whatever to record the video.

Another good idea is to set up a few "fake" cameras around the property. Cheap, act as a deterrent, and if you do have a real camera system, the fake cameras will protect them.

Other than that, talk to your local security guy for installing good door locks and a good alarm system. Make sure all of your first floor windows are secure and locked all the time you arent in the house.

Most would-be thieves will be detered when they cant open the door/window with a screwdriver and crowbar.
>>
a gun
>>
File: bigfoot_close_up.jpg (13 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
bigfoot_close_up.jpg
13 KB, 600x398
>>54936879
>buy shitty everything
>receive text while at work
>>
Strong doors with reinforced frames and deadbolts. 3M makes a transparent security film you can apply over windows to make them shatter resistant. I recommend frosting ground floor windows as well and keeping curtains permanently drawn over them. Double check the frames and locks on the windows too.

Don't leave shit outside, be it clutter or even decorative landscaping. Keep a motion-activated floodlamp aimed at the ground within 5 feet of all exterior walls with doors and windows. Order super cheap alarms (the kind which go off if the trigger is moved away from the base) for every point of entry. While you're at it, get one or two security system stickers to place at the most likely break-in locations.

If he has a sliding glass door for the backyard/deck/whatever, disable it. Screw a rigid bar straight into the track and make sure there's absolutely no way to wrestle the door off of the tracks. You might even consider screwing through its frame and into the tracks at several points. Fuck his backyard. Sliding doors are absurd liabilities.

All of that should come in shy of $500, especially if he installs it all himself.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.