[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Internet suck so much in America?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 16
>Be me
>Have 6.5mbps Veriozn DSL connection
>Very happy with it despite bandwidth limitations, never lags
>Move houses, Verizon DSL available there too
>Verizon discontinues DSL service in the area the next year, no fios available
>Forced to use TWC 50mbps
>Connection is way laggier, constantly at a disadvantage, playing seconds behind other players in games
>Youtube streams at 2mbps because fuck net neutrality

I can't win.
>>
On the political side, regulators are bought and sold by lobbyists.

On the social side, the voting population doesn't care about appropriate internet speed. Voters are old. They only use the web for Facebookand think that people who want fast internet at home just need to get out more. Stop playing your video games and wasting your life on the couch. Go to the cinema with your sweetheart, have sex in the parking lot and make us some grandkids goddamn it.
>>
File: 1464390929832.gif (2 MB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1464390929832.gif
2 MB, 750x750
>>54850395
>tfw no google fiber
id gladly join the botnet for 1gb/s speeds
>>
>>54850443
Uh, I play games after work to relax, but seriously, it pisses me off that my britbong friend on skype has fuckin ADSL2+ and doesn't get these issues, I wouldn't be so mad, but TWC internet isn't cheap, yet it sucks.
>>
>>54850395
lmao that's nothing. i live in rural mississippi and every one here still has fucking dial up because no one will run a fucking cable down their roads. i live on a highway so i was finally able to get u-verse in early 2015. until then i was on hughesnet satellite internet which has a 300mb per day data cap and 1600ms latency. it also cost $100 per month
>>
>>54850500
>1600ms
Ouch, I'll get bitching now.
>>
>>54850521
that was just the average. on a good day off peak hours it'd go down to ~1200 and on a bad day i'd get around ~2200 with spikes up to 4-5k. i played wow on that shit for 5 or 6 years
>>
>>54850395
i hate this fucking router...so much
fuck you twc
>>
>>54851972
Me too, I use my old Linksys WRT310N from 2008 with DD-WRT on it and the modem in bridged mode, it's so garbage.
>>
>be me
kill urself
>>
>>54852403
After you, Anon.
>>
You should've listened to Ricky Gervais. He said other companies are SPLAT everywhere aside from Kansas City. The company he's shilling is the mutt's nuts.
>>
>>54850395
If you got a 50mbps, I would just go get my own modem and router, and make sure to have a cable that can handle it.

I'm rather lucky with my local option. Only 9mbps @ $45/month, but no data cap. They even threw in a worthwhile modem at no additional charge, although it needs to be returned when I end my service.
>>
lel

75/10 cable internet is $85/month

Comcast says 75/10 cable internet + basic cable TV is $72/month

Get cable + tv, put TV box in closet and never even open it, hook up modem and run a speed test; 90/12

Ping could be better but not bad at all.

Used to live 10 miles west, Only option was Century Link DSL, 5/0.7 speed. Paid $95/mo for basic phone +DSL and only got 3.5/0.7 speed with awful ping and internet outages 4-25 times a day depending.

All that on a 10 mile difference.
>>
>>54852874
I had twc tv and it didn't help.
>>
I moved across the street in the UK and my speed dropped from 18.8Mb to 4-8 on a good day. A couple of metres and it's still ASDL2+. It's a new build so I thought, hey I'll just get fibre.

"Sorry sir 5 years ago when the building was planned no-one thought fibre would be worth laying an extra cable for".

O..OK I'll go with Hyperoptic, I'm sure I can convince 10% of my neighbours to sign up.

"We only serve buildings with 50+ tenants, yours has 24."

Fuck the UK, fuck BT, fuck Sky, fuck phone line rental.
>>
A lot of the infrastructure is old as shit.
>>
I get 300/20 from TWC with low ping in my games and no caps or throttling.

But
>charter buys them out
>will probably have to settle for 100/5 in the future at a higher cost than what I pay for 300/20

The only fiber options I'll be getting in my area is gigapower and they have caps. So fuck this shit, I'm moving.
>>
>>54850395
>I can't win.
you can, just leave that third world shithole and come to a first world country
>>
>>54850395
Depends on where you live, due to infrastructure.
>>
>tfw you live in nyc
>tfw i have a 101/10 connection from cablevisioin
>tfw some french company buys your isp and a term of condition of the sale is to provide 300mb/s internet as the base package.

I'm getting a upgrade to gigabit internet for free because my package is the high end package.
>>
File: 0134134042341374.png (73 KB, 692x108) Image search: [Google]
0134134042341374.png
73 KB, 692x108
fuck you first world-ers.

Bitching about 10-50 Mbps and yet here I am stuck with $50/month for 7Mbps w/ 70 GB data cap.

You should at least appreciate on what you have.
>>
>>54856300
I'd rather have you connection than mine, at least your 39ms latency is true, my TWC always gets 13ms latency on speedtest, but it's a lie because the downstream is fucked up on it yet my 5mbps upload is like a fucking dumbpipe, often being faster than my downstream during peak hours when everyone is on.
>>
>>54856300
Which country?
>>
>>54856300
Fellow third worlder here
>data cap
>70 fucking GB a MONTH
Drop that fucking shit ISP
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 685x244) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 685x244
Are Americans even trying?
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 706x254) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 706x254
>>54856576
After upgrading mobo
>>
It's because America is a 3'rd world country posing as a first world country.
>>
>live in NYC
>Get 200/20 cable from TWC for $35/mo
>Been paying promo prices for two years
>Replace leased modem with Arris SB6183
>ISP gets bought out by Charter
I'm scared guys
>>
>>54850443
So the problem is Evangelical fucktards in the US. What a surprise.
>>
>>54857528
I think because Gen X and the even worse boomers are still being entertained by TV, there's no need to provide decent internet service for the money.
>>
>>54855732
depending on what spectrum does i might have to go off the grid again because i wont pay for garbage.
>>
File: 1439233873899.jpg (19 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
1439233873899.jpg
19 KB, 500x327
>>54850395
I don't know how it is in other countries with superior speeds, but here in Clapistan, the communications services are a fucking oligopoly in any decently populated regions.

It's like gang turf. Companies like Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, and others practically own the utility wires. Any given suburban area only allows 0-2 choices of what company you get to pick to tolerate. God forbid there be any small startup to compete -- you'll need some intense lobbying and political work to claim your stake. Your best chances in that business is to "piggyback" on a major carrier's equipment, like the poorfag cellular services like Cricket, MetroPCS, and etc.

I think I read somewhere that these cable companies actively lobby against other businesses from using unused fiber optic lines that have been sitting underground for quite a while. This might be why Google Fiber is very slowly emerging in select cities.

All in all, you've basically got these choices:
>A. Choose a major ISP, and deal with their poor customer service because they already have you by the balls.
>B. Choose satellite or dial-up, because your town is forsaken.
>C. Steal some faggot's unsecured Wi-Fi.
>>
>>54850460
>>54850395
>use adsl 20mbps
>get upgraded to ftth
>only get 30mbps
>only good thing is for some reason i always get 10+ since im near the station or watever
>>
paying for 100/10 from rogers but getting up to 16.5mbps down, and wirelessly. 5g is nice
>>
File: michael-powell.jpg (21 KB, 232x348) Image search: [Google]
michael-powell.jpg
21 KB, 232x348
>>54850395
Because George W. Bush-era FCC ruling that allowed cable and telcos to lock out competitors from access to "last mile," ensuring there will be absolutely no competition.

You can thank this cunt for it.

He got a real cushy job as the president of National Cable & Telecommunications Association after retiring from FCC.
>>
>>54855673
Reminds me of my situation:
>The whole apartment building is soon to undergo some major renovations with focus on the plumbing (which ether has to undergo major repairs, possibly complete replacement)
>Go to a tenant meeting discussing this
>Presented with 3 proposals, one minimum effort one where a lot of badly needed work is postponed, one proper renovation where the plumbing is replaced and one extra one where some additional needed work is done, including drawing fiber lines
>As you may have guessed it anyone above 50 vehemently opposes the fiber lines as a waste of money
>Everyone over 60 vehemently opposes doing anything except the absolute minimum despite this would lead to another set of major repairs needing to be done within 10 years of this renovation
>More than once an old person tells the meeting that they don't care about anything that won't be absolutely necessary until after they think they'll be dead
>One old fart keeps constantly interrupting the meeting and trying to imply that the building management is screwing the tenants and accusing the engineers who have done the ground work on figuring out what needs to be done of lying to fool the tenants into making repairs that aren't necessary
>Threatens to sue if anything more than the absolute miniumum is done
>Ends up drawing out the meeting by almost 2 hours on his own
Then again the man is a known troublemaker who's previously tried to refuse to pay the per-person water fee because he insists it's unfairly high and that he uses so little water he shouldn't have to pay the water fee. Because of him the building management company hires a lawyer to sit in on tenant meetings just to shut him up.
>>
File: texasspeed.jpg (438 KB, 1554x701) Image search: [Google]
texasspeed.jpg
438 KB, 1554x701
What part of america for you? Texas has it good.

>"u cant screenshot"
I had a timestamp but I had to crop it to hide me IP
>>
>>54858655
>hide me IP

Because you're posting from a university fibre network?
>>
>>54850395
>tfw google fiber is coming and will be available within the next 2 years
What's funny is it finally put the big boys into high gear, ATT is outside right now laying their fiber shit throughout the neighborhood. Up until now all this area had was DSL.
>>
File: here we go ..jpg (31 KB, 624x416) Image search: [Google]
here we go ..jpg
31 KB, 624x416
because , GREED, and lies.
>>
>>54850395
Outside of NYC, LA, and Chicago, the rest of america is a 3rd world tier country, but we who live in the true american civilization of these 3 cities are forced to support the unwashed masses of the rest of america. America is too big for it's own good and should start dropping the dead weight of 3rd world amerifats and focus on raising internet speeds for the patrician city dwellers.
>>
>>54858773
I'm still living with DSL, getting 3/0.7 speeds, I really hope they install fiber in my small neighborhood soon. My friends up the street have fios and I'm so jealous.
>>
File: 1462080758844.jpg (35 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
1462080758844.jpg
35 KB, 360x480
>>54850395
>have twc
>shit was fucked at first
>they fucked up the cable line so when it rained the internet would barely work
>they fix it
>since it took them so long to fix they upgraded our modem, router, and speed for free
>now have 220mbs down/ 20mbs up
>old was 10mbs down/ 5mbs up

I like them now tbqh
>>
File: SS2544.png (48 KB, 705x77) Image search: [Google]
SS2544.png
48 KB, 705x77
>>54856300
and i still transfer mora data than the majority of you guys
>>
>>54850443
there's also the business side, moron.
the US is much more spread out than any of the countries you can compare to it, and/or has much lower population. ISPs have exponentially more wire to lay.
The fact that they've kept up at all shows how the demand for it is so large.
>>
>>54850395
You have to complain literally every few days until your ticket is escalated to management and they fix it.

Its cheaper to just ignore customers and give them bullshit answers like congestion.

Insist that they are throttling you over and over.
>>
>>54859057
>and/or has much lower population
referring to the other countries. fuck grammar.
>>
>>54859057
Canada has even more wire, yet big telco there are more into deploying FTTH than big telco here.
>>
>>54859146
no they don't. they have 1/10th of the population, and the vast majority of wire laying is the last mile.
>>
File: 5371355319.png (32 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
5371355319.png
32 KB, 300x135
>>
>>54858983
I feel like all the major internet providers are starting to wake up and realize they can't play their shitty little game anymore now that Google is creeping up on them and snagging up entire markets because they didn't bother to install fiber.
>>
>>54850395
Large country
Old infrastructure
Hard to replace infrastructure

Other smaller countries which more recently created there communications infrastructure have newer technologies.
>>
>>54859239
Google has been buying up dark fiber for decades. Its already over.
>>
File: i6h2qyjiba6vocqdyri9.png (245 KB, 1200x710) Image search: [Google]
i6h2qyjiba6vocqdyri9.png
245 KB, 1200x710
It's not all bad. I have brighthouse 120/15 for $40 monthly. However, they've been bought by carter. Allegedly the 2nd largest cable company in the nation. No experience with them, but if they're anything like comcast, I'm fucked.

Too bad fios was fucking greedy.
>>
File: god bless.png (68 KB, 731x130) Image search: [Google]
god bless.png
68 KB, 731x130
wew
>>
>>54850395
>Why does Internet suck so much in America?
because of government regulations and interference with the free market

government is so big, the chances of government doing some backdoor shady stuff with the ISP lobbyists are high as fuck

wasnt government so big in the first place you wouldnt have regulations in place that keep small businesses out of investing and entering the ISP market, now you have these 4 huge ISPs that just split the US into nice quarters and they can just sit it out without investing into anything for as long as possible

only the giant google managed to get some tiny projects started
>>
>>54856895
Yet somehow they own over 1/3 of total assets on earth with only 5 percent of the population
>>
>Verizon in NYC
>50/50 for $50
>got a "complimentary upgrade" after the contract to 65/65 for $80
JUST

To be fair, they have incredible uptime during all weather while Time Warner used to fizzle out completely if it rained. On the other hand, Verizon used to throttle gayman streams and FTP really hard on the 50/50; uploading and downloading things to webservers used to take minutes for anything more than 2 mb and streaming services were unusable.
>>
>>54859474
>IT IS BECOZ TEH GUBMINT!!!1
I had a feeling we'd be visited by one of the nutters off /k/...

Seriously thou, the way things are right now is not a result from government regulation, but rather that ISP's have been allowed to fuck consumers over with lobbyists preventing consumers from creating their own alternatives. All of the "no last mile fiber for smaller companies" shit is because of big telcos lobbying efforts.
>>
>>54858641
Feel for you man. The only upside of my situation was that Sky is covering the fee of my internet for a year, with another free upgrade to fibre if BT ever decides to lay cables IN FUCKING LONDON.
>>
>>54859624
>lobbyists preventing consumers from creating their own alternatives.
in other words government regulation
>>
>>54859583
There's a lot of "assets" in africa.
>>
File: 5327172547.png (30 KB, 300x135) Image search: [Google]
5327172547.png
30 KB, 300x135
>>54858578
stop getting cucked lad
call them and complain
>>
File: 1266126008249.jpg (68 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
1266126008249.jpg
68 KB, 305x196
>>54859474
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.