[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is some free software so unreliable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: received_1607668342881294.jpg (42 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
received_1607668342881294.jpg
42 KB, 800x533
Why is some free software so unreliable?
>>
>>54848913
because it's free.
>>
probably the user, in your case
>>
Because nobody is getting paid to develop it.
>>
Why is some non-free software so unreliable?
>>
File: jiggly puff.jpg (5 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
jiggly puff.jpg
5 KB, 200x133
>>54848913
Because nobody got bitched at to make it better
>>
>>54850144
>paying for software
Never in my life desu
>>
>>54850156
>>54850067

THIS

noone has the incentive to make shit better and more user friendly. It'll stay autism tier till some weird billionaire or the government comes in and dumps money into it.
>>
>>54850191
Yeah I complain a lot about analysts and managers and release "engineers" (yeah ok) and their incessent complaints about deadlines and budgets and all that, but ultimately it serves a purpose
>>
>>54850191
Excuse me, macfag? I happen to use a minimalist tiling window manager, which I configure in plaintext, and that's as "user-friendly" as anything needs to be. I've had to reset and reconfigure my system (Arch Linux) half a dozen times, and each time I was stunned by how user-friendly plaintext config files and bash scripts are. This is true reliability and being "user-friendly".
>>
>>54850295
>macfag

oh wow, somehow I'm a macfag.

If you want something to be used more it needs to be user friendly. I can use stuff like 3DS Max right off the bat rather than Blender and it's clusterfuck. It doesn't even have decent shortcuts for example.

Also, normies won't use the console period and won't compile packages for their system, the closest you'll get with linux is Ubuntu but it's datamining is worse than Windows 10.

Also thanks for proving the point of everything being Autism tier.
>>
>>54850295

Arch Users
>>
>>54850295
>I'm hardcore
>I use Arch
>I suck systemD's cock

atleast say you use gentoo or something if you want to show off.

>tiling window manager

use a single console tryhard
>>
>>54850407
Sounds like somebody had too much trouble installing Arch. Don't worry, operating systems like this aren't for everyone. It's fast, reliable, minimalist, configurable, and yes, "luser-friendly".
>>
File: abettertomorrow-cover1.jpg (342 KB, 685x678) Image search: [Google]
abettertomorrow-cover1.jpg
342 KB, 685x678
>>54850191
>noone has the incentive
Then why do nonprofit organizations even exist? After all, what's the incentive?
>>
>>54850538
>Arch
>A challenge

Try doing an LFS install tryhard
>>
>>54850540
Whoops, seems like you already answered my question
>It'll stay autism tier till some weird billionaire or the government comes in and dumps money into it.
And that's exactly how nonprofits stay afloat.
>>
>>54850540
>Then why do nonprofit organizations even exist?

You don't need to put 100% of the funding into what the foundation does, see femfreq for the best example of misappropriated funds.

You don't see medical research breakthrougs being done by none profit organizations either, it's always done by a private entity
>>
If you don't like it, change it. That's the power Free software gives you. You don't have to pay shekels for a hotline to bitch at Pajeet or go to anonymous knitting conventions and cry there, you can study, modify and redistribute the source code.
>>
>>54850604
That's the thing, it assumes everyone has the knowledge to do so. Which isn't really the case
>>
>>54850787
It doesn't assume anything. If you have the knowledge to do so, you can change it. And if you don't, you can acquire that knowledge freely, if you're so inclined to do so.
Neither could be said for closed-source software.
>>
>>54850858
Closed software has money to lose, so they come out with updates and fixes regularly done by professionals with feedback from the community.

Free software has a shitload of forks with features that aren't needed, code inflation and dependencies that require dependencies.

Both have their merits but one has better results than the other. Alot of people wouldn't put the time and effort in without a good incentive and would rather pay money than pay with their time.

This is why MS Office, Photoshop and Solidworks are marketshare leaders compared to LibreOffice, Krita and CAELinux even though the close-source software has more bloat it's way more reliable and does what the user wants within a user friendly environment that can be picked up with minimal effort.

If free software doesn't go this route then it would stay in it's niche corner
>>
Thank you, Rajpeet, your continued support is noted. Another 10INR have been deposited into your account.
>>
>>54850787
Nothing is assumed, you're given the right to do it; learning how to implement changes and implementing them are simple things and could be done in the time you normally spend complaining about software. If you don't like a program and lack the time or interest to learn how to program, either shut your gob or start paying people who do have the knowledge to implement the changes you want.
>>
>>54850056
>probably the user, in your case
Great reply. Typical loonix bullshit.

If a user does not want to spend three hours every week repairing what a simple update did, it's his fault. Good god.
>>
File: 1434648884011.jpg (45 KB, 591x413) Image search: [Google]
1434648884011.jpg
45 KB, 591x413
>>54850938
>Alot of people wouldn't put the time and effort in without a good incentive
But lots of people have and continue to put in the time and effort to develop open-source software that millions of people use everyday. What's their incentive?
Besides, it seems like this is two different arguments here; closed-source vs. open-sourced and paid software vs. free software. Which are two different arguments, since neither are mutually exclusive.
>>
>>54851122
>What's their incentive?
see >>54850191

people dumping money into it.

people's time isn't free anon.
>>
>>54850538
>It's fast, reliable, minimalist, configurable
Bwaahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahhahahaahhahahahahahahahahhhahahhahahahhahhhahahahhahahhahhahahahahhahaahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahaaahhahaahahahahhaahahahhahhahahahahhahahhahahhahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhahhahahhahahahahahahhahaahhahhaahahahahhahahahahahah
>>
File: 1464317447369.png (11 KB, 710x169) Image search: [Google]
1464317447369.png
11 KB, 710x169
>>54851117
>repairing what a simple update did, it's his fault
kek
>>
>>54848913
any good, quality product requires resources, that is time and disciplined, educated people in this case. then the question is: who has the resources to give away for free?
the answer is: noone.
so, the free software is only developed by undisciplined, incompetent, uneducated conceited fucks seeking fame and rewards in their own sick ways, or is supported by shady deep pockets to take something from you in return(your time as guinea pigs, your attention, your fanboyism, etc)
>>
>>54850350
>the closest you'll get with linux is Ubuntu but it's datamining is worse than Windows 10.
source needed.
>>
File: stallman eating footskin.png (416 KB, 1015x765) Image search: [Google]
stallman eating footskin.png
416 KB, 1015x765
>>
>>54850144
/thread
>>
>>54850350
Indeed, free software many times has bad design. That is FOSS community is mostly of developers not designers. That doesn't make it unreliable though.
>>
>>54850067
akshully it's about 50/50.
Important shit is done by paid pros.
Desktop widgets are done by hobbyists.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.