[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into the cybersecurity industry?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6
File: p11710290_b_v8_aa.jpg (230 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p11710290_b_v8_aa.jpg
230 KB, 960x1440
How do I get into the cybersecurity industry?
>>
>>54821167
If you have to ask that question, your never going to get into that industry.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
File: 4L_w9u740qJ.jpg (102 KB, 767x1024) Image search: [Google]
4L_w9u740qJ.jpg
102 KB, 767x1024
>>54821167
Have a vagina or dress in womens clothes and be a diversity hire like the girls who work for the tor project
>>
>>54821167
You study your fucking ass off and then succeed.

Source: myself
>>
>>54821375
Who is this fluid druid?
>>
>>54821624
A thirteen year old autistic girl.
>>
>>54821167
join the navy
>>
Programing?
>>
>>54821695
This isn't a bad idea, actually. They'll train you right up and you only occasionally get shot at by grubby foreigners. I think it's a good trade.
>>
>>54821167
Just do it
>>
>>54822324
Thanks Mr Nike
>>
>>54821636
And she uses tor;)
>>
>>54821167
explorer mindset
>>
>hack some security company's website
>leave your job application on the boss's desktop
>>
>>54822438
>get arrested
>hang yourself in prison
>>
>>54822489
>hanging doesn't work
>get sent to solitary confinement
>>
>>54821167
https://danielmiessler.com/blog/build-successful-infosec-career/

Seems pretty good.
>>
Put on tinfoil hat, act like that in the interview. Guaranteed 200k job as senior security expert
>>
>>54822574
this
>>
There is no fast track certification that will make you a security expert. Being a white hat or black hat hacker means that you know computer science really well, that means knowing assembly, understanding hardware, operating systems, compiler theory. If you dont know all these things you are either a script kiddie (black hat) or glorified sys admin (white hat) who just took a security course on how to configure servers and handle encryption
>>
>>54821193
>>
File: 1442157792323.png (7 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1442157792323.png
7 KB, 420x420
Do you know programming, kiddo? And I don't mean your first "hello world" program. A real hacker can solve hard programming challenges within a few minutes. Can you for example write a program that takes another program as input and determines whether the input program halts? If you have no idea how to solve this, then you are certainly not a hacker and never will be.
>>
You pretty much need to network, well socially of course. E.g. 2600/OWASP/ISC meetups. You also gotta be good at something, basically networking skills are needed in whatever you choose to specialize in (programming, pen testing, DFIR). I'm an analyst and to get there you pretty much take the networking route, because threat intelligence isn't really something you can do in your mom's basement.
>>
>>54822736
>Hur Dur solve the halting problem
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem
Fuck Off
>>
>>54821167

>delete system 32
>install gentoo

>git gud

>???

<you're cyber police now
>>
I had in mind you would just type up a python library, which requires knowledge of the program being used, which would take more than a few minutes. Is this what university software engineering courses do to people because RIP
>>
>>54821167
Get hired by the DoD, it's what I did.
>>
File: DSC_0030.jpg (3 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0030.jpg
3 MB, 4160x3120
>>54821167
Are you doing it for the money like all the other faggots or are you gonna do because your passante about cyber security because if your doing it for the money your just anothet school boy wannabe hacker.
>>
>>54822933
Well you got yourself meme'd, what's the next step of your master plan?
>>
>>54821375
I bet she received a good
>education
from her father
>>
>>54823247
>your passante
>>
Just install Kali and toy around.
>>
>>54821375
Would marry /10'
>>
I hope you know that even within IS/Cyber, there's a variety of different positions.

Many people transition into the role from being sysadmins and programmers because then they know how to secure those since they know how said systems actually work.

For military, Security+ is very popular and qualifies you for DoD 8570 IAT II.

Things you should know:
Networking
Linux
Security (In the sense of what keeping up to date with the latest news, what different attacks can happen and how, the difference between viruses and worms, difference between IPS/IDS etc.)

You might get asked by interviewers what sort of home lab you have, or how you get your latest infosec news.

Programming is helpful to know, but not necessary unless that's the security path you're interested then. Obviously you'd need to able to code if you want to do application security etc.

Networking in the sense of gaining connections in the industry is important. They can refer you and fast track your application, and sometimes they'll even get money for it if you get hired and last x amount of time. Knowing people will open up a lot of opportunities you didn't even know existed or thought you couldn't get. Hell, they'll even tell you about salary and what interview questions you'll get/what you need to study.

Experience (not necessarily Security) trumps all but certs and degree(s) help too. Ideally you'd have some combination of all three.

My things to know list is mostly geared towards operations/SOC/security admin types though.

Lastly, you will need INTERPERSONAL/SOFT skills in addition to your technical/hard skills. Don't be a total aspie autist, be able to communicate well, be a team player capable of working solo if needed without direction, etc. This is VERY important.
>>
you kill yourself
>>
Join the Navy (CTN rate) or Air Force and get posted to fort meade. Alternatively, get a job at the nsa, or as a civilian for one of the services.

In most cases, CNO developers/operators/analysts from the services (civilian or otherwise) are detailed to the NSA, which is one of the few places you can actually gain real security experience. If you look on the NSA job listing, you'll see that there are intership programs, check those out. They are full time positions, but you rotate around the agency, plus get a great education in security/development.

If you want to actually git gud, you're going to either have to self teach, or learn from real world experience. I'm a guest lecturer at times for various colleges in the area, and the students don't know shit about security. They've never dealt with a real intrusion, and they certainly have never gained access to a system to which they weren't supposed to have access. Most of them had no idea how to even write shellcode let alone deliver it.
>>
>>54821167
IT helpdesk > IT desktop support > Systems administration > IT security
>>
>>54823947
Alternatively:
College degree > IT security
>>
>>54823970
No one gives a security position to some idiot fresh out of college. My path assumes that you have a degree.

I have a BS in information systems and I am sysadmin/sec ops since my company is small that a lot of roles are combined. Currently looking to move over to dev ops since automation is my passion.
>>
>>54824042
Of course they do. I had to turn down security engineer and analyst offers out of college.
>>
>>54824042
Actually, yes they do.
>inb4 those aren't "real" security positions
>>
>>54824060
why did you turn them down? security jobs make pretty good cash
>>
>>54824060
>>54824111
Keep telling yourself that kid. Unless you had been interning the entire time you were going to school. You won't find an IT security position that accepts someone without experience.

Find one (that isn't an internship) and post it here.

protip: you can't
>>
>>54824042
>No one gives a security position to some idiot fresh out of college.
linkedin search "computer security" + "entry level"
38,141 results listed

many of us had security positions IN our college as well
>>
>>54824157
Can't believe you're this retarded, old man.

http://jobs.dell.com/us/atlanta/operations/jobid9968963-security-center-operations-analyst-secureworks-atlanta-ga-lisle-il-jobs

Are you pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>54824157
What are you talking about? I did an internship junior year like anyone else, and they offered me a full time position, and then I sent out resumes and went to career fair stuff and got other offers as well.

You spend too much time reading those garbage 50 year experience entry level position craigslist ads.

Your entire college career should be spent doing things on your home lab and learning, which means you can check off experiences right there.
>>
>>54822489
>tfw my friend got his first IT job by hacking into a small local isp and shutting their shit down during a holiday weekend
>isp owner was impressed with my friends skills and hired his ass instead of pressing charges.
The owner was actually happy to have the security problems exposed so that he could patch and fix that shit.

This was in the 90's though and it was the pre-9/11 era in America, a time before the complete idiocracy we live in today. If a teen did this today they would be jailed for the rest of their life probably.
>>
If you really want to get into it, join the Air Force ROTC after high school, they have the best cyberwarfare programs. Get a your EE or CS degree, finish your contract as doing a related MOS and get out. You'll have the degree, certs, and experience with no debt. And you can go back and get your masters on the government's dime.

You'll be 26 by the time you're out and you can get a sweet job working for a military contractor for 150-200k.
>>
>>54824190
The internship is experience you daft faggot.
>>
>>54824060
>>54824042
some companies do hire security engineers right out of college. then, they let the Chinese make off with all of our credit card account numbers.

US companies are getting owned every tick of the clock, many of them don't even know it. Security education is essentially worthless if you ask me. Most security products are shit too though.

If you want a job, and you actually want to know wtf you are doing, and want to succeed for real in that job, you're going to need some real deal offense experience.

The security positions and industry we have today are glorified IT people. They just set up configurations, map networks and come up with sperg policies that non technical people will never follow. Its not entirely their fault though, companies are not willing to put the money forward to pay for real security experts and the necessary hardware/software to implement a stronger security posture.
>>
>>54824189
That obviously requires experience. l2read idiot
>>
>>54824291
And? That is a summers worth of experience that literally all college students can do.
>>
>>54824174
I just graduated high school 2 weeks ago.

getting an internship is easy as heck
>>
>>54824315
Almost no one does this anon.
>>
>>54824312
Preferred
-Associates Degree in a systems administration, networking, or technical field such as computer science or engineering, or equivalent experience

Also I know people who got a position there fresh out of COMMUNITY college or well, technical school. Whatever.
>>
>>54824174
>38,141 internships
>>
>>54824340
Wrong. The people who don't do that are lazy/stupid. If you don't put effort in during your education you won't get much back out of it.
>>
>>54824351
You realize the people that make those ads (recruiters) have no idea what the job entails lol
>>
>>54824351
Community college gives more relevant work experience than a 4 year university, which is why CC graduates make more immediately upon graduation than 4 year graduates.
>>
>>54824366
You are now aware that 90% of your classmates are lazy/stupid.

I'm surprised you didn't figure this out earlier anon.
>>
>>54824408
Plus student loan debt is the biggest scam ever.
>start your adult life with 100,000+ debt that you can't ever claim bankruptcy on just so you could go to a 4 year college to do jello shots with stacy and chad at frat parties.
>>
>>54824370
That's implied. You realize it doesn't say "required" though right? Anyways, like I said, CC grads or even those still in CC sometimes get an offer from places like SOCs for entry-level positions. No internships, but labs can count for experience, to some people.

>>54824455
>you'll never make it in life unless you have a bachelor's!!!!!!!!
>>
>>54824424
90% of my classmates had internships.
>>
File: cyber-expert.jpg (200 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
cyber-expert.jpg
200 KB, 1280x800
>>54821167
>Get fancy CC info computer degree
>Use custom Android rom experience in CV
>???
>profit
>>
>>54824455
That's your own fault that you choose not to study. Why would anybody attain a loan just for the experience of consuming jello shots? You don't need a loan just to do that.
>>
>>54824455
There are plenty of schools that do not cost 30k and above a year.
>>
>>54824525
Having any debt when you are a fresh faced little nigger in this economy is a bad idea. So even 30K is a bad idea. I have many friends who were borderline suicidal after they got their expensive degrees and then couldn't find legit employment for like over a year or more. And these were intelligent friends. It was fucked up watching them get so desperate and scared. They all worked it it eventually but this was like 10 years ago and i'm assuming it's only gotten worse. It really depends on the field but for many jobs it's more about your passion for the field, your portfolio, and your actual skills than which jew school took all your shekels.
>>
File: 1462326229943.png (825 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1462326229943.png
825 KB, 700x700
Welcome to the army/NSA recruitment thread, were you either get recruited or told you can't into infosec.
>>
>>54824596

>your actual skills than which jew school took all your shekels.

This. Don't know why people hate so much on smaller state schools or community colleges. I got a great job as a Sys Admin and I went to a state CC that literally cost me $3800/year. I even got a pell grant the last 2 years and didn't pay anything.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.