[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
got a refurbished x200s with 4gb ram which linux based OS should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
got a refurbished x200s with 4gb ram

which linux based OS should I install ?
>>
>>54886874
Debian
>>
>>54886874
You're already going to pride yourself on using inferior tech so debian would be a perfect fit

>time tested rock solid stable dont fix whats not broken real job mature adult step aside ricers *drives off in crown vic*
>>
>>54886899
are crown vics the thinkpad of cars? i'm looking to buy a new car soon
>>
You have a Libreboot-compatible laptop, so maybe Trisquel or Parabola? Flashing Libreboot is kind of a pain on the X200s, though. I ran Fedora on mine.

The correct answer is of course any distro you feel you'd be happy with. PHC patches for undervolting aren't very actively maintained but still work if you want to increase battery life.
>>
>>54886967
going to use the thinkpad mainly in university and for web development, probably going to install win7 aswell
>>
>>54886917
Get a civic with no modifications if you want to just drive from point A to point B and forget that you have a car to take care of it.
>>
>>54886899
More of a Taunus guy myself, but Vics are a-ok too
>>
>>54887068
sweet that's exactly what i want. thanks
>>
>>54887075
btw, don't forget about those guys from /o/ :)
>>
Don't bother with systemd/Linux.
Try Free or Open BSD.
>>
>>54886967
>You have a Libreboot-compatible laptop
Installing libreboot in x200s is a fucking pain in the ass.
the board is GS45 instead of GM45 or something like that so libreboot don't work 100% correctly and you can only use the high voltage/performance profile.
Also you can't flash the bios directly you have to use a beagleboard.
I want to know a way to remove intel ME without installing libreboot , I think that you can dump your own bios , apply a program to modify the headers ( so intel ME will not boot) and then flash the custom bios.
And again you have to solder wires from the beagleboard to the bios memory chip in order to flash the bios.
>>
Arch
>>
>>54886874
>ctrl + f "gentoo"
>no results

seriously though
>>
>>54887129
>you can only use the high voltage/performance profile.
Are you sure? Looking at the relevant Libreboot docs, it seems to me they're only talking about how SU processors won't work but SL ones will. They don't mention anything about being locked to any power profile. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Everything else is on point, but I want anyone with the laptop to know about the possibility if they feel enthusiastic about it.
>>
i need a laptop for college. i'm going to be doing virtualization on it pretty regular though. any better deal than a 15 inch 2011 macbook pro?
>>
>>54887529
Please capitalise your sentences. I imagine there are better threads to ask that question in, although it's laudable that you didn't create a new one.

I imagine you'd ideally want something more modern for virtualisation. Lugging around a 15" laptop isn't that fun either.
>>
>>54887035
If you're going to install Windows don't flash libreboot.
>>
File: 1460096982879.jpg (155 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460096982879.jpg
155 KB, 1280x720
>>54886884
>using an OS that runs hot as fuck

>>54886874

Install Fedora
>>
mint
>>
Before you do anything install Libreboot, you're lucky to have one of the few compatible machines.
>>
>>54890951
kek
>>
>>54886874
xubuntu 14.04 or 15.10
>>
>>54886874
Chromium OS
>>
>>54887493
>>54887493
Ok, I looked it up:
>X200S with high-performance mode CPU will work so long as you use matching memory modules (doesn't matter what size).
https://libreboot.org/docs/hcl/x200.html#x200s
Installing libreboot is already complicated and the risk of bricking your laptop is relatively high , with an x200s the process is even more difficult.
Also IIRC, there are issues with the dockbase and the wifi card?
>>
Preferably Debian with a KDE Environment.
OR Ubuntu 16
Bonus points for Arch Linux
>>
Return it and get x200 for core boot
>>
Honestly I just use Ubuntu on all my thinkpads now. Every other distro is too much of an annoyance.
openSuse is pretty cool though.
>>
>>54886917
Volvo s70 is the thinkpad of cars
>>
>>54886874
more RAM
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.