[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Unity f*cked up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
Well, so Unity is now a totally money grab, unless you pay 1500$ a year you wont be able to get rid of their splash screen. That's how ridiculous it has become.

Thinking about switching to UDK or CryEngine, which one would you recommend?
>>
>>54863278
its just a splash screen who cares?
>>
>>54863325
It's not only about that. It's about how they increased their prices, while there are other engines out there (as mentioned, UDK or CE) that are better, and almost totally free.
>>
>>54863278
They already had the splash screen shit before. The splash screen in my experience sets expectations because people have been burned by shitty Unity shovelware before. But paying $75/mo and being forced to subscribe for 12 months (in the old model) just to remove it is a really tough sell since there's no guarantee the game is going to make any money at all... I thought they would change to a more UE-like business model but instead they went even harder on the jewishness.

They only get away with it because they have better documentation and being C# you can get away with much more poo in loo-tier coding so anyone can use it. UE4 is better in every way except those.
>>
>>54863347
Well anyway Unreal is better than Cryengine. Maybe check out Lumberyard
https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/
>>
>>54863386
Lumberyard is just a rebranded CryEngine with lock-in so you can only use AWS for multiplayer stuff.
>>
Goys can anyone recommend any 2D game engines that has tick based physics and animation control of some sort?
>>
>>54863360
Cryengine also supports C#.

I don't know a lot about this, so whats the difference between coding in C++ / C#, and the results?

And which game engine is better?
>>
>>54863438
In C++ you need to manually manage memory. In C# you can just leave it lying around and it will get handled. I haven't used CryEngine so I don't know how that works, I just know UE4 is much harder to wrap your head around than Unity which is likely why it's so much less used in shovelware.

Saying which engine is better is hard because there's different metrics you might go by. The best for picking up and making a kusoge in a week? Unity. But when it comes to actual big budget games you almost never see Unity used outside of phone games like Hearthstone and Hitman GO, so it seems to me that UE4 simply produces better results.

But honestly if you don't know the difference between C++ and C# you should probably use Unity.
>>
>>54863506
>In C++ you need to manually manage memory
Smart pointers are part of the standard since C++11
>>
>>54863278
>now

Is this even new?
>>
>>54863278
just use xfce
>>
>>54863278
Hasn't it always been that way?
>>
>>54865031
>>54865073
The new part is they raised the price of the pro tier by $50/mo, it was $75/mo before. I don't think the plus tier existed before.
>>
>>54865086
Still blows, it just blows more now.
>>
>>54863278
>Thinking about switching to UDK or CryEngine, which one would you recommend?

Unreal (since v4) is strictly better than unity.
Better licensing (free for most)
Better community
Better language base (c++ vs c#)
More compatible
More performance
>>
Just forget completely about CryEngine. Dog shit.
>>
File: of course.jpg (80 KB, 500x386) Image search: [Google]
of course.jpg
80 KB, 500x386
>>54863278
>2016
>not using free as in freedom software

>>54865057
I chuckled.
>>
>>54865159
I feel like that's an accurate comic
>>
>>54863386
unreal is not better than cryengine. Unreal has shit performance in comparison.
>>
>>54865159
Only conservitards can make some ridiculous connection between between being more fucking polite to each other and ISIS.

Amazing. Simply amazing.
>>
>>54865424
fuck off nigger terrorist
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.