[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Void vs Alpine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: void_vs_alpine.png (34 KB, 885x400) Image search: [Google]
void_vs_alpine.png
34 KB, 885x400
Which one is better and why?
>>
I was tempted to make this thread also.
Apparently Alpine is buggy
>>
>>54817739
Can't decide which one will give you more snow flake points

Both are garbage though
>>
I use alpine on my VPS, it's amazing and the package-manger is increasingly fast, people always say pacman is fast, but compared to apk it's a slow piece of crap.

Anyways, if you insist on using one of these distros, Void for desktop usage, alpine for anything else.
>>
>>54817862
Yep, noticed that too. Apk is crazy fast. How do they do it?
Void boots faster though, thanks to runit, but runit's user experience is... unusual. I heard rumors Alpine guys considered switching to s6 from openrc. Can't find confirmation though.
Why do you think Alpine suffers on desktop?
>>
>>54817956
Well it's mostly musl, I /need/ the nvidia driver for my mpv placebo config, and void supports both glibc and musl. Anyways, if you don't use anything that specifically depends on musl you could probably use either.
>>
I personally prefer void. My main issue is with systemd. GNU would never screw me over like lennart.
>>
>>54818175
Alpine doesn't use systemd either.
>>
>>54818175
>my main issue is with systemd
Why do you think 99% of the distros (and even mother fucking Debian) choose a system?
>>
>>54818335
*systemd
>>
>>54817956
how is runit's user experience "unusual"? i use void as my main distro (came from various forms of debian, really liking void) and i feel like runit has quite a smooth user experience. also writing init scripts for it is a breeze.
>>
>>54818281
Doesn't use gnu utilities either, though. I don't have anything against those.

>>54818335
Probably because they're literally retarded, just a guess.
>>
>>54818412
I'm not saying it's bad, just not what people coming from either sysv or systemd are used to.
Strating a service by making a symlink, wtf?
Also apparently you can't start a service without adding it to your current runlevel. If it makes your system unusable, you have to reboot into single-user mode and remove it from there.
>>
>tfw no systemd-less distro that just werks
>>
>>54818487
>Strating a service by making a symlink, wtf?
How is that weird, many many mainstream programs use this way of configuration.
>>
>>54818524
No, not configuring it by making a symlink. The service actually starts the moment you make a symlink and stops when you remove it.
>>
>>54818487
Apache and a lot of other programs enable and disable things like this. What's the big deal?
>>
>>54818487
i wasn't implying you said it was bad, if it came across that way. yeah, i guess the symlinking is kinda unusual, but i find it really straightforward once you drop the idea that everything needs to be abstracted away into oblivion.
the runlevel thing i can't really say much about, i have never had that happen to me.
>>
Wont Alpine be dead soon since the dev got a job at Docker or something
>>
>>54818640
alpine is being used by docker officially now, if anything it'll get more funding and publicity.
>>
>>54818502
Puppy?
>>
>>54818669
I didnt know puppy still existed.
The closest thing I found was LMDE and that is dated too
>>
>>54818669
Is it even still alive?
>>
>>54820098
it must be, the PCs in my uni library use a modded version of puppy
>>
>>54817739
Gentoo
>>
>>54820128
Universities typically aren't shining examples of software updatedness but it's good to know that at the very least it hasn't been forgotten.
>>
>>54818335
>if it's popular it has to be good, right?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.