[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is computer engineering a useless degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 000000_seizure-stars.png (111 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
000000_seizure-stars.png
111 KB, 2560x1440
Why is computer engineering a useless degree?
>>
File: 1463093127451.png (328 KB, 418x479) Image search: [Google]
1463093127451.png
328 KB, 418x479
>>54850311
>Why is computer engineering a useless degree?
Do people actually believe this?
>>
>>54850311
Probably because you aren't good at algorithm stuff like pure CS and you aren't good at hardware like embedded/comp electrical engineers
>>
Jack of two trades, master of none.
>>
One of the best paying degrees in the United States.
Pretty sure it's the complete opposite of useless.
>>
>>54850456
>>54850436
What's your degree in, and from where, Rajesh?
>>
It's not useless.
I develop in nodejs, but I know and can reproduce a computer from semiconductors to state machines to processors to operating system to js.
Well, with a fab, and a lot of time. And docs. And I will never actually do it. Because I'm a code money. My company gives me money, free coffee, laptop and gym membership, so I make web sites.

I had a chance to actually go use my degree and write plane firmware for air force. I declined it because I need to wear stricter clothes there. Which means anime girl t-shirts are out.

It was a useless degree. I should have studied straight math, it's more interesting and I would've been able to write js code anyway, if not better than I do now.
>>
>>54850457
4chan says this about every degree. I study chemical engineering and to hear /biz/ tell it, that's the worst degree you can pick next to psychology or women's studies.

>>54850311
Research your choice before picking it then work to make your career happen. There is a lot more to career success than a piece of paper.
>>
*code monkey

Fucking swype. Well it wasn't entirely wrong.
>>
>>54850517
Then stop listening to 4chan and fucking google it?
Forbes and Payscale both suggest it's in the top 10% overall, with Forbes listing it as the second highest starting salary.
>>
>>54850567
Salary isn't everything.
>>
>>54850567
That was my point. Maybe not googling salaries, but finding the answer for oneself by doing actual research and introspection.
>>
>>54850610
>it's not all about the money, maaan
>>54850640
>introspection

Fucking hippies get off my board.
>>
At least in my country its a good degree, I work for the government, can't get dumped, can pay my rents, buy the stuff I want and travel 2x in the year. For a third world country im better than the rest of population
>>
>>54850685
Good, comfy lifestyle while doing a fun job is the dream.
>>
>>54850456
no engineering degree emphasizes mastery
>>
>>54850311
because i did a computer engineer's job straight out of high school

system admin and archetecture is not hard guys. it's just common sense. deflate your egos, i still don't understand how this is actually a degree
>>
>>54850610
Then going by that, a CS degree is also near bottom tier since being a code monkey isnt all that fun.
I'm currently finishing my CE degree and in these 3 years Ive had one electrical eng / electronics class and one class about embedded systems.
The rest were mostly programming and some networking here and there.
Honestly I like it to be like this since I can keep electronic tinkering as a hobby for nkw and focus more on programming which I originally planned to do anyways
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.