[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want a silent pc. not quiet, because you fucks have different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 5
File: upset.jpg (7 KB, 256x196) Image search: [Google]
upset.jpg
7 KB, 256x196
I want a silent pc.

not quiet, because you fucks have different definitions of quiet

>it doesn't bother me!
>I can tolerate it!

FUCK that. I want silent.

fucking how? submerged pc? I saw liquid cooling but you still need fans. I want zero noise.
>>
Just use your iphone.
>>
>>54933383
>iPhone
>upset.png

Ur dumb. An iPhone would say image.png
(standing up against dumb people, nor standing up for Apple)
>>
>silent
Practiacally impossible, unless you get some ultra-low power hardware.

Get a passive watercooling radiator, and watercool pretty much everything in your computer.
Get a fanless PSU.
Remove all HDDs and get only SSDs.

You'll pretty much only have the noise of the water pump, but those are typically incredibly quiet.

However, with passive watercooling, your cooling performance isn't going to be super great, you'll have this big-ass radiator outside of your case, and it'll be expensive as fuck.
>>
>>54933417
>You'll pretty much only have the noise of the water pump, but those are typically incredibly quiet.
NOT SILENT ENOUGH
>all modern machines have some amount of coil whine
NOT SILENT ENOUGH
>even the LCD monitors
>>
>>54933435
>>54933312

What you want is impossible. Buy an ipad.
>>
>>54933435
Destroy yur eardrums, so you can't hear anything at all.
>>
Get a passively cooled NUC or some shit.
>>
>>54933312
Totally possible with big ass heatsinks Fuck all these other guys. Look up passive heatsinks for cpus
>>
Lenovo Yoga 900s.

Fanless.
>>
>>54933312
Some ideas:
1. Put your pc somewhere else and route the wires
2. Every fucking pc is gonna have some sound
2a. Not sure if this would work (and I know it would stop airflow) but buy the quietest case you cna find then cover most parts in sound reducing foam?
Just an idea
>>
Rasberry pi stupid
>>
>>54933466
Doesn't Linus Torvalds do that with like thunderbolt and shit?
>>
get a win 10 tablet
acer just released a fanless core-i-u one
enjoy your housefires
>>
>>54933478
the other linus did it
>>
http://www.silentpcreview.com/
check out the forums too
>>
>>54933312
Use a fanless (quiet) thin-client to acces your roaring gaymen PC, hidden in your moms closet. If you need help to set it up you are not worthy of the joy of silence.
>>
You want 0 noise, you realize with no noise after a while you start having hallucinations

Just grab a tablet or enjoy the white noise for fucks sake
>>
Why do you want a silent PC so bad anyway?
>>
is there any delay in, say for example, running a 50 ft USB keyboard / mouse cords?
>>
>>54933459
Enjoy your no games.
>>
>>54933478
>>54933500
https://youtu.be/o8NPllzkFhE?t=1m46s
>>
>>54933547
I love the end where he just casually strolls off the stage.
>>
>>54933547
He didn't really explain what his setup is.
>>
>>54933312
Passive cooling and a modded cpu cooler on your gpu only add storage. Boom silent
>>
>>54933312
Buy a macbook then
>>
Macbook Pro
>>
>>54933312
Passive cooling. Otherwise what you want is impossible.
>>
File: inside the streamer04.jpg (164 KB, 800x488) Image search: [Google]
inside the streamer04.jpg
164 KB, 800x488
Here's your answer.
Buy a nofan-cr95 for your CPU.
Then go and get passive cooled GPU and a fanless PSU.
Throw in an SSD and you have totally silent PC.
>>
>>54933312
Air cooler for cpu + non-reference cooler for gpu + set up a custom fan profile. That's literally it.
>>
>>54935076
Oh and only SSDs. HDDs are loud as fuck.
>>
My computer sounds like a jet engine, if that helps.
>>
Buying quality fans can help
>>
>>54933312
Remove all fans. Or don't. Doesn't matter.

Submerge pc in 50 gal barrel full of mineral oil.

Done
>>
>>54933312
bro its easy as fuck. get a low watt cpu, and a massive heatsink. theres fanless psus. ssd obviously.

anyone saying this isnt doable is dumb
>>
>>54933417
>passive watercooling
it will still have a pump, so shut the fuck up
>>
>>54933435
>>54933312
>build pc as normal
>place case in adjacent room
>run a wire through the wall or otherwise between the rooms
>enjoy silence
>>
>>54935042
Wouldn't that still heat after a while,, under demanding conditions? I mean, you're spreading the heat, but it can't possibly be as efficient as even a stock cooler, right?
>>
>>54933487
>windows
shut the fuck up faggot
>>
Kill yourself, it'll only work then.
>>
All of these posters are retarded.
>Buy noise canceling headphones
>Cut the headphone part off and wire the noise cancelling part into a usb powered speaker
?????
>Profit greatly
I've been using this setup for several months after getting intensely annoyed by my 980ti fan noise. Works fantastically, my pc is whisper quiet for about 40 bucks. I simply wired the active voice cancelling mic into a 3.5mm jack. Plugged it into a shitty usb powered speaker and it worked like a charm. It isn't absolutely silent but I can only hear something if I put my ear up to my desktop. Otherwise my Noctua and 980ti are whisper quiet.
>>
>>54935498
This is actually a pretty smart idea... I don't see why I never thought of this
>>
Put it in another room.
>>
Turn on the TV or the radio to distract the noise.
>>
>>54935460
Any forced airflow is going to be leagues better than purely passive convection, so of course a passive heatsink will perform much worse than one with a fan. That's the price for absolute silence, though.
>>
>>54933312
You'll need a fanless thin client, or a low power ARM or fanless ultrabook, such as the rMBP.
>>
File: 1451428478205.jpg (146 KB, 878x900) Image search: [Google]
1451428478205.jpg
146 KB, 878x900
>>54935632
>fanless ultrabook, such as the rMBP.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2821x4032) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2821x4032
>>54935662
Yea. I love my MacBook anon. That's why I'm Certainly not just mentioning the first ultrabook that doesn't have a fan that popped into my head. Sure am.
>>
Wear earmuffs.
>>
mac mini.
>>
My netbook has solid state memory and no fans. The only parts that move are the power button, screen hinge, keyboard keys and the trackpad clicker. I don't think that much sound can be avoided though; even typing on a solid surface would produce tapping sounds.
>>
>not just putting the tower in a different room
>>
>>54933312
APU
No moving parts basically, so ssd as wells
>>
>>54933312
Get a passively cooled PC case and an APU
>>
>>54937962
>>not just putting the tower in a different room
This. This is the most silent you can get, and it's easy as fuck. Even easier if your house has proper cabling, just run everything every ethernet.
>>
>>54933312
https://www.quietpc.com/casefans

> I want a silent pc.
Noctua redux or noctua ULN.
For 200mm i prefer aerocool but i'm sure there are better alternatives.
>>
yeah other people said it
wires in the walls, pc not in the room

the other side of one wall will silence everything but mechanical hard drives

UNFORTUNATELY, when you get to the point of a completely silent computer, you will realize that LCD displays do actually make noise
>>
>>54933312
>get extra long water tube
>connect the whole fan to another room
>profit???
>>
>>54938029
oh and your mouse makes noise too
go ahead, put it up to your ear

when you realize that the mouse and display make noise, you'll want the white noise of a fan back
>>
Obviously you get an ultrabook with a core m processor
>>
Get a large fully enclosed case made of sound proof material. The extra space is to accommodate what would have to be a tremendous heatsink to passively cool that clusterfuck.
>>
>>54938062
>oh and your mouse makes noise too
>go ahead, put it up to your ear
Only Logitech mice make noise.
>>
>Build normal PC
>put in other room
wow that was hard
>>
>>54933312

Get an iPad for all your casual shit
>>
>>54938148
huh, interesting
yeah this $5 bargain bin optical mouse is silent

do you know what kind of part logitech uses in their mice is the source of this?
>>
if you remove all the mechanical components you'll just end up hearing all the coil whine instead

totally not worth it
>>
>>54938148
Actually, anything with somewhere around 1000hz pull rate on USB makes noise.
>>
>>54938220
>The source of the noise is a ceramic capacitor on the the mini-PCB of all of these mice. The mini-PCB is what holds the left/right/middle buttons, as well as the scroll wheel, in addition to some very basic circuitry.
>A technical description of the problem from the individual who tracked it down:
>The problem isn't terribly uncommon - ceramic caps have an awful lot of good qualities. For a number of applications, properly rated ceramic caps are pretty much the ideal choice. The problem is that if there is enough voltage ripple on a ceramic cap, it will physically "ring" (Google for "ceramic capacitor microphonics"). The real kicker here is that whoever designed this for Logitech decided to pulse the wheel encoder LED at 5KHz, and due to the magic of frequency multiplication, we end up with noise at the 3rd harmonic, 15KHz which is high enough to only enough to drive some small fraction of the general population nuts. ... If Logitech were to change the sampling frequency up by 20% or more, or change the capacitor type, or just stop pulsing the thing and eat the extra couple mW of power dissipation, this issue would go away.
>>
Put the pc in a different room
Use longer cables or route them through the wall
Put it far away enough so u don't hear it
>>
How do i update my qbitorrent?
>>
Words like violence
Break the silence
>>
>>54933312
Completely SILENT is unfeasable if you wanna do anything other than playing solitaire.
Can't find any links but afair all the 'fanless PC' projects found that you need at least a bit of ventilation/airflow. Best bet for a 'silent' PC is a few, low-rpm fans to generate at least a bit of airflow.
>>
>>54933547
Fuck, this was recent? Wasn't he being chased by fat angry feminists? Did they convert him?
>>
Pretty sure op is just underage and his parents are trying to get him stop using the pc at night
>>
>>54933312
get a windows tablet.
/thread
>>
File: firefox_2016-06-06_19-24-59.jpg (145 KB, 1226x680) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-06-06_19-24-59.jpg
145 KB, 1226x680
Do what this overly-pleasant guy did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZoX7glIAS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHoqYBZMc_c
Basically a giant cpu heatsink on the cpu AND gpu, with large fans soft-mounted in cloth to eat all vibrations.
Gpu with cpu cooler test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iegpwo9SqSg

Alternatively, put your pc in another room with the cables going through the wall, which is another thing he did. He made a box with card readers, usb ports, power button and a hdd light etc too. Cool build, and looks pretty easy and cheap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpXOvjavjWc
>>
>>54933312
>I want a silent pc.
Go mineral oil submerged with big ass heatsinks on GPU and CPU, take fans off of them.
Get SSDs only, no mechanical drives
Fanless PSU
No CD/DVD/Bluray, memory cards only
Run jet streams out of tubbing attached to pumps, Lowest db rating possible, only needs to push oil a little bit, with holes that will push oil around important parts; you can do this with one pump by snaking the tubing around every part and drilling small holes in the tubing, cap end of the tube to create higher pressure at tinier holes.
Wrap it in noise dampening material and lock it inside a cabinet in your computer desk, if you have one.
Optional, line inside of the cabinet in sound reducing materials
Suspend rig in the air, prob shouldn't do this, that oil amount is heavy and a nightmare to cleanup
>>
>>54933435
stop being autistic
>>
If portability isn't a factor, put your desktop in the basement or in the next room and route the monitor + keyboard/mouse cables through the wall.
>>
>>54933312
macbook pro
>>
Heat pipes feedng a heat sink large enough to cool your machine without forced airflow would be a good way to go. I think a heatsink with fins that don't obstruct vertical airflow would help with that so you could take advantage of convection as a sort of forced air cooling.
>>
>>54933536
>want silent pc
>so he can play DUMBSTEP EXPLOSION 3000 DORITO xNOSCOPEx 360
Kys yourself faggot
>>
>>54933312
Build a PC with no moving parts. It will not be a powerful PC, but you said silent and that's how you do it.

It won't be an unusable PC. It would be fine for browsing the internet or even watching HD videos and playing emulated games.
>>
>>54933534
Yes, I think at that length there is a measurable delay. But there are ways around it.
>>
There is the possibility that your hearing is better than most of ours. Get your ears checked if you indeed find you have super human hearing you could work towards ways of capitalizing on it.
>>
maybe build a cage with sound proof styrofoam stuff
>>
>>54933435
pay this british faggot to make you one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3_sy3-c6LM
>>
>>54933312
The only way to get a completely "silent" PC is to put it in another room and route cables to the room you want to use it in. That way you won't hear it.
>>
>>54933501
this desu fampai
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.