[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need some tech advice Im just starting to get into building
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Rig Properties.png (55 KB, 812x378) Image search: [Google]
Rig Properties.png
55 KB, 812x378
Need some tech advice

Im just starting to get into building computers. I want to upgrade my current computer so I called a local tech place to ask about parts. I've got enough of a budget to do a SSD, a new GTX1070 and I want to upgrade my processor. Here's the question.
You can see my current processor in the pic. I want to upgrade to a i7-4790k. I was told that the old motherboard may or may not be able to handle the switch. Is there a way to test this before purchasing the new chip? if they current board cant handle it does it make more sense to get a whole new board tower etc and start from scratch?
>>
Why would you even need to upgrade if all you have is a 1080p monitor?
>>
>>54914197
er, will I still not get better performance despite it being an older monitor? as I said im brand new to this
>>
>>54914153
All you need to figure out is if your motherboard is compatible. If it is you're set
>>
File: 1458513977524.png (42 KB, 671x182) Image search: [Google]
1458513977524.png
42 KB, 671x182
All you need is an SSD. You will get almost no improvement if you're limited to 1080p.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1173-doom-benchmarks/page2.html
>>
>>54914301
so I would need a 4k monitor to really see a difference? and im not playing FPS games, more like Stellaris, Total War games, Civ 6 things like that
>>
>>54914249

They're trolling you. Your 1070 will give you that much needed performance boost. As well as your CPU.

I'd skip the SSD and buy 32 GB ram.
>>
>>54914358
well meme'd
>>
>>54914393
ugh maybe asking here was a bad idea
>>
>>54914419
You should try >>>/v/, you know, the board dedicated to this topic.
>>
>>54914419
If you have no knowledge at all you're just going to get trolled. just google around, friend.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.