[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Might not be the best place to ask, but I know there are some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: icon128-2x.png (23 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
icon128-2x.png
23 KB, 256x256
Might not be the best place to ask, but I know there are some macfags here and I would like a generally unbiased opinion. I bought a Macbook Pro in 2010 and it's got Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on it. I've temporarily had other Macbooks with Tiger and Leopard, and to me, Snow Leopard is an awesome, awesome OS. Then I downloaded Mavericks because SL was being phased out and it was a steaming pile of shit. So I went back to SL 10.6.8. Anybody here have El Capitan? Is it good?

tldr is El Capitan good or bad
>>
>>54828073
it's fucking bad, like a slightly better Mavericks in some points
If you want it to be not shit, get an SSD.
>>
File: 1440965501440.jpg (204 KB, 668x942) Image search: [Google]
1440965501440.jpg
204 KB, 668x942
>>54828073
>macshit OS
>good

Pick one.
>>
>>54828116
That is a damn shame. Thank you.
>>
>>54828116
Why does it take the 2015 mbp around 14 seconds to boot up with that NVMe PCIe ssd when Linux on an older ssd boots in <4 on an older ssd from 2012?
>>
>>54828178
>applel
Found your problem.
>>
>>54828073
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>54828073
Its much better than mavericks but lets face it, snow leopard set the bar pretty high. Also OS X in general does a lot of caching so that translates into a lot of disk I/O when it happens so you should upgrade to SSD if possible.
>>
>>54828295
Just out of curiosity, what qualities did SL have that made it faster than the others?
>>
File: 0406161031.jpg (170 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
0406161031.jpg
170 KB, 2560x1440
>>54828206
Thanks. Not sure why I didn't realize sooner.
>>
>>54828346
A lot of it is just nostalgia, kinda like XP and 7 in case of Windows but SL had arguably better support of multiple virtual desktops and no ever-existing cloud integrations ie iCloud so in a sense it felt more "botnet free".
Personally I don't miss it that much because its multi-monitor support sucked balls and arguably didn't get to windows or linux level until Mavericks.
>>
>>54828178
I own a PCI e ssd on my build of, and it's actually because of drivers, not because of Apple. I don't really like Apple, but PCI e drivers aren't fully optimized or some shit yet so it'll be a couple years before we get normal PCI e boot times. Theyre only like 10 seconds longer honestly.
>>
My experience with it has been horrid. It was on of the reasons I switched to gnu/linux. It's like they are having everyone beta test the OS. It is buggy and has several stability issues with the new split screen feature it added. I generally had issues with several 3rd party apps. It also massively fucked up disk utility. If you really want to see why not to use it just look at the reviews in the app store. last time I checked it was 2 stars...
>>
>mac os
>>>/fa/
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>54828073
Mavericks was far better than the current shit.
>>
>>54828153
Snow Leopard is the greatest though. It's hard to compare. I'm using El Capitan and it's "ok". Multi-monitor support on it probably the best thing about it. If I had a machine from 2010 probably would run SL too, or OpenBSD.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.