[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the consensus on Discord? I've used it when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: discord-bg-1080x675.jpg (36 KB, 1080x675) Image search: [Google]
discord-bg-1080x675.jpg
36 KB, 1080x675
What's the consensus on Discord?

I've used it when I'm playing games with a friend or two sometimes with the free servers they let you make. At first the servers were a bit touch and go but recently it's been working fine.

But I got thinking about it and how they are even making money off of the program. There's literally no way to purchase anything besides maybe a shirt or a hat from them. Is this a honey pot or some sort of botnet? How are they making money off of providing good quality chat and voice servers for completely free with no premium?
>>
Still relatively unstable, friends and I get occasional disconnects a few times a week. Also owned by a turbo jew who is going to sell the service to gooks in a year or two, who will have no clue how to monetize it and will let it die.
>>
VC funds are the only reason it exists, they have no solid plan for how to make money.

Mumble is free, open source, encrypted and painless to setup and maintenance is practically nil (if any). Our group has no need for Discord and none of us plan to ever switch over to it.
>>
>>54801646
It's bound to go pay2use at some point. It's also a complete black box when it comes to security, and you have no way to know what data they collect from you, or how they handle it, and to who.

Lots of unanswered questions makes Discord a really shady solution. If you don't care about what happens to your data or your personal info, by all means, use it, it's free, and you have to pay for other decent options or stick to shit like Skype. If you care in the slightest, like you should, you should avoid it at all costs.
>>
I don't trust it.
Free software that I have to use their servers and can't host my own.
>>
The first hit is always free. They need to attract decent userbase first before they can start the jewing because no one would move over to Discord if they had paid features from the get go.
>>
I like to use it for competitive games where we can have subs flawlessly come in when our main players are gone as well as other team leaders join our discord with a simple link and not have to type out address and troubleshoot for them when the can't get in. That and you can post stupid memes from your folder whenever your group feels cancerous in chat with the image uploader
>>
>>54801646
>servers
Calling them servers is a lie to make it seem like they give you more than they do, it's the same a chat room in skype technically.

Also for voice it's not really comparable to ts3/mumble. It's actually a skype replacement in the way it works, and it works pretty well as the text client it's meant to be.

>>54802003
>>54802047
>>54802055
>>54802061
Also this. It shouldn't be trusted. They want people to get walled in and build communities and have friends on their lists when they reveal the cancer they'll use to monetize.

>>54802110
>type out address
Why the fuck would you do this?
>troubleshoot for them when the can't get in
Never happened to me.
>>
File: 739[1].png (38 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
739[1].png
38 KB, 625x626
>>54801646
>What's the consensus on x?
Stupid asking /g/ this stupid bait shit and get a life
>>
Just host your own teamspeak3 server
>>
>>54802382
*stop asking
>>
>>54802382
How is this even bait? We're discussing VOIP programs.

Chill the fuck out you insufferable autist.
>>
>>54802407
This thread is posted every fucking day in some form, and asking /g/ for a concensus is like asking a woman where she wants to eat
>>
>>54802433
Cool

Then fuck off and stop shit-posting.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.