[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
programing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Grim_Patron.jpg (316 KB, 1414x1886) Image search: [Google]
Grim_Patron.jpg
316 KB, 1414x1886
i decided i want to learn to program but i dont have any knowledge about the subject, can you guys give me a quick guide of what languages and where to learn from?
>>
HEHE, PILE ON
>>
Learn Java , find a book called Head first into Java v2 and generally search Java tutorials. Omce you master Java youll be able to quickly learn other languages. Inb4 poo in loo
>>
>>54809770
EVERYONE, GET IN HERE
>>
>>54809770
You should pick whatever language makes you excited to learn.

Some fags are gonna be posting "learn python" and "learn c" and bunch of other BS. There's really no correct answer.

Some major languages are:
* Java
* Python
* C(++)
* Ruby
* Lisp

Look up each language, some examples of its uses, and learn the one that is used in ways that you think are interesting.
>>
>>54809878
ok im gonna look into that, can you tell me wich do you preffer and why?
>>
Learn PHP first. It's one of the easiest languages to learn. Install Apache and run the script from your browser. You don't need fancy IDEs, just a simple text editor to write the code.
>>
>>54809979
Python is the easist to learn, because of it's english-like syntaxis and you can make some powerfull things with it like web backends and simple games.
>>
>>54809979
Personally, I'm a Lisper. I think it's the most simple language out there, and that it's very practical language. The downside is that there aren't a lot of jobs as a Lisp developer, so it won't help you get employed. That being said, Lisp is a work of philosophical beauty.

Java and C++ both have lots of job opportunities. C++ would be beneficial if you want to gain more understanding of the underlying computer architecture, while Java frameworks like Spring, Swing, and Hibernate make it very easy to develop on anything from the web to the desktop.

You can't really go wrong. I'd recommend reading a book dedicated to your language while simultaneously working through another book (maybe "The Art of UNIX Programming"?) that explains software engineering.

There's a few books you should definitely read, as they are classics in the field:
* The K&R C Book
* The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
* The Art of UNIX Programming
* The Pragmatic Programmer

I'll end with this: you should ideally learn a bunch of different languages. I'm pretty comfortable in basically every mainstream language, plus a few esoteric ones. Each additional language you learn makes the next one easier. Eventually you'll stop caring so much about language and start being concerned more about design and architecture :)

Also: anyone claiming that one language is easier to learn than another is full of shit. It really doesn't make a huge difference. Pick what you like.
>>
>>54809770
Please don't develop on windows, at least install ubuntu, xubuntu (light), manjaro (bleeding edge), or gentoo if you have more intelligence than a 5 year old.

Learn C.
Read "C Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata. K&R is too old. It says to use just main() and not int main(). And, some of the info in it is outdated.

Don't listen to these obscure books in this thread, no one talks about them for a reason.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/562303/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list
>>
>>>/g/dpt/
Please ask more small easily Google-able questions here.
They will be assholes but they help you regardless.
>>
What do you guys consider to be the best language for day-to-day computer applications, like video and music players, readers, image viewers, managers, etc.

Im a beginner and I thought about using java(the language that I know) for this, but I think its too slow.

Also, what would you guys use for file manipulation and searching?
>>
>>54809979
I prefer Lisp, but as >>54810171 said, not a lot of Lisp jobs out there. The industry is embedded in imperative languages (Java/C/C++/C#) because of the limitations of machines back in the day and the mark that preference left. If you want to strut your stuff and show that you're a programmer who's worth a lot, go for Lisp. It'll make you a good programmer and a good thinker, and there are job boards out there offering Common Lisp/Scheme/Clojure jobs out there that'll pay you good to move across the country or even out-of-country. Of course, learn imperative on the side.

If you want a wide breadth of opportunities, then sure, learn the imperative languages (I'm not specifying one since they're all pretty similar with some small differences to make them better in specific domains), just know you won't get paid as much and you will be dispensable. Big companies like to hire programmers with dime-a-dozen skills and knowledge so they can optimize for high turnover, which leads to shitty software development practices where nobody owns any part of the software, so nobody is valuable, so you can be replaced on a whim. If you want to prove you're a great imperative programmer, it's gonna take a LOT, and it's often never recognized ever.

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs is good for learning Lisp, might be okay for a complete beginner.

Zed Shaw's Learn <X> The Hard Way series is probably best for an absolute beginner in the imperative languages. For a first learner, I'd go with Python and Learn Python The Hard Way.
>>
>>5481217
Learn Python the Hard Way has got to be one of the worst books on programming I've ever read, and certainly shouldn't be a recommendation for a beginner.
>>
>>54812366
>Absolute beginner

No other programming books are even thinking about this. The most famous industry books are not made for beginners.
>>
>>54812538
It's a shitty book anon. There's no reason for that crap to keep being suggested.
>>
>>54809770
https://www.google.com/about/careers/students/guide-to-technical-development.html
>>
>>54809808

Either this or Rob Miles Yellow Book for C#. As I'm assuming you just want to learn it to get a jerb.

I mean, if you were an actual enthusiast, you wouldn't be making this piss poor thread when we have daily images of traps holding K&R.

Got a problem with that? Well, you know who I am...
>>
If you're a child begin with Scratch or Byob and after learn Phyton or other, like Java or C++
>>
>>54809770
A FIGHT, COUNT ME IN
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.