[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GPU died the other day. Game tabbed out, colour started to die,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: gpu.jpg (1 MB, 3255x1705) Image search: [Google]
gpu.jpg
1 MB, 3255x1705
GPU died the other day.

Game tabbed out, colour started to die, I reset, and was greeted with tons of static/artifacting.

I don't have a spare PC to test the GPU, but I've tried different pcie slots, monitors, uninstalling drivers, cleaning everything, nothing changes.

Should I just accept it's death and move on?
>>
Perfect opportunity to grow up and stop gaming
>>
>>54872380
RIP GPU.
>>
>>54872391
I can't. It's a worse habit than smoking.
>>54872398
1070 here I come!
>>
>>54872380
Probably be ready to move on, you can also try baking the GPU, might help, maybe it's just a BGA connector failing.
>>
>>54872391
This. You can save a lot of money by not buying expensive GPUs. A thinkpad is a good replacement
>>
>>54872409
Or bake it and sell it if you're an asshole, nobody is judging.
>>
>>54872418
I can afford a 700€ GPU once every year, I could even afford one every month and still have money to go out every weekend and dine every day and pay my bills.
>>
>>54872436
or you could save the money for your retirement
>>
>>54872380
put in the oven with foil wrapped in it for 5-10 min, trust me it works.
>>
File: CONGA.gif (804 KB, 250x270) Image search: [Google]
CONGA.gif
804 KB, 250x270
>>54872380
> I've tried different pcie slots, monitors, uninstalling drivers, cleaning everything, nothing changes.
It's either the graphics card, the monitor, or the cable. Fortunately, ruling out the monitor and cable is easy. If the monitor is to blame, its menus will be fucked as well. Faulty cable can be checked by just swapping it with another one. If shit persists, GPU is confirmed for rekt.
>>
>>54872380
Bake it.
>>
File: owl.jpg (14 KB, 179x214) Image search: [Google]
owl.jpg
14 KB, 179x214
>>54872443
>>
>>54872443
With my bad habbits and fucked up lungs I'm happy if I make it past 60 at all.
>>
>>54872480

blaze it faggot
>>
>>54872454
>faulty cable
Unless hes using VGA or DVI-T (which would not give that kind of artifacts if the cable if faulty) a digital cable can't produce artifacts, even if one wire is broken it will notify or not work at all.

So it can't be the cable, if the monitors menus are OK it has to be the GPU, usually it's a problem with the GPU's connection to the board, aka the BGA, unless he fried some transistors on the silicon, but then the card rarely works at all.

Baking will probably fix it, but it will probably come back in a week, month, year.
>>
>>54872380
Pretty sure it's dead man. My pc shut off mid gaming session and smoke came out of the case. Opened the case and saw a huge black spot on the gpu.
If you don't have warranty on the card I'd just get a new one. 1080 or 480, whatever fits your bill.
>>
>>54872391
No fun allowed
Only shitposting on /g/
>>
>>54872407
Like what games do you play?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.