[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I made a thread last week about my GPU fan. It was making funny
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: radeon 5850.jpg (9 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
radeon 5850.jpg
9 KB, 221x228
I made a thread last week about my GPU fan. It was making funny noises, so I took apart and cleaned my GPU. Hooked GPU back up and fan wasn't spinning at all. People suggested a faulty fan, so I ordered one that was lost in the mail, ordered a second that is finally here. I hooked up the new fan and have the same issue - GPU is functioning perfectly, but fan doesn't spin at all. As if it has no power.

I've tried software to change fan speeds and mess with it but I'm not getting anywhere. I'm sure at this point that my GPU just isn't powering fans for some reason. Maybe i was too rough with the connector or something, I don't know.

Any ideas on what I can do? I would feel really bad buying a new card based on my current one not powering its fan. Is there any alternate way I can power it? Like a converter to make the power come from somewhere else?

I'm totally open to the idea that I'm just doing something wrong, so if you have a hunch I'll listen and try.
>>
Here is a hunch: call geeksquad
>>
I like my sister.
>>
>>54840886
I don't have any available local resources. If I could take this to a computer place I would, but I live on a mountain, so I'm working with what I've got and I can't find anything relevant with google. This isn't a "how do i install a gpu" question that can be easily answered, I have a weird problem and I thought someone might have an idea.
>>
Depending on the gpu, some newer cards actually disable their fans whilst idle. They then kick back in under load. If your card is the potato as pictured, my only advice is installing gentoo on the card.
>>
Optionally, just jerry rig a fan to the card and power from molex.
>>
>>54841063
It is the potato pictured. Had it for 6 years with no such feature being apparent. Pretty sure it's just broken. Just seems dumb to buy a new GPU for a fan problem so I'm making sure there's no other reasonable options.

>>54841072
I will consider this, my case is a little tight though, I'd have to find a pretty small fan.
>>
>>54840873
Its a old as fuck card anyways just upgrade to polaris when it comes out
>>
Did you the fan in backwards?
>>
>>54840873
>>54843922
Just asking because i've done it before. If you didn't. Test the fan on its own.

Run wires from the power and ground to some 12v connector off your PSU. If you don't want to do this running them to a 9v battery should still be sufficent to test to see if the fan will spin up.

If it doesn't, fans fucked. If it does, somethings fucked with the GPUs fan controller.
>>
>>54840873
Are you sure it's the same model and the exact sub model with the same amperage? Or are you a fucking brain-dead mentally challenged faggot that needs spoon-feeding with everything in his shitty life?

Lurk moar goddamnit, summer is a fucking shit for this board
>>
>>54840873
Time to get out the multi-meter and start checking connections on the board. You might have pried a solder joint loose when you disconnected the fan the first time.
>>
dont make a fucking thread for this shit, ask in the Stupid Questions Thread.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.