[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of opensuse?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: openSUSE Logo Geeko.png (56 KB, 1793x867) Image search: [Google]
openSUSE Logo Geeko.png
56 KB, 1793x867
>one of first rpms
>comes with great support for both kde/gnome/xfce
>great stability(Leap 42.1)
>bleeding edge(Tumbleweed)
>YaST
Why haven't you tried it yet?
>>
How is Tumbleweed compared to Arch/Antergos?
>>
>>54879019
I have tried it once! rally liked it. KDE buggy tho...
>>
>>54879032
In Arch you have to compile your shit and even fuck up your system. Forget that with Tumbleweed
>falling fot the arch meme
>>
>>54879019
it black screens on me. skylake ftw
>>
Never trust a distro with KDE as its default desktop environment.
>>
>>54879168
it does that to me. also the same with debian/mint/kali
>>
>>54879032
Tumbleweed has a more extensive testing system, and despite being bleeding-edge is actually quite stable.
>>
>>54879032
Haven't tried Arch, but Tumbleweed is pretty nice, more or less stable releases of the latest software and it only fucks up once every few months (and it usually only takes ~5 minutes to fix)
>>
File: 08.jpg (9 KB, 172x137) Image search: [Google]
08.jpg
9 KB, 172x137
at some point when i was updating to 13.something it suddenly derped with my radeon drivers, so every boot was ending in kernel panic or something close to that

also the repo seems updating slowly, i had trouble setting up ant for compiling with android ndk

but still I plan to use OpenSUSE at my next PC
>>
>>54879787
It tends to derp out every now and then with NVIDIA drivers, but I haven't had a single graphics issue with the open source intel drivers.

Just make sure you don't fall for the BTRFS meme
>>
>>54879019
Its the only os that works flawlessly on my laptop out of the box.
>>
>>54879019
customers HDD's come in with those before we wipe them with our in-house solution.

My own choice is Windows because you can bring in most plebs for cheap work and they'll perfer the GUI before the terminal. Easier for engineering when you can point to a box vs a list and say "EVERYTHING IN THIS BOX ROUTES TO THAT BOX"

Suse you don't really get that without investing in the workers
>>
>>54879019
No longer necessary.

Use one of the following or do not use Linux at all

>Ubuntu
>Red Hat Enterprise Linux

That's it. If you ever want the year of the Linux desktop the distros must be consolidated.
>>
>>54879072
>"in arch you have to compile your shit"
>doesn't know what arch is
>calls it a meme
>>
>>54879571
hdmi? igpu?
>>
>>54879019
I installed it on 3 laptops and it's great on all of them.
Leap is better for me since I dont need most recent versions. Updating is annoying since I get 1MB/s until my pipe is upgraded in a few weeks (over 5MB/s pls pls pls).

It's also my choice for family installs.
>>
>>54880375
>Updating is annoying
Tumbleweed updates are too often for my needs, is what I mean. Leap is great.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160602_201609.png (9 KB, 583x158) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160602_201609.png
9 KB, 583x158
Just why the hell is Tubleweed update so damn slow?
>>
Because Fedora works for me.
>>
>>54879019
cuz fedora.
>>
Haven't tried it since Leap hit. Last time I tried Tumbleweed that fucker panic'd on me every other time I zypper up'd so I said fuck it and went back to Debian's loving manly arms.

Is KDE still shit btw? I really liked 4 but every distro seems to have abandoned it like a prom night dumpster baby in favour of plasma.
>>
File: Muh system p5.png (41 KB, 960x1040) Image search: [Google]
Muh system p5.png
41 KB, 960x1040
>>54879019
It still runs on my pSeries so I guess that's alright.
>>
>>54881464
>blurry username
Literally nobody gives a shit
>>
>>54879019
>try to download
>all links 404
>no torrents
gg openshit.

i love mint, its the only way to go.
>>
>>54881486
You did :^)
>>
File: SPTimmy.jpg (41 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
SPTimmy.jpg
41 KB, 320x240
>>54881495
>>
i personally prefer debian based systems with apt, suse seems neat but ill stick with what i know best
>>
>>54880800
German-quality bits take time

>>54881495
>try to download mint
>has a backdoor
>>
>>54879072
Youve clearly never used arch or compiled a package.
>>
I guess I'll give it another try
>>
>>54879861
>>54881660

don't you think for a few seconds before posting?
arch has almost no software in the official repo
they rely on the aur, which for the most part distributes source packages to compile.

fucking losers.
>>
How does Leap compare to Debian in terms of stability and packages?
>>
i have tried it. it was pretty good.

might switch over once i'm done with fedora
>>
>>54880832
Its still sortof buggy, but I love using it so much, that I don't mind. Then again I've always been a KDE fag so take my word with a grain of salt.
>>
How big of a difference is there between openSUSE and Kubuntu, as far as KDE oriented distros go? I've yet to exhaust all the possibilities with the latter as I've only been using it for a few days but, as far as a distro that specializes in that DE, I actually have been looking at openSUSE as another choice. So far I've yet to encounter anything in Kubuntu that I find objectionable, so I wonder how much worth there is. (Excepting things like learning more about Linux because openSUSE is a bit less "just works.")
>>
nope
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.