[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g, One question please. I have to replace a fan on a PSU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 2.jpg (43 KB, 450x497) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
43 KB, 450x497
Hi /g,
One question please.
I have to replace a fan on a PSU since this fan is becoming noisy. Since i don't want it to fail and make the PSU overheat, I'm willing to manually replace it (don't care about warranty).

The fan on this PSU is this model: HA1225L12S-Z (120 mm, 12 V, 0.33 A, 1500 RPM) with 3 cables, soldered on the PSU.

I was looking for a better replacement (pic somewhat related) but want to hear your advice on that.
Since is a PSU fan i want max reliability. I don't know nothing about the bearings, makers, etc.

Any advice on the matter? Thanks.
>>
>>54788622
You will likely die or be hospitalized if you attempt this.
>>
>>54788622
You will need to make sure the starting voltage on the new fan is the same that and read up on how to safely discharge the caps
>>
>>54788759
this post is how you know there are fucking 15 year olds using this website

fuck off you retarded shit

it's easy as fuck to do, takes 5 minutes in google to check up on safety precautions, and can be done by literally anyone
>>
>>54788622
Just make sure it can handle running at really low % of max rpm and with voltage control rather than PWM. Most fans intended for cpus coolers can do it, most case fans fail to spin up below 50% power.
>>
Make sure you discharge the capacitors first or else you'll be injured or possibly killed by the electricity stored in those things.
>>
>>54788872
Electrician here, never discharged a cap in my life.
Just don't fucking touch exposed conductors it's not hard.
>>
Noctua is reliable.

Fluid dynamic bearings are more reliable in general.
>>
>>54788933
Too bad that fan won't spin up below 50% voltage. It's only good on PWM.
>>
>>54788921
What the fuck.
Why not ?
>>
>>54788933
Nahh your gonna want a dual ball bearing fan in there
>>
>>54788622
I did it in a simple way with mine. I've just connected the fan to the mobo 4-pin connection so that I can precisely control it along with other case fans. There is really no need to connect the fan to the PSU PCB.
>>
>>54788792
>>54788810

Thanks for your advice. So first I need to check that the fan can run on the same starting voltage of the one that need to be replaced.
And yes I know how to handle caps, but thanks for your safety warning. So about the fans, any recommended brand?
>>
You want to use a ball bearing fan. Any sleeve bearing variety, Noctuas included, do NOT take kindly to horizontal operation.

Use a Gentle Typhoon if you can find one.
>>
>>54788953
I probably confused fluid dynamic with ball bearing for a moment.
>>
>>54788988
Maybe look at industrial stuff like sanace or ebmpapst, a vadar might work if the starting voltage matches and it's easy to get hold off them to
>>
>>54788807
hey man... I was on 4chan too when I was 15.

>11 years ago

fuck my life.
>>
Just attach the fan to the PSU 12V rail, like you would any other case fan.
>>
>>54788622
>Since is a PSU fan i want max reliability.

Noctuas are probably the most reliable, but they are priced accordingly. They have a S12B model that comes with no accessories and is significantly cheaper, however (almost half).
>>
>>54789038
And no, NF-P12 wont spin at less than 6V, so better not use the PSU's own fan controller.
>>
>>54788952
Because then you get shocked, by the remaining energy stored in the capacitor. It is not really lethal on a computer power supply, but not something you want to fuck around with.

IIRC you don't need to discharge shit in a computer power supply, since they run on mains voltages, and by the time you take them apart, the caps should've lost most of their charge.

Now if you take apart some high voltage device like a CRT monitor, then you have to pay fucking attention to discharging.
>>
>>54789014
An industrial fan would do absurd amounts of noise since they run at like 3300rpm.

>>54788622
OP, when in doubt, order the exact same part that the power supply used. It won't be better any it may start failing in the same amount of time, but it won't be any worse either.
>>
>>54789135
They don't all run that hard
>>
>>54789117

Having been shocked by capacitors in cameras I've taken apart before, I know how bad the shocks can be. The capacitor of each camera is usually around or above 100uf and rated at 300 volts. In comparison, the large capacitors in a PSU is about 2000uf and rated at 200 volts. That's 80 times more energy. Keep in mind it won't be line voltage. I wouldn't want to test out how bad the shock will be.
>>
>>54789225

If they are designed to cool server racks and whatnot yes they will.
>>
>>54789117
Not this. I meant, why don't you discharge capacitors ?
>>
>>54789135
I don't want to use the same fan. This PSU isn't fully modular and I don't want to re do the cabling even once a year is absurd. I had other PSUs that had the problem, but in a 3 to 7 years time. This is 6 months old
>>
>>54789692

He is an Electric Six fan, thats why.
>>
>>54789029
My immediate reaction was that you're full of shit since this garbage hasn't even been up that long.
>sudden realization I've wasted more than a decade's worth of free time here
This is totally not good.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.