[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CAT 7 is it necessary? Or CAT 6 is more than enough?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 14645066732181145891441.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
14645066732181145891441.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
CAT 7 is it necessary? Or CAT 6 is more than enough?
>>
What the fuck for?
>>
>>54796992
You tell me
>>
Cat7 isn't a real thing yet.
>>
>>54797093
Ya
>>
>>54797093
how can we possibly know what for? you're the one who will be using it.

this is like asking us what tools you need for a home project without telling us whether your home project is installing some shelves or adding an extension to the house.
>>
>>54796856
What else are you going to use for your 10 Gb and 40 Gb ethernet connections?
>>
>>54796856
Bitch, you could have bought 3m of slim Cat6 for 700yen. Why did you pay more than twice the price for Cat7? You probably don't even have 10Gbit Ethernet cards if you are asking this.
>>
>>54797109
I dont even know whats its used for since our internet speeds only goes up to 100mbits. It claims to go up to 10gpbs, like what kind of system uses that?Servers?
>>
>>54797162
And it would have been 2.8mm thick instead of fucking 4.3mm!
>>
>>54796856
Do you need 10gbps LAN speeds over relatively large distances?
If so, then cat7 might be useful. But then, why wouldn't you just be using fibre instead?
>>
>>54797183
>why wouldn't you just be using fibre instead
Probably because fiber is fucking expensive and fragile.
>>
>>54797193
And how expensive is using cat7 with 10gb copper NIC's?
>>
>>54797103
Actually, it is.

It's awesome - Foxtel even approved it here for CATV/Sat installs.
>Yes, <1ghz RF installs over CAT7a...

Do you need it for your Ethernet though?
No.
>>
>>54797170
Servers, storage systems, workstations with very high bandwidth requirements. Switches have already very widely moved to 40Gbps uplinks, and 100Gbps isn't unheard of either.
>>
>>54797215
You could use Cat7 for 10BaseTX if you really wanted, you don't need a new NIC.

Fiber on the other hand is rather expensive for short runs and completely unnessary now that 10gbe-baseT is cheap enough.
>>
>>54797170
you might set your home network up to run on 10gbps cable so you can transfer files more quickly from one place to another. like if you have uncompressed 4k content and you want to stream it (apparently that would take 12gbps but you'd get pretty close).

or you might want to be prepared now in case infrastructure in your area improves in the foreseeable future. when i was growing up my parents decided to wire the house with cat5e despite us barely having 100kbps internet at the time (we lived in a remote place) because if we got better internet speeds then we'd regret having gotten something fundamentally pretty limited like Cat5.

but if you're not running wires through your walls, then the cost of replacing your "infrastructure" is low. it might be cheaper just to get what you need now and then buy replacements in a few years after more high-bitrate content is out & the tech is cheaper.

but you see how this is impossible for me to answer without knowing basically everything about your uses?
>>
>>54797274
>You could use Cat7 for 10BaseTX if you really wanted, you don't need a new NIC.
Yeah, you could also get an HDMI to component adapter, but both of those are completely ridiculous.
>>
>>54797318
Not really, I suppose it pretty useless for a patch cable (unless you needed it) but for an in-wall installation it's probably not the worst idea.
>>
>>54797274
> You could use Cat7 for 10BaseTX if you really wanted, you don't need a new NIC.
If you're only doing 1gbps on a LAN, you don't need CAT7. And that makes the comparison moot.

CAT7 is only really necessary if you're doing 10gb speeds over reasonable distance. And at that point, you might just be better off with fibre.
>>
>>54797308
All good i just wanted to know, they were selling the cables at a retail store assuming its going to be for general uses. Its pretty rare to find higher end equipment on public display. Usually its at a wholesaler's site for a specific audience
>>
>>54796856
You'd probably be fine with CAT 5.
>>
>>54797423
I don't know, I'd personally go with CAT7 to avoid lossy transmission when streaming audio from my home server.
>>
>>54797430
You'd get better results with a coat hanger.
>>
>>54797430
>I'd personally go with CAT7 to avoid lossy transmission when streaming audio from my home server
That's what TCP/IP is for.
>>
>>54797308
But wiring up with cat 5e was 20 years futureproof because it was so ridiculously higher than your Internet connection, it was like wiring up with 100GB when you "only" have a 200mbps connection.
When I wire up the place I'll invest in cat7 and I'll put multicore fibre links, because fuck installing it in five years.
>>
>>54798136
this is fair if you're talking about wiring your house up as infrastructure, but if you're just going to run the cables along the corner of your room or something, just buy whatever makes sense right now. don't pay out the nose for bleeding edge cables that you won't saturate for 4 or 5 years just so you can say you didn't have to spend money 4 or 5 years out. in that time those cables might become trivially inexpensive.
>>
>>54796856
that is not a Cat7 cable shown there
>>
>>54796856
I use CAT5e and works well.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.