[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want to build a new desktop computer for $1k or less for gaming,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Ibm_pc_5150.jpg (436 KB, 1920x1784) Image search: [Google]
Ibm_pc_5150.jpg
436 KB, 1920x1784
Want to build a new desktop computer for $1k or less for gaming, watching videos and internet (nothing more advanced than StarCraft II, Diablo III or Steam games). There are several problems, however:

- I want a quiet, yet adequately cooled system, including a graphics card that gets the job done but doesn't sound like a jet engine - passively cooled get way too hot, unfortunately. I don't want to deal with water cooling.
- I want a CRT monitor but I'm not sure where to get one except to look for a used one. I would really like a newer model that's as light as possible though.
- I want a decent enough processor that it can deal with nearly 200 open tabs in a browser (I tend to do a lot of research), while also having Word and maybe a PDF file or VLC and/or other programs open and not chugging.
>>
Anyone?
>>
I got that very same pc in your pic.
>>
Do your own research. That's part of the fun of building your own pc. Besides no one will know exactly what you want except you. /g/ will be a lot more help if you come back with a complete build on pcpartpicker and ask for input then.
>>
Ask the PCP forms, they'll be a lot more helpful than 4chan. Regarding your tabs, get the extension "the great suspender" for chrome/Firefox. I have a dual core Carleton with 4gb ram and can deal with 100+ tabs without much issue.
>>
>>54877495
Check your local thrift store for a CRT monitor or check craigslist. For the PC building find out the games specs and find recent mid level parts to play those games.

Also doing some research wont hurt.
>>
>>54879922
>Do your own research. That's part of the fun of building your own pc.
>Fun
No it isn't. And there is absolutely no way to know beforehand, for example how quiet a given graphics card will be.

>Besides no one will know exactly what you want except you.
I already said what I wanted.

>>54879984
>they'll be a lot more helpful than 4chan
Yeah, 4chan's never been particularly helpful.
>>
>>54881145
>And there is absolutely no way to know beforehand, for example how quiet a given graphics card will be.
Just order many different cards and then return them within 14 days to get your money back.
>>
>>54881145
For graphics card noise, you want a card that stops the fans completely when not under load. You'll have to research this, but for many cards you can do a firmware mod to adjust the fan speed curve so that'll they spin down completely, even if they don't by default.

In my opinion, 0 fan noise under low load is pretty important, since I relatively rarely have my GPU under load.

For noise under load, a bit of googling will show you there are some published / aggregated results, of varying quality. No one on /g/ will be able to give you a much better answer with confidence, since few people have the time + resources to test a bunch of cards under controlled conditions - most people only buy max one from each generation.

>>54877495
For well-behaved websites (ones that don't run a bunch of background JS), the limiting factor for performance with lots of tabs is probably memory. Just get 32GB in 4x8GB dimms or something, and you'll be set. You can start with 16GB in 2x8GB, then upgrade easily if you aren't satisfied. I don't recommend going below 16GB from what you've described.
>>
>>54881231
That's not how it works, dumbass. The vast majority of places have restocking fees.

>>54881273
>For well-behaved websites (ones that don't run a bunch of background JS)
But all websites are cancerous with JS now.

Also, I would really like to try to find one of the newer, ligher CRT monitors, but I'm having trouble finding a source. I hate that shitty LCD monitors took over because people have such poor standards for visual displays.

>I don't recommend going below 16GB from what you've described.
Wow, really?
>>
>>54881324
>That's not how it works, dumbass
By EU law this is exactly how it works.
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm
>>
>>54881373
I live in America, stupid.
>>
File: 1464635604037.png (5 KB, 360x331) Image search: [Google]
1464635604037.png
5 KB, 360x331
>>54877495
Cheap AMD Hexa/Octa core + wait for till the RX 480 starts to stock around your local store. AM3 platform and DDR3 RAM are dirt cheap now since people are clearing out on stock and honestly an FX seriues hexa core is great for multitasking, multiple "tabs" open and rendering. Honestly AMD has really dropped the bomb with their recent price cuts and it would serve you well. Another good option is to get an intel B85 chipset motherboard with a Pentium G3258 and overclock it balls to the wall considering you have a decent cooler. In essence from what you are describing I would get an FX-8370 since we have a few months left for the ZEN release and intel is a waste of cash considering motherboard costs and number of threads per dollar and get a decent RX 480, this new beast of a card will decimate any game even at 1440p and only costs 200 bucks, plus it has a TDP of 150 Watts so it should be very quiet especially with an aftermarket cooler, from which i would recommend Sapphire.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.