[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of password is more secure?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: Wolfermelon.jpg (148 KB, 960x731) Image search: [Google]
Wolfermelon.jpg
148 KB, 960x731
I've heard both ways that the most secure password is either a random string of characters (j6n4kgfhyr8jr8jf9) or something personal.(MyBigDogRex) Which one is more secure?
>>
>>54810094
It depends on a lot of things, but a long sequence of random characters is the most secure. However, that shit is obviously incredibly difficult to remember. If you want something you can actually remember, you'll obviously want to use words.
When it comes to passwords made of a string of words, you want to use very uncommon words or made up words, and don't try to form a sentence with them.
Also, "common" substitutions are useless (i -> 1, e -> 3, etc.)
>>
>>54810094
A password gets exponentially harder to crack with each character. Dictionary attacks can make it slightly easier to crack a password, but if your password is 20 characters with some nonsensical substitutions, it doesn't really matter because it would still take forever to guess.
>>
>>54810094
With quantum computers it won't matter as the most complex passwords will still be cracked in a few days.
>>
You're asking 4chan?
>>
>>54810094
combine a few words with a random string
>>
>>54811176
Well seeing as we're just now barely even in the infant stages of quantum computing (beyond a significant amount of bits)
That doesnt matter right now.
>>
It should be long and memorizable. This whole thing of "use random characters" is bullshit.
>>
File: pic not related in any way.jpg (92 KB, 640x482) Image search: [Google]
pic not related in any way.jpg
92 KB, 640x482
>>54810094
Something with numbers and symbols like ThePurplePandaEatsPopCorn@127963# is going to be very secure. The best way to stay secure is to use a different password for everything. Use two factor authentication whenever possible. It all depends on how sites store your password. If it's in plaintext you're fucked. Some sites actually do this shit. I use 4 email addresses at any one time:

>Work (only used on a dedicated machine)

>Personal (social media, friends, family, specific services like Google play, crApple account, Netflix)

>Random (used for stuff I don't completely trust or care about. Not quite a throw away since I'll use it many times)

>Throw Away (changes all the time. Only ever used once or twice. Always though sigaint or openmailbox. Under no circumstances will it ever contain information linking it directly to myself if possible)

That's basically what I do to stay secure. So far it's worked well.
>>
>>54810094
Ones not UTF-8 or ANSI and english unicode
>>
File: 1365631306558.png (199 KB, 376x302) Image search: [Google]
1365631306558.png
199 KB, 376x302
>>54810094
Use whatever characters you want Unless it's a standard english word with maybe some numbers after it it's all the same. It just comes down to length at that point. The longer your password the better. By a lot.

Using numbers and punctuation and stuff doesn't make much of a difference at all compared to just adding one more letter on the end.
>>
>>54811176
This is why they invented "5 attempts please wait 24 hours" even though you have 6 common passwords you use and it's always the final 6th for that account
>>
Is a 64 character password from random words, strings of letters, numbers, and syllables impossible to crack?
>>
File: 1408075893218.jpg (18 KB, 259x240) Image search: [Google]
1408075893218.jpg
18 KB, 259x240
>>54813573
do you really imagine people bruteforce password by inputting into the fucking box?
>>
I used a random string generated by a program I made a long time ago. They usually gave something like "h79GhU8zO1". Been using 3 different ones and they are in my head.
>>
>>54810094
the only secure password is a string of random characters. Any password that has a word in it is vulnerable to dictionary attacks.
>>
>>54813573
>>54812300
fucking tech-illiterates shitting up /g/
>>
Oh you CAN keep it simple....

√ You have a Keyboard that has Alt and Numpad..
>>
>>54810094
My passwords are names of obscure religion-related vocabulary of dead languages and forgotten gods.

Most people don´t know anything about the era they come from, let alone the specific culture and language, and you really have to dig deep to find any writing mention of them.

For safe measure I modify them slightly to make them easier to remember, which also makes them not fit the "mold", should someone close to me ever decide to try with old gods and somehow come across those I use.

I knew studying Classic Philology at the university would pay off some day.
>>
>>54810156
Long 1337 romanized foreign language strings.
>>
>>54810094
Why would that wolf eat a watermelon?
>>
>>54813630
Nothing is impossible to crack, the only real way to increase security is by making a password that is long as possible with completely random combinations of allowed characters, individual password for each of your accounts, and changing those every now and then.
>>
>>54814963
Dogs fucking love watermelon, and melon even more.

Can imagine wolves do too.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.