[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people shit on AMD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 450x320
Why do so many people shit on AMD?
>>
1. Their products have been falling behind over the past few years
2. Their marketshare has plummeted- there are simply more people with nvidia loyalties.
>>
>>54833727
This. But most of the hate is fanboyism
>>
>>54833727
3. Polaris/Zen is the last chance to recover
>>
shit (proprietary) drivers for gnu/linux
>>
>>54833727
But they're good budget cards and processors that run well.
>>
>>54833753
People here in the states think they need the best of the best. Most of us are able to perceive additional fps as our eyes or more advanced, so we need to spend twice as much for intel and goyvidia.

In reality theres nothing wrong with AMD, i get i7 performance on my FX 8320 OC, and spent 100 bucks. All games run with ease, HD 7870 still going strong, drivers have only helped over the past year. Nothing wrong there, to me.
>>
>>54833744
As opposed to nonexistent linux drivers on NoVidya cards?
>>
>>54833717
They're paid to do it by the Jewish Intelnvidia conglomerate.
>>
AMD is generally for people who can't afford Intel. To use a food analogy, AMD is the store brand, while Intel is the name brand that you pay an extra dollar for. The store brand gets the job done, but the name brand usually tastes better.
>>
>>54833850
No, you actually don't. Here's the thing though: very few modern games stress the CPU even slightly. For anything that actually does: the equivalent i7 will annihilate AMD's chip.

Also: nice memes, strawman, and false premise.
>>
OP here.

This is just a general question but do AMD processors compare to the equivalent Intel processors?
>>
>>54833717
Dunno, my budget build with a FX 8350 and two R9 390X in CFX cost me next to nothing and I can run any title at 90FPS+ with everything cracked and tweaked as up as possible.

Why would I need better? When I go VR resolutions I can run even VR at max FPS.

Tell me I'm wrong?
>>
>>54833992
If i was home id post my benchmarks from performance test 8.0. My FX 8320 at 4.2 ghz matches or beats an i7 3770 out in almost everything but single core performance. Not everyone uses vidya as their stress test. For rendering and encoding purposes the FX stomps everything intel its price range.

AMD is for people who dont want to pay 150-200 more for literally marginal gains. If vidya is your concern, use that saved money to get a better gpu.

You will get more with intel, im not doubting that. It's just the returns are extremely diminished.
>>
>>54833717
Over-promise but under-delivered

t. disapointed amd fanboy
>>
>>54834043
this
>>
>>54834043
how does the power consumption of your AMD system compare to the intel i7?
>>
>>54833861
wow you just spew what the keyboards brings you dont ya
>>
>>54834011
WTF kind of question is that?

Equivalent processors are ... equivalent.
>>
AMD = poo in the loo
>>
>>54834629
Nvidia/Intel = manchildren
>>
>>54833717
Because it only makes promises stuff and fails to deliver them. Every fucking time. This time it's no different either, just wait and see... well waiting is what you fucking cucks are told to do anyway. Keep on waiting.

w-w-we got it right this time we promise
just wait for polaris, bulldozer,zen, this and that.

Fuck this company and fuck all of you fucking dumb waitcucks for falling for this crap again.
>>
File: 1444574440217.jpg (228 KB, 2000x1356) Image search: [Google]
1444574440217.jpg
228 KB, 2000x1356
People don't shit on the AMD.
AMD people shit on the street.
>>
File: IMG_2870.jpg (211 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2870.jpg
211 KB, 1600x900
>>54833850
My niqa. I'm not sure why people feel the need to upgrade every 6-12 months. Had this system since Jan 2013 and MIGHT upgrade with this new gen. 1080p ultra gaymer graphics is a shitty, expensive meme for /v/ babbys
>>
>>54833717
Buyers remorse for spending 300 dollars more for the same thing.
>>
>Read up on polaris
>seek the performance claims
>they are only daring to promise nice colors

You can't make this shit up
>>
>>54834043
next to nothing, what a waste of money.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (34 KB, 643x481) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
34 KB, 643x481
>>54833717
Because they don't know any better.
>>
File: _D.png (12 KB, 246x200) Image search: [Google]
_D.png
12 KB, 246x200
Because AMD is barely competitive, allowing Intel and Nvidia to get lazy.
>>
>>54833717
intel and nvidia is perceived by the masses as THE go to for your "computer hardware" needs

i remember back around the time diablo 2 was released, my dad was talking about building me a pc to play it on cause our pc at the time couldn't run it

i remember very clearly him saying (paraphrasing here) 'at the office, everyone is raving about the upcoming pentium 4 so let's get that one when it comes out'

when buying laptops, when he sees the red amd sticker, he immediately thinks "budget laptop"

2004 he lost his job and built custom gaming pcs for a while, and whenever a client who has no idea about computers wanted one, he would put intel+nvidia stuff in the build without hesitation

the company's "brand" is just as important as the products themselves, sometimes even more important, because whether you like it or not, that shit really works for the consumer market

tl;dr AMD marketing/brand sucks
>>
>>54835094
Holy shit, the stocks raising like my dick, why is it raising?
>>
>>54833717
Because they have a cancerous fanbase. I always hear from friends about they their amd hardware runs bad with this software or that software and whenever anyone asks about amd on a forum or something similar I'd obviously tell them about these issues people I know have been having yet I instantly get shot down and called a fanboy shill. The amd products must be so terrible to create this level of buyers remorse and damage control.
>>
>>54835647
How their*
>>
>>54835222
>AMD marketing/brand sucks
As does Intel's for us who remember the 90's.
Doesnt have shit to do with money, i dont buy Intel out of princible, simple as that, no matter how shitty the current AMD silicon is.
>>
>>54833717
I used to like them all, Nvidia, Intel, AMD...
But the marketing plebs at Nvidia and Intel go brutal because they know idiots will buy anything,
because of their great market share. But top of the line AMD hardware is only beaten by crazy expensive top of the line gear of Nvidia/Intel, even then by only a little as 10%.
>>
Because people think you need 1337 gamer shit to be able to play their shitty pc games and generally do anything on a computer. intel and nvidia immediately come to mind for most normies.

You could A: buy an i3 with a shit iGPU
or B: buy an A8 APU that costs half as much and has a better iGPU

For most people that A8 APU is more than enough even to play modern games albeit on ~medium 720p settings.
>>
>>54833717
Real /g/entoomen don't hate on AMD. It all comes from /v/ idiots and reddit cancer shits
>>
>>54835817
was born in 1990 so don't know anything about that, just recalling my experience watching my dad get brainwashed by intel/nvidia marketing, he has a job in IT so computer stuff come up in conversations once in a while when he's chatting with his coworkers, and they mostly talked about intel and nvidia's latest and greatest, and when we walked in stores i remember him staring at the intel posters with the bullshit performance graphs and his face shows he is very impressed

he's old now and into collecting big old servers and workstations, he had an hp-z400 with a xeon w3520 + quadro 1800, and an hp-proliant with two x5670 processors last time i saw his 'hobby room', i would say the marketing got him really good
>>
It's fun, I enjoy shitposting and baiting people.
>>
>>54833717
Insecurity and autism mostly.
>>
>>54833717
It's my work.
>>
>>54836054
*tips fedora*
>>
File: 1464476077414.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1464476077414.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
>>54835223

Because
1. They signed huge contract with Apple months ago
2. They signed huge contract with Chinese gov a month ago
3. They signed huge contract for new PS4 and Xbox One updates
4. Zen and Polaris are on its way and if the price is right, they may sell quite well
5. Last and not more importantly, their stock was ridiculously low based on fear for too long.

There is no middle term this year though, or AMD shines or they disappear. What a time to be alive.
>>
>>54833717
They pay me to do it
>>
>>54833753
>it just werks
That's usually not enough.
>>
>>54836490
Indeed! What a time!
I can't wait too see what happens next.

That's a shitty laptop btw, Toshiba Satellite?
>>
>>54833727
>hardware loyalty
Fucking cancer.
>>
>>54836054
Indeed, brand loyalty is /v/ n reddit, not /g/.
>>
Because too many people suffer from hardware loyalty.

It's almost religious, Nvidia makes a fuck up, people are pissed of, the loyal cucks come and start calling them AMDrone shills
>>
>>54833717
Because they're sold to intel/Nvidia marketing that they're superior in everyway. While it is true that they perform better most of the cases, the best cost efficiency is always delivered by AMD. But since these stuff don't cost as much anymore no one is bothered to chip in extra to get slightly better performance.

Hence people act like it's the worst while in reality monopoly of intel/Nvidia would be much worse beyond my wildest imagination.
>>
>>54833921
Unless you wanna play ARMA with the store brand. Then you're pretty fucked.
>>
>>54836009
>albeit on medium 720p settings
why even live
>>
>>54836638
>>54836651
>>54836680
Have you been on /g/ the last 2 years? It's usually the other way, at least on this site, but I agree, brand loyalty is stupid.

Also no need to samefagging just to make a point.
>>
File: Clipboard02.jpg (61 KB, 943x318) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard02.jpg
61 KB, 943x318
>>54836783
Well, you seem very new. Talking about things you don't know.

>other way around
that are the faggots from other boards and 16 year olds, not /g/entooman.
>>
>>54833741

For desktop x86, anyways. They'll never challenge in mobile or server because they can't touch intel on performance per watt. Still, there are HTPC/home server applications that they could survive on. The graphics division will probably be sold/spun off with enough cash/debt to allow the computing division to keep scrabbling on.

x86 is dying anyways. PC gaming is all that's left propping it up.
>>
>>54836651
>le brand loyalty

No. Amd fanboys have a problem with everyone who doesn't use amd. If I make a thread right now asking about a problem with any intel cpu or nvidia gpu I'd instantly get shot down by deluded fanboys who start calling me an idiot for not buying amd and when I defend myself I'm branded an "nvidiot" or an Intel shill.
>>
>>54836778
But anon, indian kids can't afford more than that, don't make them feel like they can't really enjoy something just because they live in a shithole.
>>
>>54836833
Not true, there's a AMD thread, asking why AMD is hated on, nobody is talking like that.
Don't make up shit, also, if there's a thread remotely related to graphics or GPU's or even speccy thread and someone uses AMD, people always comment on it as AMD owners being poorfags. That's why they are called Nvidiots in the first place. Same is also happening in reddit, etc.
>>
>>54833921
Idk senpai I've had some store brand shit that tasted better than the name brand.
>>
>>54836490
1. They signed huge contract with Apple months ago
2. They signed huge contract with Chinese gov a month ago

Evidence where?
>>
File: 2canplaythat.jpg (80 KB, 943x318) Image search: [Google]
2canplaythat.jpg
80 KB, 943x318
>>54836816
>you seem new
>tries to prove he's not samefagging with a screenshot
>>
>>54836897
http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/04/19/apple-to-adopt-amds-new-polaris-graphics-chips-in-upcoming-macs---report
>>
>>54836819
>they can't touch intel on performance per watt

Not until now anyway...
>>
>>54833744
>implying
amdgpu is getting better and better, and AMDGPU-Pro is out in beta and is pretty good.
>>
>>54836928
>anonymous imageboard
Well, I don't give 8 cents about what you think.
>>
>>54836869
Everthing in this post is so wrong it's laughable. I've only ever posted 3 (three) speccys ever on this site in gpu threads and every single time I get shit on for owning nvidia yet I also know people who own amd that have posted speccys in gpu threads and absolutely nothing has been said about them. People don't hate amd, they hate their fanboy owners who like flinging shit in threads 24/7 instead of playing actual games.
>>
>>54836816
>that are the faggots from other boards and 16 year olds, not /g/entooman.

Again, brand loyalty is stupid Pajeet, that goes for AMD too.
>>
>>54833717
Shills.

t. nvidya user
>>
>>54836974
Where was there talk about AMD? Hm?
Calling others pajeet being a blind, uneducated moron on the internet is ironic.
>>
>>54836972
Proof? Someone being a AMD user may say the exact same thing what you wrote just replacing Nvidia with AMD and vice versa, see how stupid that is?
>>
>>54836968
If you wouldn't care you woulnd't be trying so hard my amd shilling newfriend.
>>
>>54836490
I'm gonna short amd stock they haven't delivered in ten years and they won't now
>>
>>54837025
I'm just trying to make a point for everyone else involved here, so they too see what's wrong with this board, as that's been the topic for a while. Nothing personal to you, just pointing out what kind of people are here now-a-days.
>>
>>54837019
Well Pajeet, there's such a thing as implied things, and not just as a greentexting meme, but real implications, just as in your posts.

Although, I recognize I may have jumped too soon at accusing you from being an AMD shilling, you can be just a brand hater, and that's just as bad as brand loyalty.
>>
>>54836946

Well, that's the hope. Even the most optimistic wellwishers are placing Zen a generation behind intel.

AMD's lack of vertical integration means their ultimate fate is up to intel: does intel undercut Zen and starve AMD's computing division to death or does it grant AMD the midrange desktop x86 market for some sort of concession (price collusion perhaps?).

For all the talk of AMD's missteps and generally silly decisions over the past decade, intel is facing extinction just as surely. Their refusal to sacrifice desktop x86 margins to compete in mobile has doomed them.
>>
>>54837019
>proof
I don't screenshot puny things like someone insulting me because of my hardware but it's still annoying.

>Someone being a AMD user may say the exact same thing what you wrote just replacing Nvidia with AMD and vice versa

No. My friends post speccys with 290 and 390 and nothing happens. I post a speccy with a 970 and get >le 3.5 >le gimp >buying nvidia even though these people don't even know why I how much cheaper I got it for. Don't be deluded and deny that people who own nvidia get meme'd on way more than amd owners.
>>
>>54837068
Sure thing kiddo, you were definitely not trying to samefag and you weren't trying to win an argument by accusing other people of being newfags.

Must be sad being you right now.
>>
>>54837093
Why or how much*
>>
>>54836783
>Have you been on /g/ the last 2 years?
Not them but we've been at it far longer than that. I've only been here since 2010 and it started long before that too. We used to call them fanboys though, not shills. Guess /g/ decided to switch to a more gender neutral word.
>>
>>54836972
well do you own a gtx970?
>>
>>54837059
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>54837307
Yes. I got it because of CUDA in premier pro and for £190. Is there a problem? I can already tell you're trying to meme me. This is why I never mention what gpu I have because all I do is get hate from amd fanboys who think they should be making my decisions.
>>
>>54837414
Premiere* pro
>>
fanboyism + young market (aimed for kids/teens)

Same with soccer/football teams. The need to identify with a "winning" team and the need to feel superior.
>>
>>54837442
only a cuck would be nvidia desu

Intel + AMD is the best solution
>>
It's in everyone's vested interest for AMD to do well. Monopoly of one entity is never good for the consumer.

And I just swapped CPU from AMD to Intel.
>>
>>54834468
Irrelevant, it just makes more noise.
>>
>>54833727
Pretty much /thread right here. They're the underdog.

Athlon 64 was golden. But Bulldozer/Piledriver/Steamroller fell far behind the promises of reasonable performance, ran really hot for its performance, and were relegated to the cheap but not very good option for years, really a distant #2 compared to Intel - pretty much back to the pre-K6 days. People are kind of hoping that (with the return of Keller to design it) the new Zen design is a return to the glory days, if not least because it might mean Intel might behave like they've got competition again and drop their prices.

Things have been much closer in the graphics card arena, with both major companies broadly neck-and-neck in both hardware and graphics driver quality (or lack thereof). ATi drivers were famously not great compared to nVIDIA, but nVIDIA's got worse recently (then AMD's got worse again, so they're about at parity again). nVIDIA came out with a 14nm card first and it seems to be very good; AMD are rushing to actually release Polaris next month it seems. We don't yet know whether that bodes well, or ill, particularly.

If neither performs well, AMD could be in real financial trouble. We might possibly all lose then, as with only one big horse in the race (Intel for x86 CPUs; nVIDIA for GPUs) the pace of development will naturally slow with nothing to fight against, and the prices will rise, because what else are we going to do?

There may well be an element of shilling - lots of companies do this, on all sides, which is irritating - but it's hard to know how much of this is genuine fanboyism, which is almost equally irritating and has been painfully rampant throughout home computer enthusiasts since, god, what, the Atari/Amiga days? Do we really care? As customers, I'd hope we generally want good, reliable, decent-performance hardware for reasonably cost-effective prices for all of our respective use cases, hopefully with drivers we can actually use, and don't care who makes it.
>>
>>54837632
nvidia doesnt have a 14nm card
>>
>>54834032
>budget
>2x 390x
>>
>>54837807
Agh, you're right. Typo. TSMC call their process at this broad scale 16FF+, so "16nm". Sorry. Read my post as more like "not a generation behind in fab tech".

It looks like AMD might be using Samsung's 14FPP process (note: not 14FPE) licensed to Global Foundries, or possibly Samsung's own fabs too (really not clear)?

They're sort of broadly roughly the same pitch for most stuff, but it's very much apples to oranges - particularly when comparing to Intel's 14nm process. The finer points (pun intended) elude me.
>>
>>54833717
Literally shills
>>
Because for the longest time I had to do everything on a laptop with switchable AMD graphics and that shit never fucking worked right.

I know it's not comparable to a desktop, I know mobile graphics don't get as much love and I know switchable is trash but still. Having to use a control panel that seldom worked to tell half of my aps to use a specific gpu? Lots of apps never working right anyway? On a laptop that ran as hot as the sun even with a cooler? Nah man.
>>
>>54833717
snobism
>>
>>54834032
Don't be so defensive. OP only wants to hear why some people shit on it.
>>
>>54837598
Not if you care about monthly electric bills.
>>
>>54834554
I think OP means price.
>>
>>54841012
muh 5 bucks a year
>>
>>54835080
It's almost like people will pay more for slightly better products!

You've been all over this thread, your one line responses all look the same. I'm calling shill.
>>
>>54837042
the only thing that's short is your dick
>>
As someone who used to really love AMD/ATI, we shit on them now because of how far behind they fell.
Zen is slated to be comparable to haswell at best as Polaris is Maxwell.
This isn't bad, but it's not good, especially when you're trying to compete.
They offer a decent product, but almost everything else outclasses it in almost the same price bracket.

While it may run a bit faster at a price, there were things like TDP and heat involved.
Another thing is that people typically want the newest and shiniest thing, and AMD won't be that as long as they just keep trying to catch up to Intel and Nvidia.
I honestly would love to see them become actual competition again soon.
>>
>>54837414
Don't worry, I'm a nvidia owner who gives people shit for their memecards
>>
>>54833717
>Why do so many people shit on AMD?
Elitism or maybe one raging shitposter? who knows

My life is AMD.
>>
>>54833717
mass exodus from /v/ has caused more nvidiots to shitpost here now
>>
>>54841278
>I honestly would love to see them become actual competition again soon.
They seem to be in a vicious cycle.

>Release underpowered hardware that requires more power for both performance and temperature control, mix that up with head scratching marketing.
>People are less likely to purchase AMD than Intel or Nvidia as they don't know exactly what they are buying
>Obtain less money for R&D as result
>Meanwhile the competition is yet another step further as they get more revenue and a larger budget for R&D
>Release underpowered hardware as a result next gen trying to catch on, losing money in the process

They better not fuck up Zen, otherwise it will take them two generations to catch up with skylake if they are still in the game.

Perhaps they should stick to mobile, and super budget stuff.
>>
File: 1296850715618.png (206 KB, 480x358) Image search: [Google]
1296850715618.png
206 KB, 480x358
>>54833717
Because they AMD as fuck
>>
>>54841777
Even in super budget levels intel is typically recommended over AMD at this point.

I really don't want to see them go under, as competition is good, but they supply no real competition at this point.
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.