[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reparing and using "outdated" technology.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 8587-S3displaygrau.jpg (77 KB, 800x597) Image search: [Google]
8587-S3displaygrau.jpg
77 KB, 800x597
Normies think something is outdated if it's 2 years or more old (e.g. the Samsung galaxy SIII is now "old" tech).
I bought one used in 2013 (because poorfag) and now I dropped it (stupid).
Would /g/ try to replace the screen (pic related) or would /g/ (especially neo-/g/) throw it away and buy the ehrmagerd-latest GALAXY S7 Phone ...

You know ... planned obscolescence is a thing! So HW-manufacturers don't make it as easy to repair something compared to 20 to 30 years ago.

Would you recycle or buy new?
>>
>>54908259
*obsolescence
>>
>>54908259
repair it
>>
Unless you're a poorfag you should buy a new one of course.
>>
>>54908259
You no longer have to spend as much to get a new phone. You can get very decent stuff for around 200 bucks, if you're willing to buy chink phones.
>>
>>54908284
kys

>>54908259
I don't buy rapidly aging tech, it's money burned away. Any tech that you'd have to replace in two years is a poor investment.
>>
Screen is going to cost like 100$ anyways, excluding the labour to fix it. And you're wasting money on something that is old and not really worth it.

For me this would be a great excuse to buy a new phone. Everything about it is going to be better.

You could even get a used s4 or something and it would still be better.

Replacing parts is retarded if the parts cost the same as or more than the phone is worth at that point in time.
>>
>>54908391
>Replacing parts is retarded if the parts cost the same as or more than the phone is worth at that point in time
Because shipping the surplus parts and keeping them in warehouses before a service center asks for them costs money.
>>
>>54908480
I'm not really complaining about the prices of replacement parts though.
>>
>>54908391
I wouldn't factor in labor costs here as fixing Samsung phones is easy as fuck, less than 10 mins of your time to do a complete digitizer swap
>>
I have an S3 with a dying battery which I'll replace, but I'm looking into getting a new phone. It *is* old, there's no way around it. Repairs cost a lot and on the software side of things you are limited to trusting Pajeets on XDA.

Phone market has and continues to move very fast. This isn't a laptop or a desktop, where you can easily get ~6 years out of one without feeling the need to upgrade.
>>
>>54908259
If I dropped my SIII and somehow managed to break it, I'd probably just buy a new phone.

Note 4 would probably be my choice. However, last time I dropped it I tried to catch it with my foot and accidentally kicked it across my room. Screen works perfectly, not even a noticeable scratch.
>>
>>54908259
A lot of the time it's just cheaper to replace stuff than repair it, specially with electronics
Something like the screen is ready to replace, so if it can be obtained for cheap I would replace it, but it's quite probable than a used S5 would be better value
>>
>>54909477
Don't play soccer with ur phone anon
>>
>>54909477
>However, last time I dropped it I tried to catch it with my foot and accidentally kicked it across my room. Screen works perfectly, not even a noticeable scratch.
We've all done this.
>>
>>54909347

Galaxy S3 runs Lollipop probably even Marshmallow CM builds perfectly smooth and it runs just about every app on the Play Store perfectly as well.
It's a perfectly capable phone in 2016.

>Phone market has and continues to move very fast.
not really. In the last few years nothing truly revolutionary has manifested in the phone market. Its just more pixels, better camera, slightly more RAM and CPU cores that are hardly utilized
>>
>>54909595
Is Marshmallow CM stable enough? I've been reading that a lot of people who do flash it end up with SIM cards not working, no network etc.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.