[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HAPPENING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1455570778567.gif (1 MB, 520x375) Image search: [Google]
1455570778567.gif
1 MB, 520x375
freedom on the internet is about to take a fatal hit
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/may/31/facebook-youtube-twitter-microsoft-eu-hate-speech-code

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/eu-gives-facebook-twitter-youtube-8089780

http://techraptor.net/content/facebook-twitter-youtube-microsoft-agree-follow-eu-hate-speech-rules
>>
Oh, again?

I thought something could only die once?
>>
>>54846663
we had a little freedom
but now we will have none at all
>>
These are private companies that can allow and disallow whatever content they wish. If you want a platform without such restrictions, find something different or create one yourself. No freedom is being taken away here.
>>
>>54847037
normies are pretty much forced to use these products
>microsoft
>facebook
>youtube
the average Joe uses these everyday what are our other options?
>linux
>obscure social media nobody uses
>>
>>54847157
GNU social network, whatever the fuck that's called ;)
>>
>>54847363
normies wont use that
>>
>>54847157
>normies are pretty much forced to use these products
If normies want to submi to companies that will restrict their speech, that is their problem. You can choose not to. For example, I'm sure there is a significant contigent of /g/ that doesn't use Facebook. Hell, you're on a forum right now where you can say what you damn well please, and no one will come after you. As I said, if you want another platform where you won't be restricted, make it. No one is stopping you. That is freedom.
>>
>>54847431
this is a bad precedent
they will come for 4chan next
>>
>>54847037
>private companies can serve and not serve whatever customer they wish

But that's problematic.
>>
>>54847581
That's not what's being done. Types of speech are being limited by these companies on their platforms. Telling them that they cannot do what they want with their own services is a dangerous precedent. As I keep repeating, you are free to create platforms where users can say whatever they want within the rule of law. As long as you are free to do that, no freedom is being taken.
>>
>>54847496
Who is "they?" There is nothing saying 4chan has to submit. The EU has no authority over 4chan.
>>
>>54848212
you say that now
but just you wait till we are labeled as terrorists
>>
>>54848234
>wait
explodingvan.gif
>>
>>54848234
Well, that's a different issue entirely. Governments forcing policies abridging free speech is something totally different than private companies amending their own policies.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.