[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews /nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585.html
>Whereas GeForce GTX 1080 comes equipped with a full GP104 sporting 20 Steaming Multiprocessors across four Graphics Processing Clusters, 1070 sheds a complete GPC, losing five SMs in the process. That leaves it with 15 SMs, or 1920 CUDA cores (vs. 2560) and 120 texture units (vs. 160).

This is probably a retarded question, but would it be possible to just enable that 4th gpc on a gtx 1070?
>>
Yeah totally
>>
>>54827965
yes because it ''broked'' 1080 so we make 1070 with the non broked cores
>>
>>54827965
It's nvidia you're talking about OP, so no.
>>
>>54827996
meme aside, yes it is potentially possible

the way they manufacture these is that they make all 1080 chips, and ones that only pass 4/5 spec get branded as 1070's

amd does the same with the 8350 and the 6300 gpus. those that pass fully are branded as full, those that pass 3/4 are branded as lower

sometimes those tests aren't fool proof and you can unlock the full card. this happened recently with the Fury gpu and some people turning them into fully binned Fury X's

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fury+unlocked+to+fury+x
>>
>>54827965
Of course not.
Making complex chips isn't a perfect process, so they are designed to be able to ditch some parts of the chip while still having functionallity, this is called "Binning".
Its a pretty common thing to do, the binned chips with faulty parts are sold as a lower model so they don't have to ditch the entire chip.
The broken parts aren't the exact 5 that are disabled on the image OP, it are random ones that dont work properly under workload, so they are disabled, if you were to enable them just like some tri-core amd processors back in the day, you would have some luck if they worked ok but most of the time those had several malfunctions.
>>
GTX 970 3.5 meme all over again.
>>
>>54828104
>4/5
3/4
>amd gpus
meant cpus
sorry for typing like an asshole
>>
>>54827965
Its nvidia, so they probably laser one of the blocks off.
AMD cards used to be able to do this... you could turn a reference 6950 into a "6970" with a bios flash that would re-enable the cores. There might be more modern examples, but nvidia definitely lasers them.
>>
>>54828104
Not true. They laser out the fourth core so it cannot be enabled.
>>
>>54828147
oh, I did not know that

oh well OP. Looks like you should buy a 480 and try to turn it into a 480x. Better luck with that!
>>
Oh well
Thanks for the responses /g/
>>
>>54828108
Many times, in order to fill a quota for the lower spec cards, they will just disable perfectly good cores in a card. A lot of the 6950s were this, and you could flash the bios on like 75% of the reference ones to get it to nearly 6970 levels.
>>
>>54827965
Probably not in the immediate time period after release. As has already been previously discussed, the 1070s will probably be binned 1080s (assuming that the ICs are otherwise the same). However, it's important to note that as the generation proceeds, the yield of the chips is going to go up, and it may eventually end up where they're soft-disabling functional 1080s to meet the demand for 1070s (this has happened previously in some generations of i7s).

Although if they do what >>54828122 is describing (which I haven't heard of before, but would believe) then the answer is a hard no.
>>
>>54827965
nvidia and intell physically cut the access to the unused stuff.
>>
nvidia has been disabling shaders since at least c. 2004 with the whole 6800 ultra/vanilla/le lineup. basically they'll make a bin of chips and some chips wont turn out perfect (muh 1.7 yields), so they'll disable features of the whole run and sell them as a less powerful card. cpu vendors do the exact same thing
>>
>>54828305
But, when the demand for lower spec version is higher than higher spec version, they will actually disable cores using microcode on perfect chips to sell as lower spec version.
>>
>>54828343
you're right, that can be another reason
>>
File: horse cum 'milk' shake.jpg (511 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
horse cum 'milk' shake.jpg
511 KB, 1024x768
>>54827965
Yes but the gpu will be unstable
>>
>>54828438
thats cum dude
>>
File: eslavos.jpg (22 KB, 480x338) Image search: [Google]
eslavos.jpg
22 KB, 480x338
>>54827965

Yes and No.
>>
>>54828438
I cant reverse search on the phone, can someone sauce this for me?
>>
>>54828934
>save the pic
>return home
>reverse search
>zero shit
>/r/
>repeat
>>
>>54829012
I was hoping for a laugh on my lunch break but yeah, that backup plan had already been put in motion.

Jackass.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.